Deathspitter = Fire Frenzy -35%?

Post patch is deathspitter just a 35% weaker version of Fire Frenzy? Why modify both blessings this patch, then leave one as a 35% weaker clone of the other. What am I overlooking?

If the wording of the blessings is accurate (admittedly dubious) then deathspitter grants a power bonus that works at any range (though condition still requires killing things in close range to begin with), while fire frenzy grants a power bonus only to close range enemies. In theory with deathspitter you could kill some things in close range then use that power bonus on some stuff further away, while you couldn’t do that with fire frenzy.

Of course who knows if it actually works that way, and generally I agree deathspitter just seems like worse fire frenzy in practice.

3 Likes

Thank you! I saw the note about initial conditions, and assumed it applied a blanket damage boost for the duration. The change would differentiate them a bit. I don’t know if either one really screams “take me”.

Patch Notes

• Fixed an issue where ‘Fire Frenzy’ and ‘Deathspitter’ Blessings would grant bonuses on kills at any range instead of only at close range.*

you got 1.75s that aint much time to kill something else, if that something else is anything but a pox walker. Not sure why they gave the Combat Shotgun 2.75s while all other guns got 1.75s

So I’ve recently learnt something else about these blessings. Despite both descriptions saying “power” in reality FF only adds damage while deathspitter does actually grant power. If using eg a brauto with the intention of using it as least in part for horde clear that distinction is enough to make me think I’d rather have deathspitter. Even 1 stack of it will push agrip Brauto above 2 cleave theoretically allowing it to penetrate an additional poxwalker. There’s also the factor that power bonuses are multiplicative with damage bonuses like Vet Ult and Zealot’s EE feat.

So yeah actually I think they’re probably pretty balanced with each other though the recent buff to FF may push it back ahead again. Hopefully they fix FF’s description so this is less confusing.

1 Like