Friendly Fire Responses (Character Dialogue) and Mechanic Discussion

Pump us full of lead and tell us we don’t know how to aim. Its just a flesh wound, Right?

With the (assumed) enhancements to our selection of firepower, how will characters respond when a 4-inch hole is melted through their chest from a mortal wounding plasma shot? Or when 16 bullets is “accidentally” shot into their backs moments before finishing the level, as some kind of cruel jest from the dark gods?

“Im melting from the inside!” :hot_face:
“Oh papa nurgle’s blessing wont heal this pain!” :nauseated_face:
“By the emperor watch where you point that thing!” :exploding_head:

Will friendly fire stay true to harder difficulties? Will it be a toggle option, or a specific mission condition? (only on deeds for example).

Using V2 as an example for this discussion, I believe most players actually do try and avoid shooting one another, but there is always the few that will shoot you instead of using chat, or feel the need to “return the favor” if they are hit by a stray projectile, I’m looking at you Saltzpyre.

My fear, and the main reason for this thread, is the toxic mess a higher difficulty lobby can become when certain players feel the need to abuse the FF mechanic.

An obvious counter to this discussion is the vast majority of the casual gaming community may never experience FF, or the perils/dialogue that can come with it. In reviewing this topic on the forum, seeking a harder difficulty without knowing about FF can deter a new player away from the experience entirely if they are met with a ban/kick and toxic behavior for simply being new.

With that being said, I’m curious if FS has mentioned any changes to the FF Mechanic for Darktide or has considered any changes from reviewing the V2 experience.

And Lastly, if we get a stats screen at the end of a mission, can FS please add accuracy %, since we will now be Shootaz!

Thanks!

Friendly fire adds another layer of skill and difficulty to the game

Removing it cuz some people choose to abuse it, and especially because people abuse it to hear some voice lines, seems a little ridiculous to me

1 Like

I’m not suggesting to remove it at all. I’m just wondering how it will be different.

For example, maybe the first hit of all FF damage is considered a “free hit” and does not do any dmg, and a warning tip will say “friendly fire will hurt your team!”

Also, for lower difficulties, maybe once in a while a map condition will enable friendly fire, having lower difficulties incorporate that aspect as well.

1 Like

I agree with this part, but friendly fire reinforces positioning and I’m not really sure any of it needs to be changed regarding its mechanics

And Lastly, if we get a stats screen at the end of a mission, can FS please add accuracy %, since we will now be Shootaz!

That would be great :smiley:

Also, for lower difficulties, maybe once in a while a map condition will enable friendly fire, having lower difficulties incorporate that aspect as well.

Also a good idea, FF as an option with Veteran and Champion and above as it is now.

“Oh papa nurgle’s blessing wont heal this pain!” :nauseated_face:

Yeah quick note for In-Lore reasons, if a Teammember would refer to a vile Chaos-God as “Papa Nurgle” the execution would be swift. That´s cultist talk :sweat_smile: and as such HERESY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER! InsertSoundOfBountyHunterUltimateHere

You could rather take something “Emperor protect me from my enemies as well as my friends/comrades/IdiotsThatIKnow”
Or
“Dear Emperor protect me from poor trigger disciplin” etc.

1 Like

I figured they were already criminals and their thoughts and comments may lean towards a less-than-holy or order and sacrifice! mentality. I forget where I heard about it, but our heroes could be crinimals that are given a second chance at redemption or something… a for lack of better metaphor (not related to the film) suicide squad

I figured they were already criminals and their thoughts and comments may lean towards a less-than-holy or order and sacrifice! mentality.

So I´m not an Lore-Expert in 40k I only read Gaunts Ghosts, Eishorn and most of Horus Heresy (which is 30k). Additionally Wiki-pages and played PC-Games ofc.
But from what I understand is, that if a person in the Imperium is found guilty of association with Chaos in anyway, they usually get executed/censored/turned into a servitor.

Inquisitors are kinda the execption because they have groups like Radicals (thinks the goal justifies any means, even if they are forbidden under the Imperial Creed; like using Xenos-Technology, Chaos-Stuff) and Puritan (follwing the Imperial Creed to the letter) which also hunt/denounce each other and a lot of other convuluted stuff. But Inquisitors are very special people in the 40k universe (a lot of freedom to act, great access to resources) and our Darktide group works for one.

But IF we are to play “criminals” it would probably be more criminals in the sense of desterters (Commissar missed you), murderers etc.

But from what I understand, we are a group of Inquisitorial Agents. An Inquisitor recruits his/her agents from different sources. Eisenhorn recruited a Courtisan/pleasure girl named Alizbeth Bequin who turned out to be a Pariah (Blank/pyschic Null/Daughter of the Anathema), an Adeptus Arbites Chastener (Police) named Godwyn Fischig and a few others, think one of his female agents was an ex-circus performer.

So a “less then holy” attitude can be shown in 40k, but it would not be outright heresy (which calling Nurgel “papa” and hoping he heals you definitly is), at least I think it would be a different kind of “attitude”.

But we will see, if anyone is interested in 40k Lore, there are great YouTubers for that like Luetin09 (think he is the best one), MajorKill (if you like his style :smiley: ), Wolf Lord Rho and Baldermort .
And probably many others.

This makes me even more excited on the dialogue that will happen, with such extreme consequences.

Thanks for the recommendations! I’m sure once I get invested in the Darktide Atmosphere, ill be scouring the internet for information.