Game not launching but .exe runs

Issue Description:
After clicking Start Game on the launcher and getting passed the EAC loading window, the game just never launches. The .exe is running in the background, I can see it in Task Manager, and steam displays me as in-game but no matter how long I wait, the game never starts. There is no error dialogue or crash report.

The game was booting and working fine ever since beta started, and I even played it just fine a few hours earlier and closed it like normal. I changed no settings, so I donā€™t know what caused it to stop working. The only other thing I noticed is that the EAC ā€œwaiting for gameā€ window appears to hang for an abnormally long time before disappearing, whereas before when the game still booted properly the EAC screen didnā€™t stay up very long. I tried restarting my PC multiple times, as well as adjusting options in the launcher (fullscreen vs windowed, disabling/enabling DLSS) but it didnā€™t solve the issue.

Steps to Reproduce:
[Please add the steps that can help our QA department in reproducing the issue. For example:]

1. Click Play on Steam
  2. Click Play on the launcher

Platform:
Steam

Player ID:
[Steam ID/Steam Profile URL/GamerTag]

Approx. Time of Issue & Timezone:
11:59 p.m. 11/19 PST

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

Upload Console Log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ā€˜OKā€™
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide\console_logs
  4. Locate the console log that corresponds with the session in which the issue occurred, by looking at the timestamps in the log names
  5. Upload here

Upload darktide_launcher.log:

1. Press the Windows key + R
  2. Enter %appdata% within the search input and select ā€˜OKā€™
  3. Navigate to AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Darktide
  4. Locate the darktide_launcher.log in this directory
  5. Upload here
    console-2022-11-20-09.16.00-03ea518c-2831-46fd-be5f-9c09422009e4.log (2.7 KB)
    darktide_launcher.log (938.3 KB)

Itā€™s a shot in the dark, but does Verifying Game File Integrity make any difference?

1. Right-click Darktide in your Steam library sidebar
  2. Select ā€˜Propertiesā€™
  3. Select the ā€˜Local Filesā€™ tab
  4. Select the ā€˜Verify Integrity of Game Filesā€™ button
  5. When complete, close and reopen Steam

It also may be worth performing a Selective Startup, which can help identify whether a background application is the cause of the issue:

1. Press the Windows key
  2. Type ā€˜msconfigā€™ and select ā€˜System Configurationā€™
  3. On the ā€˜Generalā€™ tab, select ā€˜Selective Startupā€™
  4. Deselect ā€˜Load startup Itemsā€™
  5. Reboot your PC

I was able to fix it by deleting my Fatshark AppData folder and relaunching the game

1 Like