I wish monsters didn't have a health bar

Just my two cents - I like the health bars. There’s important information and feedback there.

It’s fun to see how much damage a big attack is doing, and it’s a good cue for when a team has too low DPS, or when a troll is regenerating.

Like, yeah, if you could convey all that info well through textures, effects, and animations, that’s fine too but the game doesn’t do that well now and it seems like a lot of work when health bars do the same job.

If they just went away it would definitely detract from the experience for myself and the small group of friends who play with me.

1 Like

Really? So most posts on this board is absurd as they propose changes to the game for everyone?

The mental gymnastics lmao.
More than half of the posts on this board are bug related issues that affect the game in a negative way due to things not working as they should be.
The other posts are just like this where someone proposes a cracked idea on how they feel others should enjoy the game for xyz reasons.

The cognitive dissonance is astounding.

1 Like

Nice, so all who makes suggestions of changes to the game are mental cases? :sweat_smile:

It’s not really a question I need you to answer.

For the others out there, next time try and hide the health bar somehow and let us know what you think about the idea of removing it all together.

I think you haven’t really made a case as to why this is a change that should affect everyone and not just the people who want it.

Like, why should someone like me, who likes the healthbar, have it removed? The health bar doesn’t break immersion for me because my immersion already involves a heads up display. I also don’t “fight the healthbar”. I look at the boss a lot. I would die if I didn’t.

Cons:

1. I wouldn’t be able to see how much damage my attacks do
  2. I won’t be able to see how my allies are faring with the boss if I’m kiting a hoard
  3. I won’t be able to see troll regen or regen interruption progress
  4. I won’t be able to see health regen from chaos spawn
  5. I won’t be able to tell if a boss is one hit or fifteen hits from death.

Pros:

1. RealMjau has a more immersive experience
  2. ???

Help me out here.

1 Like

For me the cons you listed are pros.
I don’t think I can convince you it is a good idea, but I hope enough other people do.

You’re not helping to dissuade what I said, nor acknowledging the hypocrisy in your statements.

He can’t even stick to a line of thinking, dont expect much out of him.

1 Like

There are principles of interaction design that are being violated without the health bar, though. Namely that user actions should have obvious, visible, understandable reactions from the application so that the users know intuitively that their actions have an effect. When you’ve railed into a monster 15 times with your mace and the monster’s condition hasn’t visibly changed you have no way to tell if you’re even having a substantial effect. With smaller enemies this is less of a problem due to stagger animation and relatively quick death feedback.

Secondly, there are game mechanics in play, things that the game does that prompts action from the user, that are conveyed solely through the health bar. There is no way to know that a troll is regenerating health when he is slumped over. How are players supposed to know that critical information?

This is like broad UX design consensus stuff, not like just my personal opinion.

If your suggestion is to just stop presenting critical info to players why the boss health bar and not the player’s own health bar? Or their ammo count?

Like, what’s the guiding design principal that would lead you to that kind of a decision?

3 Likes

One of the best weekly missions are the ones where there’s no UI. Much more immersive.

However, I wish there were more information displayed to the user without UI as in numbers and bars. Health could be shown as a screen effect, bombs as actual models dingling from the top of the screen, chargeable weapon bars as brighter shine on weapon etc etc, i really really would like that.

However, I think it is unlikely they would implement that at this stage.

Sure, it would be nice to have better visuals on the monsters status on the monster itself, but for me it would be a great plus to just take away the health bar. From playing the game I pretty much can comprehend if a monster takes a beating or not without it. If I sometime would missjudge it would just be a nice thing to learn from.

Again, if that’s how you like to play the game, I don’t think there’s anything stopping you. I believe the mod is still waiting to be sanctioned again after the Chaos Wastes update, but once it’s up you just pop UI Tweaks in the official realm and you are free to change the UI in any way you like and play however you want to your heart’s desire.

1 Like

This I agree with. I think unless they significantly beef up the non-UI information available to players, the health bar on bosses is a necessary evil.

The only difference for me being that I don’t mind having it really at all. It’s a very simple solution to a problem that could be solved in a much more elegant but resource intensive way.

In the meantime, there are mods.

1 Like

But Rat ogre in Vermintide 1 was much more trivial…

1 Like

Monsters in VT2 are trivial too if you have one or two of the “boss killer” classes in your team. The game would be better if bosses presented a challenge to ALL teams, regardless of composition. The OP ults just ruin all that. That’s why we have so many “Buff Skarrik” threads and why Nurgloth is waay more difficult in a team with no BH, Shade, GK (or bluntsman). The game balance just sucks cause of a few ridiculous ults.

1 Like

Play without a HUD, it’s the current weekly event. I just did it an hour ago. It didn’t change anything. Bosses are still easy to dance with, there’s just a new level of uncertainty of when it will go down. And my reaction to that is a big ole “who cares.” Removing the health bars of bosses doesn’t enhance the experience. I resoundingly vote against what you are proposing. The opportunity cost of implementing this silly suggestion isn’t worth it. It will delay necessary changes that weren’t just dreamt up while you were sitting on the toilet.

EDIT: You have plenty of ways to make the game more difficult for yourself. This change is essentially gatekeeping. Accessibility is what keeps a game successful.

1 Like

Blockquote EDIT: You have plenty of ways to make the game more difficult for yourself. This change is essentially gatekeeping. Accessibility is what keeps a game successful

This TBH. You sound like you want everyone else to partake in your masochistic streak of having key information taken away from you.

Why stop there? Why not remove sound cues so you have to literally be looking 360 degrees at all time and have the reflexes to catch that assrat mid leap?

My suggestion from the beginning was to keep the health bar for lower difficulties, so no worries.

I’m afraid I can’t agree with that. Most of the fighting games has health bar, yet that doesn’t hurt gaming experience or make players feel like they are fighting against health bar instead of opponent’s character. If it did then most of the devs would have already cut it out. Now I do have an experience on a fighting game that doesn’t have it which is WWE, but I can’t say the existence, or nonexistence of health bar affected my gaming experience by any means.

To me the health bar in V2 is just an information. Part of UI, as it should be naturally. If that means something more than that to you then I can understand that, and I also would understand it if you were asking devs to add an option to remove it. I’m afraid that it doesn’t seem to be what you are asking for, and I see many people who wouldn’t want that change here. Due to that I don’t see devs removing the health bar completely, thus I’d say the best you could hope for is for devs to make it optional.

My suggestion from the beginning was to keep the health bar for lower difficulties, so no worries.

My issue with that is that is that you would be removing a fundamental part of the gameplay to enhance the difficulty. Fundamental as in it’s what players use to gauge and decide their next actions and this just ends up making the higher tier difficulties more inaccessible as is. Veteren to Champion difficulty leap is massive as is. Still, if you believe it enhances gameplay immersion I really can’t argue.

:joy:
Many great ideas in history was probably formed while sitting on a toilet.

I find it very difficult to compare WWE to Vermintide. The only similarity would be they are both computer games.
Take Dark Souls games as an example, they have a health bar for all enemies. I wouldn’t make a suggestion to remove it in those games as I think they fit there for that type of game.
Vermintide on the other hand has a completely different fighting mechanism and type of immersion.
Take Metro Exodus as an example where bosses do not have a health bar. Metro Exodus is a game pretty much made for immersion, just like Vermintide. Here’s a video of a fight with a boss in Metro Exodus, it is in many ways similar to monster fights in Vermintide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM_WlAy7B9A