Game crashes at launch, often crashes whole PC "Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap"

Game worked just fine yesterday, but today when I play it, things are different.

I start the game, the launcher pops up as usual. When I hit the button to launch, I get the normal loading screen for a few seconds with the spinning “V” logo in the bottom right. It’s very laggy and only lasts a few seconds before all my monitors go black and I’m booted back to desktop. Sometimes it makes my whole PC crash, giving me a blue screen that says “UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP”

I have verified the game files on Steam, restarted my PC…not sure what’s causing the issue. This is the only game that causes the problem.

From the Microsoft website:

The UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP bug check has a value of 0x0000007F. This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.

and

Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails.

Sorry to copy pasta, but please read through Microsoft’s recommendations below:

Troubleshooting: If you recently added hardware to the computer, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics that the system manufacturer supplies to determine which hardware component failed.

The memory scanner is especially important. Faulty or mismatched memory can cause this bug check. For more information about these procedures, see the owner’s manual for your computer. Check that all adapter cards in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure adapter card contacts are clean.

If the error appears on a newly installed system, check the availability of updates for the BIOS, the SCSI controller, or network cards. These kind of updates are typically available on the Web site or BBS of the hardware manufacturer.

Confirm that all hard disk drives, hard disk controllers, and SCSI adapters are compatible with the installed version of Windows. For example, you can get information about compatibility with Windows 7 at the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

If the error occurred after the installation of a new or updated device driver, you should remove or replace the driver. If, under this circumstance, the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you have to start the computer by using the Recovery Console in order to access the file.

Also restart your computer, and then press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices. At the Advanced Options menu, select the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when you add only one driver or service at a time.

Overclocking (setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification) can cause this error. If you have overclocked the computer that is experiencing the error, return the CPU to the default clock speed setting.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help identify the device or driver that is causing the error. You can also disable memory caching of the BIOS to try to resolve the problem.

If you encountered this error while upgrading to a new version of the Windows operating system, the error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version. If possible, remove all third-party device drivers and system services and disable any virus scanners before you upgrade. Contact the software manufacturer to obtain updates of these tools. Also make sure that you have installed the latest Windows Service Pack.

Finally, if all the above steps do not resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.