Heroic Deeds - Special Chest Rewards

This is one of three threads I made in the Steam Forums but remained ignored as people prefer flaming each other instead of discussing feedback. I hope it is better here:

This is not about the missing reward after doing them. If I read correctly this has been fixed anyway. Currently if you are completing a Heroic Deed you are getting an additional random chest. For those of you (not me) who have reached item power Level 300 already this may seem kind of anticlimatic.
Personally, I think the Heroic Deed System is still in ist early stage and maybe there is already some stuff planned down the line. However, I just wanted to know what the community thinks would be preferable rewards for Heroic Deeds besides having fun and challenge. Examples for this could be:

• Nothing at all: Fun and challenge are enough already
  • Normal chests like it currently is: After all one more chest is one more chest
  • Cosmetic chests: Will grant two cosmetic items for the character opening it
  • Trinket chest: Will grant you three trinkets where one trait is pre-defined and maxed
  • Charm chest: …
  • Red chest: Will grant a red item for the character opening it
  • Heroic Deed chest: Will grant more Heroic Deeds like a snowball System, and there will ONLY be Heroic Deed chests :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Map Piece chests: These will grant you a specific piece of a map. If you collect all pieces you will unlock a new map. The Heroic Deed will not be deleted upon completion, however, you always get the same map piece from the chest, so it will only stay in the inventory so you can help others getting the piece, can be deleted by hand although. Maps could be special missions maybe with some kind of twist like being single player only but therefore shorter, being designed for five players, telling background story like Bardin finding the hold, etc…

While I personally really like the last idea it would mean a lot of work for the developers as they would have to provide new maps. Additionally, some people are heavily triggered if they are bothered to play the game to unlock additional content (like who thought it was a good idea to play the 12 other missions first before being able to do the last one). However, I understand that hiding Content behind range would be very annoying therefore the mechanic of non-consumed deeds so people can help out each other. Any other ideas?

Summary

This text will be hidden

Cosmetic stuff is often “wasted” time if you compare it creating real content, but it can often help.
Cosmetic items doesnt always mean character skins.

We have illusions. You could receive skins for weapons.
Keep upgrades. Random items to make your keep look cooler, or even “resources” to repair the keep.
Hero specific decorations. I can play anything, but I usually stick to one character and play that all night long. Id like to have some items for old Sir Kruber. Shield with emblem of his old regiment he could hang above his bed, favourite rifle he could have disassembled on his table, collection of favourite hats in closet. And other stuff for other heroes, maybe tied up skaven in basement for Victor when he has his day off :nauseated_face:.

I think we will get more stuff, but it will take some time.

I think you’re right that the existing Heroic Deeds seem lackluster. I think they’re likely placeholders, to be honest.

The picture frames in the Keep seem like obvious places to show off your heroism. But a guaranteed cosmetic or red would be appropriate, too, I feel, on Champion or Legend. The existing drop rates of Reds/Cosmetics are pretty close to VT1 levels, which were very stingy.

EDIT: I also like your “map unlock” system. Maybe it’s an “ULTIMATE HEROIC DEED” system? Like complete an entire act with mutators enabled? I think anything where the players have to combine their rare drops together to access a challenge would be cool. And if the challenge isn’t “new content” but “weird content” then people are less likely to feel locked out.

well there are a lot of issues like them being not worth the effort but the bottom line for me is they are not accessible from quick play so i wont be doing them, none of my friends play this game and i cant be bothered to try the cat herding simulator of trying to co ordinate randoms to do them.

You might try the “social interaction” simulator instead, where you recruit randoms to your friend list and they play with them later on? Lots of people in VT1 have more people on their Friends List from Vermintide than all their other games put together.

You could also get involved on the Squirrel Squad or Blood Moon Inn discords, or on the subreddit. You’re not the only one that doesn’t have IRL friends to play with.

The picture frames in the Keep seem like obvious places to show off your heroism. But a guaranteed cosmetic or red would be appropriate, too, I feel, on Champion or Legend. The existing drop rates of Reds/Cosmetics are pretty close to VT1 levels, which were very stingy.

Yea, currently people get only a chest. So I understand a bit the frustration. A sure drop of some red items or cosmetic items for a real tough Deed would be a good motivation.

EDIT: I also like your “map unlock” system. Maybe it’s an “ULTIMATE HEROIC DEED” system? Like complete an entire act with mutators enabled? I think anything where the players have to combine their rare drops together to access a challenge would be cool. And if the challenge isn’t “new content” but “weird content” then people are less likely to feel locked out.

Hm, something like a complete act would be an interesting idea for a changed boss mission in some sorts of way. But yea, the Deeds could be used to give access to some modified content besides the Deed themselves.

1 Like

I don’t think they should be “guaranteed” drops of anything. However, I think it would be worht it if there was like a higher drop %chance of getting cosmetics or reds compared to regular chests of the same level.

Why not?

You shouldnt be swamped with them, I agree on this. That is also why I wrote of reduced number items in the chest. But a solution with a probability again will probably tick off enough people. Consider the chance that you do four really hard Deeds and find zero items you wished for. And Deeds are pretty rare already anyway. The idea of a fixed goal/item with the Deed should work fine (as it did also with the Bounty Board in V1)

Personally, and I emphasize this is just my personal opinion, I don’t want them to be guaranteed cosmetics or reds because I enjoy the randomness. I don’t want it to be as simple as “do x amount of deeds and you have all the red items and cosmetics so now you don’t have to play legend.” For me, my incentive to keep playing and challenging myself and getting both grims is the fact that I might get some cool loot I don’t have yet. Once I have everything I want it’ll be much less fun for me. I’m the same way with Diablo 3. Once my build is complete and I have all the items I want, there’s little reward in grinding rifts except maybe to do it a few seconds faster, and therefore I lose interest quickly.

Even if you limit it to one drop per chest, the most efficient way to get reds and cosmetics will be playing on lower difficulties to farm for deeds. Now, I do agree they should be made more worth it, and for me I would be fine if they had a significantly increased chance to drop cosmetics. Even if I don’t get one from a deed chest, I’ll still be encouraged to keep going because I know my chances are that much higher.

I would prefer specific item rewards, as it stands now most of the Deeds don’t seem worth doing, the difficulty for most of them that even reward a chest you may want far outweighs just playing normal games. Also considering reds drop from all legend chests it is probably better to go for quantity > quality if you are trying to farm those items. For example, I would absolutely be running this legend deed I have to do Skittergate 100 times a day till I beat it if it 100% gave me a Bultcher’s helm equivalent in v2, but it gives an Emps Vault and its skittergate so… hardpass for me on that one.

We are just stating our personal opinions ^^ Hm, I understand the argumentation. But that is the reason why a lot of people are frustrated. And at least for the first game the highest difficulty mode was mainly for the challenge. For people who wanted to play the game for playing the game. I mean if you stop as soon as you have everything it is a bit sad. Although we all want to have this feeling of completion at one point (I orientate more on the achievement side).

Well, you could categorize the Deeds as well. So that you are getting the difficult Deeds with the more wished for chests only at higher difficulties anyway.