"Finish X Secondary Objectives within the Mission Y" feels awful to receive

Got the above contract on my last reroll so I’ll have to miss out on the 1k bonus if I can’t complete it. I’m unsure how exactly to balance/rework this contract (personally I would just like it removed from the contract pool). This post is just to provide feedback into why (imo) this is a bad contract.

1) Lack of player agency
– There’s no way to specifically grind this contract, you must wait for the exact mission to appear and for it to have a secondary objective to complete. You may also have to wait for it to appear in a difficulty that you’re comfortable completing, as there is no partial credit awarded for this contract. For example, if the mission rolls on heresy, with grimoires + increased horde, that might be a little too spicy.
– Not all players will want to do secondary objectives either, and this contract requires that you pick up every last scripture/grimoire. It’s unfortunate to finally have the exact mission you need appear, only for your team mates to be uninterested in doing secondary objectives. To be fair, I don’t think players must bend over backwards just because someone needs to complete a contract - thankfully, the players I’ve asked have been willing to go the extra mile on my behalf - this is just another reason it sucks to try to complete this specific contract being discussed.

2) No partial credit
– The narrow parameters required to progress the contract, make it feel especially bad if you happen to fail at any point, doubly so if you have to wait once more for a suitable mission to reappear.
– The ‘all or nothing’ nature of the contract puts a lot of stress on trying to pick up every last scripture/grimoire. It feels particularly bad if someone happens to disconnect just as they’re the last to drop down, and then their scripture is left above in a no longer reachable area. It may result in metagaming, where if a scrip/grimoire is lost early in the run, a player may quit in order to reattempt the mission if it’s still available - the fomo 1k bonus from completing all contracts can be compelling.

3) Unrewarding
– Given the extremely narrow parameters needed to complete this contract, it feels very unrewarding compared to other contracts. For the most part, the “Finish X Secondary Objectives…” contract just acts as a tedious gatekeeper to your 1k bonus for completing all weekly contracts.

In summary, this contract feels awful to progress because you’re forced to wait until the right mission appears, with a secondary objective, at a difficulty you’re able to complete, with willing team mates to boot. No partial credit especially on a contract with such narrow parameters for progression makes trying to progress the contract stressful - not because it’s difficult, but because you’ll be forced to wait once again for the stars to align for you to have another chance at progressing it.

2 Likes

Agree… we have found 2 scripts and this has not count in the contract.
This means that I have to complete 6 times this mission and pick all the secondary objectives.
Let’s say it, chaining 6 times a mission is boring. Chaining lot of missions to get the job done is certainly not just boring but also frustrating.

Please change that

yeah, fully completing six secondary objectiv independament of the mission would already be hard ejnougth.

I suspect it was originally Secondary objectives by zone from some of the text in the beta (the zones being Metalfab, Torrent, Hourglass, Chasm Terminus and Throneside which wasn’t out at the time) but for whatever pants-on-head mission made it specific mission, probably when they pivoted away from generated to static missions.