I think I'm done

I ended up getting a Deimos Blaze Sword & Void strike staff with amazing ratings over 75% (380) only to get terrible perks and tier 3 blessings. Just made me sick to my stomach… I just want to have fun and have cool builds but your gacha gimmicks today may have just ended it for me, might be back in a couple months or just forget about this game. Just tired of it. I don’t know anymore…

47 Likes

One more for @brosgw 's memorial.

17 Likes

Now I feel kinda bad for bragging about my almost all 80% Revolver with Hand Cannon IV…

2 Likes

No, a victory over rng is a victory for us all. I have a number of weapons good enough to name with the naming mod, but when one is lost to RNG, we are all diminished.

No player is an solo,
Entire of themselves.
Each is a piece of the community,
A part of the game.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend’s were.
Each man’s RNG fails diminishes me,
For I am involved in the game.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the RNG crushed,
It crushes thee.

8 Likes

most times the bar eats you so its nice to see little glimmers of hope. I am truly sorry for your lots OP, you have my symphonies.

4 Likes

getting the optimal roll isn’t as important as you might think, often the difference betweeen a tier 3 blessing and a tier 4 is negligible (beyond crazy stuff like power cycler)

i do hate the crafting system too and i’d like to at the very least be able to upgrade blessings/perks to higher tiers of the same modifier without wasting a reroll since the devs seem to refuse to remove the reroll limitations or implement a way to get past them

2 Likes

Oh I’d say it depends on what you are going for and how it interacts with your build.

On a ripper gun, you really, REALLY need inspiring barrage to maintain toughness during ranged combat. That leaves you with only one blessing as an option, and your perks. Ideal perks might be manic damage since the buggers are so dang tough, especially in higher levels, and either crit chance or reload.

If you are running a build that gains resistance off bleeds, bleed related blessings are going to feed into that.

So will the rolls on the weapon traits. Ripper guns being excellent examples still, you’ll want stability and ammo over everything else, since the difference between 21 and 18 is an entire burst, with a short burst if you get anything in the middle, and that’s without even talking about reserves.

I’ve been after deflector 4 since launch, and I still don’t have it. I have deflector 3, and it’s good, but 4 would change the block effency by 6-7 %. That would mean caught flat footed you could go a good bit further to get to cover before your block breaks.

Additionally, if you had total freedom to experiment you could find that putting block eff and stamina in the traits of your deflector sword would have an amazing level of assistance to your playstyle, but you can’t even really do that because crafting’s cost is too high.

It’s not JUST the locks, it’s not JUST the cost, it’s not JUST the RNG that is so punishing and unpleasant on any interaction with the crafting system, but all of them together as one, and there’s no REAL reason they can’t all be patched out tomorrow.

4 Likes

just to be clear i do not disagree with the RNG system being bad, especially with how much we have to roll for base stats. i just don’t think tier 4 optimal 380 max godroll weapons will have as much impact as people play them up to be

for example, tier 4 deflector actually gets you 2.5% more block efficiency over tier 3 (approx 1/5th of a block perk on your curio) and re-rolling into 3 block perks on your curios will cost like 450 plasteel, which is less than a single damnation run

Exactly. It’s going to take you an entire run to change that little thing. And that’s without the search for the acquisition of blessings.

Even if you have all the blessings, lot of players with less play time to spend would have to grind for a week to get the resources to try one new weird build… and that build might not work and the whole thing would be wasted.

It’s no wonder people are quitting because they can’t experiment even with the level 3 blessings because of the cost in time.

2 Likes

you do not need to aquire blessings for curios, you have full access to all perks off the bat

Not the point. Point is the time investment on a whole build. And the reinvestment required to redo it to try something else that might not work.

3 Likes

Welcome #508. Although you may be done, your name and thread will live on.

9 Likes

Actually Deflector does nothing across all tiers AFAIK because the block cost reduction doesn’t actually take place carnival music. So if they do nothing, or little to nothing, they aren’t actually ‘god rolls’ and this entire argument that they’re trying to keep the game challenging deflates (nerfing enemy AI is achieving that in droves imo). Let people indulge in their OCD and stop trying to gate people out of memes like vet shovels and force swords with ludicrous 10+ blessing pools (2 things I rarely see used). It all hurts the variety in the gameplay most of all, when your limited crafting resources atomize into garbage twice as readily as they make anything decent. On top of the general deluge of garbage items to begin with.

5 Likes

This is true. I think I’m just about the only joker foolish enough to still use a force sword exclusively on a psyker. Sometimes I’ll run it with a pistol, but I really love having a shield.

Doubly so, I mostly use the Illisi, and I really think I’m the only one doing that, but I like the pattern and it works really well as space creater.

But suppose I wanted to copy my current build with another just like it except I put soulfire perks on EVERYTHING! (Yeah, soul blaze seems to suck, but let’s say I want to try it, and be the ‘everything on fire’ guy.)

Well, Blazing spirit on my sword and staff (well, the ones that take it) is going to take up one blessing. Deflector on the sword another. AND it procs off crit, so there’s a perk I’m really going to benefit from. Same with warp nexus on the staff, (and really on the sword too if I want to go full out.

So that means I’m almost doomed from square one with my ‘everyone is on fire’ dream build since I can’t control a perk and two blessings.

But, let’s say I do it. I do it, and I get it perfect… and I find out soul blaze kind of sucks. (Or if it was good, it gets nerfed.)

Damn. That would really hurt after that massive investment in searching for blessings and plasteel.

2 Likes

Not sure why people are so obsessed with min-maxing. So long as you know what you’re doing, know how to use your build and communicate and work with your team you should be able to make it through any level 5 mission.

The only thing I’ve noticed that’s truly making or breaking a weapon is it’s blessings. Sure unlocking blessings sucks an ogryn turd but besides that there isn’t a noticeable change to my gameplay if a weapon has 4% more finesse than what I had previously.

Not to say you should have to put up with poor rng based weapon crafting mechanics, but rather it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t have that extra 10% impact, because ironically it doesn’t make much of one on the gameplay.

1 Like

It‘s an emotional thing. Of course a 360 with T3 perks and blessings will usually do the trick.

But when you finally find a weapon with next to perfect stats and hadron then blocks it with perks and blessings that suck so that your old 360 turns out to still be better all the happiness over finding a great item is reversed into frustration.

Games are all about emotions - the only reason to play them is to have fun. Frustration kills the fun.

7 Likes

Some weapons have notable breakpoints that aren’t reacheable without a 4/4. Thrust in regards to perks reaches far more breakpoints with just the t3 to t4 difference because it’s a 15% more multiplier. A few more specific t4 examples exist, but I’m tired of having this argument.

Regardless of whether you’re beating missions easily or not though its absolutely infuriating being locked out if your favorite weapon being crafted up properly, or not being able to get an accurate comparison on a new one because you can’t get the proper breakpoints on it.

This does not include the people who don’t, or simply aren’t capable of spamming quickplay Damnations for max plasteel.

They find out that not only did they brick a 380 godroll weapon, but that its not even a good one anyways they would probably just quit because on Malice its 8 matches just to have a shot at one. At that point the game has made it clear it doesn’t respect your time.

8 Likes

Spent 2m last night trying to get a good weapon base to gamble away.
Got 2 375+ ratings.
Got the wrong blessings and low tier perks.
However came up with this design needs a reality check.

3 Likes

Sucks to hear. I’m in the same boat. Maybe, just maybe, once the game is fixed we can have runs together. Or they don’t fix it, in which case it’s unlikely. I’ll pop in to play a new map once or twice but it’s the gear and achievement progression that keeps me hooked and this just sucks as it is right now.

… same boat is a bit of an understatement. I just don’t bother with crafting at all. I play games to have fun. This is the antithesis of fun.

1 Like

My sympathies are with you OP.

I want to say that Darktide takes an attitude adjustment. Not thinking of it like other games where BiS is expected and also needed, but rather one where “good enough” is often no different from that BiS, and even when its not it’s so close it barely even matters.

Which is why many of my best weapons have horrible base score like my oggy’s 330 GG: melee dmg doesn’t matter, blast radius really just adds knockback to nearby mobs so doesn’t matter, and 80 vs. ~65 ammo iirc was like 3-4 shots so same there. Often the opposite is true too. Deflector III on a Force Sword is only -2.5% block efficiency vs. IV, less in total efficiency. Not to mention the many many Slaughterer / Deathspitter / Fire Frenzy / cleave blessings etc. which also only make for such a tiny percentage of difference it won’t make any difference for a single breakpoint. And T5 is all about breakpoints. If you can kill the enemy in 1-2 hits either way and the stats or blessings won’t make any difference there, then it’s effectively already a top tier weapon.

That’s what I want to say. And it’s all true ofc, but… those things don’t apply to every weapon. Some, like Thammers, depend on very specific very high stats and great blessings both. And expecting everyone to put in the same crazy hours into the game I was lucky to be able to isn’t fair from either me or Fatshark. New people with little prior gear or unlocked blessings may need millions of credits and tens of thousands of plasteel (or even more) to craft a single specific weapon. That’s completely unreasonable.

It’s sometimes easy for us long-time players to forget just how completely reliant one is in that RNG for getting anything at all in the start. Nevermind that specific weapon one really wanted.

So Godspeed whatever you decide. :people_hugging: