It's official, this game is dead

same with every patch till now, it has declined to a 3k´ish playerbase after while.

remains to be seen if its enough to keep a bit larger audience this time.

frankly (speaking for european servers) not many more are needed to provide a good flow through the day, though i wish this experience for everyone no matter the server zone.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Game charts around Top 100
You, an intellectual: “Guys, game is ded!”

6 Likes

Exactly. I like this update. Ive been playing non stop anyway so little challenges to go for will spice my gamplay up a tiny bit

3 Likes

You must be really fun at parties, OP.

2 Likes

For me at this point it’s pretty dead. There’s enough people to keep queues going, but for a game that’s ostensibly sold several million units, even getting one half of one percent of its sales base online seems to be a fevered impossible dream.

I can’t get anyone interested with HDII and DRG stuff going on, and nothing in this update is appearing to entice any of my gaming pals back into DT. Pennances, gas stuff, and some very random talent changes after months of content drought isn’t much incentive to reinstall.

3 Likes

It seems like you just entered a nest of fatshark ball licking fanboy. Sorry bro. This happens once in a while.

→ Goes to the official Fatshark Forums
→ Is surprised the place is populated by people liking Fatshark Games
→ Demand the place changes to accomodate their demand
It’s all so tiresome…

8 Likes

In fairness, there are quite a few post by people that dislike the current Darktide

But still, if a game displease you, cut your loss and go cold turkey

4 Likes

You really should check my post history lol

7 Likes

lets just say you have your prof pic for a reason :stuck_out_tongue: :people_hugging:

2 Likes

I like you.

Sub-3k on the Steam charts, I’m afraid, but they do have the console crowd to add to that.

I think it’ll all come down to when they land the next patch with real new content:

1. Before summer and it might keep people around until autumn with the promise of more goodies towards the end of the year.
  2. After summer and towards autumn they really will be on the ropes with old players, and will need to land a fair amount of new customers to keep the money trickling in via MTX purchases.

Fingers crossed!

1 Like

I mean personally this hasn’t really moved my GaF meter to reinstall it but for people still playing I wouldn’t really call it nothing.

I’m fairly critical of a lot of recent FS decisions and even I recognize that completely redoing the whole system for Penances took at least some work.

Does it really do anything for me? No, I’ve never been super huge on character bling hunting even way back when. If I do start really playing again I might get a few by accident and even use a few because they seem to be OK.

That’s the key word from what I’ve seen from others so far, they are O.K.

Do I think the new enemies and conditions are ok? Sure but it’s kind of a rehash of “the floor is lava” to a degree. It’s something. I’m probably going to be using that phrase a lot for this post really.

Are the puzzles fun, do they change anything? I honestly wouldn’t know because they haven’t really hinted at any or peaked my interest enough to re-run the same maps and actually look.

I will say from a distance the balance changes like this update end up leaving me more apathetic or neutral depending on how you look at it. We finally got a bunch of sought after changes but also some weird nerds to things.

I’m mostly excited for other stuff right now like finding out what the dog doing in Helldivers so unless something really ground shattering comes out I’ll probably be over there.

Guys it’s official, this game is now called DoodooTitty. Trust me guys. Guys it’s official.

2 Likes

Game is indeed dead…

DEAD GOOD!! :ok_hand:

3 Likes

more like fartdied amirite

1 Like

Fartfight.

I’d play that game.

I think I have played that game.

