Devblog: Bots in Vermintide 4.2

They mentioned new telemetry capture functionality, but there’s no news on the actual ping fix. While you could say “let them have time on this”, I’ll just repeat that since Engineer patch months ago some people can’t play the game at all or just can’t play with other people they’ve used to. This is not some case of annoying bug or anything. People hardly can play.

1 Like

This fix requires more than just us twiddling some code about. These APIs we’re using are fairly new implementations from Valve, and we’re having to relay information to them for them to investigate. It’s an effort spanning multiple teams over two continents. We do wish it were as simple as fixing a bit of our codebase but it’s more far reaching I’m sorry to say. It’s impossible to say right now where the issue lies, but do know we’re not treating this as a mild inconvenience.

13 Likes

Thank you for the hope! I tend to play with just one or two friends or by myself, so this is much needed.
One thing I wish to add to the discussion is bots using/holding onto potions (both health and power). If you try to give a bot, say an ult cooldown pot so you can go grab a grimoire, the bot will just instantly hand the potion back, or another bot instantly hands you one to fill the slot. It’d be nice if they would hold on and use them if the player has a grimoire or gives them the item.

The behavior of bots in interaction with ammo box is absolutely terrible. Bots either run to the ammo box after each shot (through hordes, fire and gas, and die at the same time), or stand motionless when the ammo box is nearby but inaccessible.

I suffer from this too much, please fix it.

Thanks for the reply. Can only hope that fix will come as soon as possible.

This all sounds really nice!

But i gotta ask though, will any of this actually fix the deal with bots running off on wild adventures whenever a gasrat spawns far away? Will it stop them from running face first into fire and gattlings? I feel the need to ask because this stuff is what kills them all the time for me.

Its pretty painful to see them launch crusades against a faraway gasrat while leaving me bleeding out on the ground T_T

2 Likes

Hopefully this means bots will be more proactive about reviving the player. One of my biggest issues with bots currently is that when you need them most, they just kind of derp around and either A. get killed, or B. waste time fighting weak enemies before they decide to revive players. It’s like the bots don’t know that you can block while reviving, which makes sense I guess since that “feature” was made official later into the game’s life cycle.

3 Likes

Very true. I do recall more than one situation where a player DC’d or just left during a fight and then a Grim carrying bot goes and gets itself killed. Bots are much easier to wrangle and coordinate when you’re alone than when you have more than one player spreading them. Unless the players stick closer together, and we all know how likely that is…

This is something very much needed.
Thanks guys <3

And this happens every time for 5 years.

9 Likes