Convocation of Decay (Legend) End Event - OP or Nah?

As far as I know using BW ultimate resets the timer and is pretty much useless therefore when you want to do the Challenge. Don’t know if it’s still a thing…

Even when casting it at your feet ?

I’m not 100% but I think this is the case. Had a number of rounds that didn’t complete when using BW ult (at feet).

It doesn’t matter where you use it, it’s because of the way it works i guess, since you are “teleporting”… means you leave the pool just to pop up in another location.

A snapshot of this brief moment of perfection :joy:

Screenshot_2021-02-25-14-32-20-39

9 Likes

Grats man!

1 Like

CoD is an absurdity compared to all other legend stages in QP. Even the QP levels I consider difficult on Legend like Enchanter’s Lair or the occasional Skittergate with clueless pubs, I would not compare to CoD, it is just in a higher tier by itself, at least in my experience it has proven to be so.

I got back recently after playing 350~ hours in the past and have played quite a lot, I’m talking no life hours in legend and some champ every day for the past week or two and whenever CoD pops up in Legend Quick Play it is a guaranteed wipe at the finale. Obviously, in Champ, it’s clearly doable, because Champ difficulty feels like Veteran unless the team makes some kind of big throw. But there’s always something that goes wrong in CoD Legend, which leads to either one person trying to make a desperate 1vX against CWs and multiple specials or people simply caving under pressure and getting killed.

I can understand the fun of a challenge and the satisfaction of getting better, it’s why I play this game. But I feel like even with the sheer amount of disrespect I’ve had for my own time nolifing this game recently, FatShark have even less respect. It is literally a level where, if I do not disconnect, I have said goodbye to 20-30 minutes of my time just because of the finale. Very rarely does a pub I play in wipe before the CoD finale, let me be clear. I beat this level on Legend in the distant past, it wasn’t impossible back in 2018, it probably isn’t impossible here now. But it sure as hell feels like it.

I can give you an example of such a something from one of my runs yesterday. Shieldmaiden does the big brain move and camps across the pool from everyone else. Another player tries to go to her as enemies are massing up. The elf then walks into the middle of the pool and dashes, popping invis. That player is suddenly isolated, gets grabbed by a hookrat and eats a bunch of overheads from all the stormvermin who dropped aggro from the elf. So, is it really the absurdity of the event that is the root cause of the problem here, or the asinine behavior of some players?

Hey,

So just to get this out of the way I need to get good. Im pretty new- I played at release but just recently came back and it’s basically a new game. Trying to get skins by beating all levels in Helmgart and this is the hump. I’ve been saving it for last on legend because I tried playing it second (you know, where it is on the map) and hoo boy that did not go well. I googled, found out it was hard, and decided to save it for last hoping my skills would improve. Which I think they have. I mean, I’m not ready for Cata or anything, but I feel like I can usually hold my own on Legend. I was resigned to a 5 percent success rate as the norm on CoD and started grinding.

And I had success! My first win today ever on CoD legend happened today because a team of absolute badasses joined and I was a participant. What I legitimately can’t tell is if that made the difference or if it was just that CoD spawned light. I didn’t see more than 3 CW whereas normally I see 5. Maybe the aforementioned badasses took care of it, but we never got overwhelmed. There were no blightstormers, and very few globadiers.

Whenever I win on this level on QP champion, it usually feels like I just got lucky on RNG. The event feels very inconsistent. The people on my team were clearly slumming it in legend, but I also feel like there was a luck component.

Which is to say two things:

1. Yes this is possible for awesome teams.
  2. It is a class above any other level in Helmgart for difficulty. It feels like you’re playing on the next difficulty up.

In a perfect world, I think some of the other Helmgart levels would be a bit more difficult, but that feels out of the bounds of this thread. The fact is that this is the hardest Helmgart map by a wide margin, which I think has been demonstrated pretty solidly by the long discussion in this thread.