1 Like

Game dead? Hmmm…
Following the principle of Schrodinger’s Darktide, the game was DoA, has been dead since December 2022, has died several times, most notably in July 2023. At the same time it’s a niche banger, is totally good the way it is, was never meant to have 20k consistent player base and has been SO BACK at least 4 times…

Impossible to label anecdotally, I’d say.
So, let’s get some reference, if the Forum is to serve some perspective:
Sorting all topics in the General category (which outpaces every other category in traffic, closely followed by Bugs and Network Issues respectively…) by Views, we note the following, by highest number>>

By View:
  1. Speculation thread from 2020, suggesting AdMech and Eldar Ranger will be PCs. (aaah, hindsigh)
  2. The Memorial, ever there to remind the world of some of the worst game design ever presented.
  3. a DKoK Speculation thread from 2022. (aaah, more hindsight…)
  4. The Cross-Platform complaints and speculations thread, before we knew the reality of it.
  5. Flash Missions speculation thread.
  6. The main Aquilas debacle of late 2023 thread.
  7. A guide on how to score 380 bases. Nice.
  8. Player Retention thread. Mm, that was fun. Still is, reading through it.
  9. The HELLDIVERS2 thread (the one that outpaced all others, there were more… hell, I made one…)
  10. Cosmetics bashing thread, and FS business practices…

But you know, this is not the most indicative, obviously. Player counts have dwindled and the people reading the forum are barely 1/10th of the number prior to/at launch. So, let’s see who posts…
Sorting by Most Replies>>

By Replies:
  1. The Memorial. (hey, crafting and items in DT generally suck, have you heard?)
  2. Sharpshooter was the posterboy and a tad OP until OCT4. The thread.
  3. The HELLDIVERS2 thread. Yes. #3 in most replies on the DT forum atm is about another game.
  4. Vet was nerfed post OCT4. The plot increases in thickness…
  5. The main Aquilas debacle of late 2023 thread. Again.
  6. Revolver is OP past OCT4. Mhmm…
  7. OCT4 speculation.
  8. Crossplay sucks, at least so far as the PC crowd is concerned.
  9. A Poll about the Crafting System and whether the Forum likes it. (what do you think the vote came out to?)
  10. Player Retention thread.

In conclusion - the conversation around this game, within its official forum, contains nothing positive. The game certainly isn’t great. Maybe not even good. But is it dead? Well, no. I mean, kind’a… It’s complicated.

We need more context! Is it being played?
To the charts! insert 60s Batman transition

By the Charts! The game is certainly not winning any popularity contest. Simple as. It's at best an example of peaks and valleys. At worst - a repeat of previous FS labors, only this one was the latest, most marketed and brandishing the strongest IP. Depending on whose opinion is currently last in the thread, this might mean the game is a pitiful joke and the worst the industry has produced, or a perfectly normal specimen of a niche game with great quality... (What, you expected another collage of snips and vague points about other games in the genre? Useless, that. We all know. We can all google "Darktide Steam Charts" and see... What, you want me to type it in for you too? Lazy DT fans...)

So… IS IT DED?! Eeeeh, we still don’t know? Is it making money?!

By Sales and Rev F**k if we know. It's on sale at the moment (I think...) Been so several times. The total numbers by the trackers are alright, maybe even impressive, but nowhere near groundbreaking.

There’s no accounting for mtx. We. Just. Don’t. Know!
The studio might leave it after this Oct 4th… Who knows?
“But Stampede, VT2 was like this for years and…” yeye. We know. DT was obviously an attempt at something else, with 10c money and the 40K IP backing it. Different thing. Which, usually, brings out a different historic precedent.
“So, Stampede, the game is borked and will never reach it’s potential…” ehhmm, probably not. But it might get better to the point of a resurgence. Might stabilize. Might get to that 10-15k stable playerbase.

Final answer - it’s boring. It’s mid. It’s inconsequential. It’s… mediocre.
Not even near greatness enough to be noteworthy in a positive sense.
Not bad enough to be taken behind the office materials closet and shot.

Just there. Not dead. Not really alive, to use that word.

3 Likes

im convinced you guys just WANT the game to fail just to have an excuse to cry about it online in fatsharks forums. the game aint dead, youre just mad. people have been asking for new penances and free cosmetics as long as theyve been asking fir weapons and maps, dont go doomer because they decided to redo the penance system first lmao.

some of yall make me cringe hard.