Fatshark started "Unannounced Project"

And it seems like they’re taking people from Darktide’s team into it:

Edit > For those who “just joined”, a summup

Facts:

1. Fatshark is working on a “Unannounced Project” on UE5 engine.
  2. They have a private discord channel for the “core community” which is streamers/modders/whoever, but us.
  3. Combat Lead Designer/Product Owner/Team Captain responsible for combat gameplay on all tides series has left Fatshark.
  4. Fatshark’s development is slow because of bureaucracy.
9 Likes

Where did you find that ?

And “who” is the person that was moved ?

Like we knew they had a 3rd project, and we still know that DT has/had the biggest team not so long ago.

So it really depend on who is moved, is it a Concept artist ? An animator ? A Manager…

1 Like

Click on the image

Senior Character Artist at Fatshark AB

Like it’s not weird that they are working on more than 1 game, for example he posted his character art in 2021-22

https://www.artstation.com/jurasbatas

2 Likes

Another interesting thing… they got private discord for a core community (whatever that means)

8 Likes

I know the project they are working on. Its called Darktide Survivors. Top down arcade game in the vein of Vampire Survivors and DRG: Survivor etc

:smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Yes their testers are on it (Hank, Kerfus and a couple of the other) and have previously mentioned it

1 Like

And who are those mysterious core community representatives then?

People that were picked, usually from VT2 veterans, some streamers, some modders (Think Ancient or Raindish is part of it), some of the moderators and guide writers.

Basically it’s who ever FS people though would be appropriate to be put in the closed tests

1 Like

Very interesting. I suppose any revealation of what this project is will be some time off though.

I really wanna know who the supposed core community is. If it’s dumb streamers again I can’t wait to get disappointed by a winds of magic-esque disaster.

1 Like

Another interesting thing is that Lead Combat Designer, the person responsible for the only good thing in Darktide (or maybe all tides series), is not working there anymore.

10 Likes

So! Who wants to put money on my pet theory of ‘Fatshark are incompetent idiots who moved most of the team to this unannounced project back in 2023, which is why Darktide’s updates are so slow and lackluster’? Anyone?

6 Likes

I have left Fatshark.
After 8+ years of running the Combat team and creating the Tide combat, my final contribution to the game will be the Class rework and Xbox release. I have truly had a blast.
What started out as a consultancy gig rapidly consumed me. Finding an early prototype of Vermintide and getting a carte blanche to create an engaging, complex and mechanically deep first person melee combat gameplay within the Warhammer IP was a childhood dream. Getting the chance to build the Combat team, establishing a strong culture and processes to back up quality and shared authorship has been an honor. 8 years goes by fast when you’re having fun doing awesome things with a great team.
Finishing up this run with leading the Class rework team and seeing the positive reception our work is getting is wonderful. The release sees the completion of the entire gameplay loop I wanted to build with Darktide. Watching the players dissect, tinker and explore all the builds and the way they interplay is eating up most of my time. It is bittersweet and strange to not be part of it moving forward.
I don’t know what I’ll do next. Most sensible thing is to take some time off. But if you have something fun to look at, poke at or dismantle into ludological building blocks I have time to spare and a burning passion for games.
Will need to sort out a way to make a living towards spring so I am available if anyone has an interesting proposition for someone with my profile.

Not like he is the only one that worked on it

Also that’s Mats Andersson who wrote the Udder and teats Dev Blog

Not according to the CM (Catfish) who said it’s the biggest team out of the 3

You are of course welcome to discuss, but I’m removing the LinkedIn URLs.

8 Likes

I’ve discussed this with a number of developers/Community mangers on Discord (both Darktide and VT), and they confirmed to me as early as February that the majority of their devs have been working on a new flagship project. The team working on Darktide is skeleton crew right now; in fact, they now have more people working on VT2 than on Darktide.

I’m not sure if VT3 or Darktide 2 will be the next game, but given their apparent desire to prolong VT2’s existence over expanding development for Darktide, I’m betting on VT3.

It’s ogre.

7 Likes

Wonderful.

Can you provide some proof? @CommanderJ would be really stoked to also be proven correct, and I could use some screenshots to hit Badwin with whenever he inevitably shows up.

1 Like

I do hope that one of the CM get involved faster than they usually do cause this is either striking a spark in the powder cache, or trying to create it artificially (without proof what Banan said it sound very suspicious, as in a Dev would most likely not say it)

1 Like

If you look through their website on archive, you can also find stuff like this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240323172751/https://jobs.fatsharkgames.com/jobs/3405515-game-designer

notable points:

• They’re looking for a game designer for RPG progression systems
  • for an unannounced title
  • for unreal engine 5 (!)

the last point is especially juicy. It’s either gonna be some mobile slop or they’re actually switching off their own engine which would be pretty huge news and have a lot of implications for their established programmers who may or may not be extremely competent

4 Likes