Incomplete Game at Launch - Paid DLC for new Character Class?

I’m not sure what caused FS to release an incomplete and unoptimized game, but what worries me is the possibility that they intent to charge money for new classes they add into the game.

In Vermintide 2, they had five characters with 3 career choices at launch. In DT we have four generic NPC characters with one career choice.

I wonder if FS has the audacity to charge more money to put some flesh on the skeleton of game that they chose to release in an unfinished state.

I’ve played the heck out of V2 and happily purchased the extra classes when they became available.

I can guarantee that that will not be the case in DT because there is no way in heck I’m donating any more ducats to a game that has less QoL features (no scoreboard and no way to check other peoples inv, etc -) and less user friendly systems (hello RNG everything) in place.

So much goodwill has been lost already. Charging for more character career choices will be the straw that breaks many a camel’s back.

12 Likes

The game is incomplete, yes. But VT2 was far from complete game when they released it. You can’t see Bomber’s bomb fire (globadier), spawning enemies behind you, silent hounds (thaggoraki), etc.

So your goodwill is actually fabricated by Fatshark’s long development to fix basic bugs and QoL.

1 Like

My goodwill is waning because DT is far below the quality bar set by V2.

I get the FS development cycle. But yet again starting at zero and not learning their lessons from V2 is disheartening.

8 Likes

I think the first few new classes / career paths will be free.

1 Like

VT2 had 15 free classes on release.

DT has 4.

VT2 had 10 completely different maps on release.

I honestly don’t even know how many does DT have because the mission screen is atrocious, but many of them reuse maps.

7 Likes

I hope so.

1 Like

The point is that as much as you like vermintide 2, it started out worse than darktide is currently.

The massive assortment of classes in vermintide 2 was wasted bc their balance was so off that only a few were viable during launch.

Darktide will be better than Vermintide 2 in the end, Fatshark just takes a long time to get there in all of their games. (and they don’t learn from mistakes in their past games, they need to relearn mistakes on every game they make.)

1 Like

Right. Technical stuff, connection issues, glitches or bugs are not the same as incomplete and taking steps back in design decisions. “VT had bugs” vs “darktide is bad in its designs” not the same.

12 Likes

I hope for at least a full round of free career before they start considering charging for them, especially as they are going all out on the cosmetic microtransactions compared to Vt2.

well with all its trouble Vtide 2 was a progress on VT1 on every aspect while Dtide is on downgrade on everything outside of the combat gameplay (which is important but not everything). four years of leading on a succesfull game should have had more impact on it.

2 Likes

That would be the height of scum, so its about a 50-50 chance basically.

3 Likes

Greed is your answer for all questions involving Fatshark.

1 Like

Not like they had the entire development cycle of VT2 to know what the community wanted and didn’t. Also you are daft a f if you think VT2 launch was worse than this. 11 less classes, less customization, no shared inventory, less maps.

I bet god wishes he had worshippers as strong as you worship FS.

6 Likes

Do you think I worship FS? I advocate Fatshark?

Sorry that you got that vibe from my comment.

What I meant was they did not great job before, so we should not trust Fatshark to do different in the first time. And it will take long time to fix this game just like VT2.

I expect them to do so, but I also expect that to be the thing that pushes me to play other games.

I disagree. No lorebook in VT2, no way to work steadily towards a red that you want other than farming other reds via RNG, the singular account level between characters was a better system than 35+x, health regen was arguably more balanced than thp ended up. There are probably other points but it’s been a while.

VT2 had technically four classes. The others were flat out unviable for play. Only through balance tweaking were the viable, and that took many passes at balancing.

I’ve never had the feeling that I’m being pissed on so much. I’m not a fetishist so I find it unpleasant.

1 Like

Unless you wanted to do full book runs on legend, all 15 were perfectly playable, and they got tweaked within a year to be functional on whatever you wanted to do.

If you start thinking how long it is going to take Fatshark to release another 11 (ELEVEN) classes in DT, well, the game will be long dead by the time you reach that date.

Assuming they manage somehow to keep their one class per quarter schedule, which I VERY much doubt given previous experience with Fatshark’s schedule, it’ll take them till 2025 to have the same amount of playable classes VT2 had on release.

And that’s not even talking about the price, if you think they are going to be releasing classes for three years without charging for them, well, good luck.

2 Likes

Considering both Waystalker and Shade were extremely vaible, Shade moreso because of the weapons back then, we are already at 5 classes.
Witchhunter and BH were both extremely good aswell, no one played WH though, because people wanted to see cool numbers instead of having a really strong support character. I think Zealot was nerfed from beta to release (attspeed on ult down for example) but was one of the classes to solo legendary with bots early on sooo… but still already at 6 working classes then.