Disable specials need a hotfix, sound cues must be reliable. It is unfair and frustrating in its current state

Several YouTubers talk about audio cue issues to be fair. Pretty Sure Mr. Sat is aware

1 Like

Why though?

Might aswell give my take on this

Leeches: Low Threat

Loud and clear, Not been grabbed by one in over 100 games on legend. Right now the EASIEST special to kill. They are almost useless atm.

Blightstormers: Medium Threat

Loud and clear. Long range special. Can sometime spawn at great distances away from location making them difficult to handle. Can be avoided.

Gutter Runners: High Threat

Loud and clear, they are quick but if you react the moment you hear them they go down rather easily thanks to their low HP. They can easily down 1-2 players if ignored due to other enemies present.

Packmasters: High Threat

Stealthy at spawn but clear during chase. Once they start to chase after you they give off a distinct “bell” sound. High resistance and HP. Very dangerous during hordes. Should be prio to kill.

Ratling Gunners & Warpfire Throwers: Low Threat

Loud and clear, their armor gives them some extra toughness but it also makes them slow. Easy target to kill. Can be avoided.

Poison Wind Globadier: Medium Threat

Loud and clear, Long range special. Likes to hide after they attack. Can be avoided.

Berserkers & Monks: High Threat

Berserkers and Monks give off a distinct shout while charging. Quick with high damage output. Kill them at range or use charged attacks to stagger then in melee. Once they start swinging block is your friend. If someone is under attack by one of these and are currently blocking try to help them as fast as possible since it’s difficult to counterattack these alone.

All specials are fine. If you can’t hear them it’s your problem. I hear them all just fine.
The only special that might need a tweak is Blightstormers since they sometimes like to spawn out of map at a great distance.

Yeah. Those posts talking about missing and desynced audio are all by people who are just fu**ing deaf

10 Likes

A perfect example of: “It is not a problem for me, therefore no one else has any problems whatsoever, because of my experience.

Well bub, you say Gutter Runners are loud and clear, which they absolutely are not for me and my regulars. They are inconsistent, sometimes playing their sound cue after pouncing someone and being knocked/pushed off, if at all.

Same with Packmasters, it just isn’t consistent. A considerable chunk will be dead silent.
V2’s trackrecord so far with sound in general, isn’t that impressive in any case. Is it really that surprising things are not quite there yet?

I never had this issue in V1, I always knew it was my fault when I died, but now… it just feels cheap and unfair to be grabbed or pounced without any headsup of a disablers presence.

11 Likes

Packmaster in a horde
In this example you can hear him chuckle slightly before, but it’s very hard to hear. His skulls are not audible though. Only after the grab attempt.

Spawning around a corner
Either he spawned right there or he was silent. Not sure which it is.

Just to give some examples.

5 Likes

Infamous for not making a peep, barely a rattle and often spawn in sight out of nowhere as of late.

Yep, also dangerous with Foot Knight Kruber. I’ve done a charge into a gunner or flamer to knock it down before it can start shooting, and I’ve seen a Hook Rat spawn right in front of me as I end charge and it grabs me right away.

Along with silent assassins and the “You’re about to be attacked from behind” whoosh there’s a whole lot of frustrating, artificial difficulty.

Specials behave differently on different difficulties. On legend especially hookrats and assassins are inconsistent in their warning. Sometimes you get solid audio cues, sometimes an assassin pounces on you with no cue, sometimes the very instant the cue sounds, so there’s zero reaction time to reposition or anything.

The inconsistency is the biggest problem here, because you’re trained to think it is safe to say split off from group and grab an item as you’ll have time to regroup or get behind some geometry once you hear the assassin cue. But then an assassin instantly downs you with no warning and your team can’t get it off you in time, and your death spawns more loads of stuff, and it just goes downhill.

It is really bad and needs immediate attention. It is pretty sad it has gone on this long.
I can provide video if you like, Assassins don’t behave consistently in narrow spaces or open spaces.

hmmm in my experience, the specials behave exactly the same way in all difficulties. there’s always a clear warning for assassins - either a callout from a party member, or from the zonewide assassin call itself. what normally happens in my runs is that while we kill the assassin, another assassin callout plays, and people mistake this call to be a bug for the first assassin, but actually is a second one.

also, no one ever complains about a hookrat that’s alone (no horde around). i’m always able to hear it coming clearly. the complaints about it being silent always come during a horde, because the slave rat screams are so loud they cover most of the cues up, which is intended game design, people have to position properly (don’t fight a horde around a corner) and be on the lookout (revert to visual confirmation or tag spam, just looking out for it is usually enough tho)

sure thing! would like to see it from a different perspective.

