Has ranged damage decreased since last patch (1.0.5)?

I may be going slightly crazy, but since 1.0.5, as Saltzpyre, with 600 Hero Power, and a Volley Crossbow, I thought I remembered doing the following damage numbers (roughly … note I’m not using any damage modifiers, and shooting at test dummies):

• Roughly 4000-5000 damage every critical hit to the chest on an unarmored target
  • Roughly 6000-7000 damage every critical hit to the head on an unarmored target

Note: I forgot the numbers vs armored…

Now when I shoot the dummies, I see:

• Roughly 2800 damage every critical hit to the chest on an unarmored target
  • Roughly 4000 damage every critical hit to the head on an unarmored target

Note: When I used the regular crossbow (single shot), I used to hit 13k critical headshots. Now it does 8k.

I remember distinctly telling one of my friends “Wow, that initial hit does 21k damage if all 3 shots hit the head!” … and I’m pretty sure I wasn’t dreaming when I said that. I’ve also noticed bosses are pretty hard to kill lately, and appear to take a lot more firepower to go down, along with some other enemies.

I read the patch notes but didn’t see anything relating to a decrease in damage dealt, except the line that read “Critical strike effectiveness is now added later in the damage bonus calculation. Which means it will have a higher impact, especially on headshots.” … given the numbers I was trying to compare against, it certainly seemed to have made an impact, but not in our favor, so technically it wasn’t wrong.

Can someone help confirm if I’m out to lunch or not?

Everything has been affected due to the correction of an error made in the scaling math that caused player power to be higher than intended. So yes ranged damage has lowered.
There’s a post by a dev that shows sort of what the new scaling is like.

1 Like

Thanks for that!

I don’t know if this was the case for you, but there is an issue where damage numbers in the keep will be capped out as if you were playing recruit.
To circumvent this start matchmaking for a legend game and it’ll remove the recruit hero power cap.

I think this was the reason my numbers were lower - it must default to “Recruit” damage, because when I did what you suggested (Hosted Private Game - Set to Legend) … my numbers more accurately reflected what they originally were.

Thanks for the help with this :slight_smile: