Inaudible backstabs

At times, you can get hit from the back or the side without audio playing or it being barely audible.

11 Likes

At times? :sweat_smile:

For me its more like 1 in 5 cases where the sound does play…normally it doesnt.

5 Likes

Pain.

4 Likes

I have noticed this bug about 6 months ago, and though I don’t know exactly how the mechanic works, I’m definitely wondering if the trigger for enemy hits in the back (the Woosh as I call it) is the same as backstabs for Shade ; aka there is a cone behind you and if an enemy prepares an attack within that cone, it triggers the woosh.
You can see in all of the clips that the enemies hitting you are not exactly behind you, so I’m wondering if the angle of the cone hasn’t been narrowed at some point in the patches last year. Also, the narrower the cone, and the closer an enemy is, the more exactly centered they have to be to be in that cone ; and so the woosh triggers less often.

That is my empyrical analysis of the disappearance of the woosh.

5 Likes

ATM sounds and audio cues are quite unreliable. Silent specials and elites are the norm

4 Likes

been trying to replicate this but it’s proven difficult, even when playing generally

Side note: it’s funny on 200+ ping getting the audio cue AFTER being hit

8 Likes

What is your FOV?

The monk clip didn’t play a backstab because you looked at the monk when he began his attack. Monks and zerkers play a backstab sound at the beginning of their flurry attacks. If you’re looking at them when they begin the attack, it doesn’t trigger a backstab noise. Although it’s not very helpful given the nature of their flurry attacks, it is “working as intended.”

The mauler clip clearly plays a backstab noise before you get hit.

The other two are very interesting though. As incan said, we have been trying to consistently replicate this bug to send to FS. I think your FOV may actually be the missing piece to figuring it out.

1 Like

Or just have some enemy like Gor in the high/low ground smacking ya with its 0,2 second attack and you literally hear the sound the 2nd it hits you.

3 Likes

clearly ? I’m not hearing it…

Are you playing it on your phone or something?

Edit: the sound plays at 0:06

you can actually see the Mauler drop in

1 Like

So out of these 4 clips, only the first one is actually missing the backstab sound.
It plays in the second one but is drowned out as somebody started talking just as the sound began. Discord or whatever is being used is far too loud and I wouldn’t be surprised if this player had trouble hearing special sounds when people are talking.
In the third one, you can see the rat in the bottom left corner but is obscured by the chat window.
And the last one is beyond me. Half of the Mauler falls through the player in question but he ignored it and there is clearly a backstab sound.

I am not advocating that this isn’t a problem nor am I saying that it is a rare one. The vast majority of these clips however, are simply not examples of it.

We’ve tried a lot to replicate the bug, which usually isn’t that hard for most bugs. We haven’t replicated it a single time. I’ve also noticed when going through gameplay of my own where I think there is a missing sound q that it either triggers or I swiveled my camera enough to see the beginning of the attack. I really think that the system works as intended pretty well. The system does need a few tweaks though. In this case, it looks like most of his problem is related to having a very low FOV.

1 Like

No. A standard one. I don’t think playing with a fish-eye lens should be a requirement.

Is it standard? I couldn’t tell. Well, as any guide will tell you, standard FOV in this game Lowers your awareness a ton, as shown above. In at least 2/4 clips, he sees the attack on screen but didn’t recognize it as an attack because of low FOV.

73 FOV, in an effort to reduce eye strain. Though that shouldn’t change anything.

It’s easy to tell that in the first, third and fourth video there simply was no backstab sound at any point. Though hard to tell, there is no audible backstab sound for the initial hit in the monk video.

This audio volume is the norm for me so I don’t think I have any issue discerning sounds from one another. Especially when playing it back in video form

The mauler clip clearly plays a backstab noise before you get hit.

Surely you can recognize the difference between the backstab sound and the “entering a new area” sound. A mauler grunting during its swing isn’t the same or even similar to the sound of an enemy about to backstab you.

So out of these 4 clips, only the first one is actually missing the backstab sound.

Also @SlashKex, I feel like you’re being deliberately wrong here. Unless these videos are much quieter in volume to what you’re used to.

Me messing up or not paying attention isn’t relevant here, only the (lack of) sound is.

2 Likes

hard to tell if the sound isn’t playing or is simply getting lost/indistinguishable from all the other sound tbh

I guess a lot of this could come down to individual sound settings too

I mean. It plays a backstab sound. Idk what to tell ya bud. There is a very loud whoosh at 0:06 before you get hit.

Also, as I explained, only the first attack of a monk flurry triggers a backstab noise. You look at the monk when he begins his flurry. That’s him raring up. Then you turn your back to him and get hit a moment later. No subsequent hit in the flurry plays a backstab noise. This is intended (although an admittedly bad idea).

The clan rat is in the bottom left of your screen.

As far as FOV. The theory would be that if you were playing at less than 65 FOV and backstabs are configured for 65 FOV, then you could have situations where an enemy isn’t in your FOV but wouldn’t register as being “behind” you. However, you’re over 65 FOV so that shouldn’t be the case. I’d really like to see what happened with that marauder from another perspective. That could maybe give some clue as to what caused the audio failure. Did someone else on your team happen to get a clip of that?

You look at the monk when he begins his flurry. That’s him raring up. Then you turn your back to him and get hit a moment later.

I don’t get your point on this, there’s no looking at an enemy that wasn’t there. Unless verticality or walls aren’t relevant to your point.

I’d really like to see what happened with that marauder from another perspective. That could maybe give some clue as to what caused the audio failure. Did someone else on your team happen to get a clip of that?

Sadly no.

1 Like

Oh yeah. The resolution was pretty poor and the camera swings fast so I originally thought Kruber was a monk. In any case, the monk begins his flurry when you look over towards Kruber. You can tell from the direction of the sound that he is the way you’re facing when you look at Kruber. That screeching is usually made at the beginning of a flurry attack, which is why a background sound didn’t play, presumably. Whether you actualy saw the monk or not, the game thought you saw the monk bc you’re looking in his direction when he started his flurry. I would guess that particular issue is some kind of a texture issue with the wall or that gate you’re standing on. Monks do the thing rat ogres do where they will flurry through an object and once their flurry is over, they yo-yo back. So that could also have been what happened.

And too bad. I was wanting to see which attack the marauder did. Whether it was running or standing.