To fully understand the problem. It could also be possible, that some situations are just exxagerated. Most likely, that people hear the sound clue of the heroes but not from the special itself and then claim, they have lost because the Special didnt made a sound at all.

I mean, to be fair, if i am hearing the first soundclue by the heroes, i already watch out for the special, i look for it. I dont really care for the sound clue of the special anymore.

Same here, to be honest I’ve never heard an assassin callout WHEN he pounces, but when he spawns he starts to chatter like crazy.

Also, specials during a horde will Always be a pain in the ass because people get preocupied with killing the horde. This is not something they can do something about without making them announce their presence like Michael Buffer. Hookrat spawns “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble!”

A very funny thing that happens to me way more frequently than I’d like is that the callout for assassins plays way after the victim is being pounded by it.

Many times I’ve seen Bardin with an assassin on top of him, eating his face already way into red health, when he calmly started saying “There’s an assassin out there…”.
Well, at least it’s funny when someone else is being pounced on.

However, as I said I hardly ever host. Next time I will ask the host if he also had the audio play late, or if it’s just on client’s end.
I know quite a few problems are client-side only, like skywalking units – everyone in the group going “WTF?” except the host who goes “What? I don’t see anything weird”.

Why is that most likely? I simply don’t understand your insistence on that it MUST be player error and everyone reporting this problem since day one must be in the wrong. I had issues with silent patrols (silent specials were never a problem for me) in the beta and early live versions, which have gone away after patches and have returned in the latest patch. It’s not every round, but I have been keeping track over the past 20 or so rounds, and roughly half of them, patrols either spawned directly in our faces when I was hosting or simply didn’t make any sound at all, even after spawning and moving. And I think we can all agree that patrols are, normally, among the loudest, most prominent and constant sound cues in the game. The implication that people are just trying to blame their losses on something out of their control is needless elitism and completely baseless, since me and the folks I play with don’t see patrols as much of a threat anymore and can handle them even if they are silent and/or face spawn.

I find that more and more hard to believe to be honest, considering the problem isn’t thar difficult to understand. I mean, other things like face-spawning hordes, patrols and specials are well documented (again, since day one). Why is audio-cues not playing such an outlandish claim?

2 Likes

Ist not about the Problem itself, but the fact that people claim it happens regularly, like in every run and with every special. If i dont have a proof, i think this is highly exxagerated and thus every other claim about this problem could be exxagerated. I know that the game has problems with audio cues, but it doesnt really matter for me and i would like Fatshark to fix other things first.

I don’t have that many problems with it, either. It’d still be in their best interest to fix things like that with priority since it will drive players away. I’m pretty sure that FS is aware of how big an issue it is and this is, luckily, all that matters.

Sure, it should be fixed eventually, but we are talking about Fatshark here and every fix seems to take several month. Personally, i would like to see the red douplicate fix next, because it disturbs me currently the most.

But if people actually have sound problems every time they play the game, like they claim, it sure is something serious.

I don’t know. I don’t have too many red dupes and fairly good drops, and the dupes I have are weapons I do tend to use in different setups. I think people are overexaggerating the problem with red dupes tbh.

I have at least 7 of every accessiore and use maybe 50% of them for every career. What i miss are red weapons, which would be fixed with the douplicates. I would like to use different set-ups too, and max stats are important, especially for careers like WHC who are dependent on breakpoints.

But this is just what i am talking about. You think people exxagerate with that problem, same like i think people exxagerate with this problem here. Eventually all of them should be fixed, but what actually has priority? I see as much people complaining about red douplicates as people complaining about missing sound cues.

I was just messing with you. Thank you for falling for it, though.

3 Likes

You were given proof this happens, be it because other area of denial specials are playing their cues, hordes, bosses, something is stopping some players from hearing disabler specials reliably and it needs a hotfix, it should 100% be in the high priority, for it is not meant to be this way and causes unfair deaths.

2 Likes