3 Likes

Voted OP because we already have a Cata difficulty for those who need a great challenge. As people said before - CoD is hardest of all Helmgart end challenges. I prefer to play with bots and/or 1-2 friends s and this is pure luck if map was completed. Last two runs - first with full books+grims as WC was easy, because game starts spawning stormvermins without any annoying specials and second as Unchained no Book, ended by wipe before first wizard explode. Most of the time - its a easy 20 min run before you gone down by over9k CW/Blightstormers/Globadiers in a tiny line and it feels like a wasting of my time. There is alot of hard maps for me, like a Winds Of Magic map. But there i feel difficult of all level, not only last event.

2 Likes

I voted OP a few hundred hours ago when I came back to this game. I checked this post again to see where this post was now that I’m much better at the event, and I would still vote OP again, but I at least can provide some meaningful feedback now.

I’ve done it a few times on Cataclysm, and on Legend. I’ve had some smooth runs that went great, and other runs that didn’t. In almost all times, my failures can be linked to two key specials that spawn, Gas Rats, and Blightstormers. This is mainly because when not dealt with, their abilities force you to relocate. Relocating on a small doughnut-shaped arena where the middle of the doughnut is poison that slows you down massively and drains your stamina so you can’t block effectively doesn’t help. It will almost always force you to jump down off the ritual, which is bad news bears for the event progression, and the remainder of your team up top still.

For anyone seeking guidance on this, I can share some tips. In some of my success runs, we’ve had a class or two that could easily delete armor (ex: Grail and/or Shade), so pulling out a ranged weapon to deal with specials wasn’t so worrisome. With armor taken-care of, anyone with a ranged weapon can help with specials without the worry of a surprise overhead from 2-3 Chaos Warriors. Staying on top of the ritual helped a lot, as dropping down really dragged the event out and more often than naught caused a wipe.

I don’t have any meaningful feedback on how to improve this event to make it safer for full tome/grim carriers, but it’s much less stressful without the books. There are many events in the game that force you to survive waves of hordes/specials, but the shape/design/placement of the arena for Convocation of Decay is what I think makes it the toughest of all the “survive” events.

3 Likes

Yeeeah Convocation of Decay. Hate to get that map when playing with pubs just because of end event. It’s not like end event is OP or not doable, done it many times on Legend and Cata with bots. In other hand when Im playing with other players/friends its laggiest part of map at least for me. Its just one of hardest challenges lagger can take in this game, hardly doable (my success rate is like 1 win in like 10 tries). When Im talking about lags, I mean Steam related ones, I can have 40 ping to host and still lag like bitc* on some occasions and convo end event is garanteed lag fiesta. Living in belief that many pubs suffer from Steam shenanigans and its hard to draw line where network related bs ends and game challenge starts. From Singleplayer perspective end event is fine, just would love to see small tweeks like reduced blinding effect you get when droping out of arena.

Special spawns like gass rats and sorcerers are are biggest threat in end event, by reducing probability of those spawns, event would become more managable.

So they say that this map is not unfair and it is not the only time that the game makes two of this type appear, it even made gas rats appear and other elite ones that were almost a horde of pure elites. There are even enemies that once dead there is nothing around you and suddenly there is one behind you, pure stupidity.
And not only that, but after finishing the map and making the explosion, the visual effects practically leave you blind and put everything in the dark. even after finishing they keep dating instead of making them all disappear Vermintide 2 2021 03 16 19 18 21 - YouTube

1 Like

No, the event is super consistent. Never has issues. Someone even true soloed it, that must mean it’s fair.
That’s what the elitists will tell you.
This event has problems. I’ve had absurd build-ups of enemies before. Sometimes the elite waves overlap. A lot of the time Assassins just spawn in places that you’d have no chance to react to.

5 Likes

Two things that are likely to help you out.

1.)Holy hell turn up your brightness, it’s as dark as the insides of a cow. How are you able to see anything?

2.) Options → Video → Lighting → Set “Auto Exposure Speed” to 2. This will mean that jumping in and out of the circle will no longer leave you temporarily blind cause everything is pitch-black for a few moments but it will be more of a flashbang-like effect, something that many in this thread have asked to be toned down a bit.

1 Like

He might have some extreme monitor brightness to balance that out a bit but yeah that’s some extreme levels of dark.
Might also benefit from lower sensitivity but that’s getting into nit pick area.

Is stupid. Less specials or less armor. Better lighting. Takes too long as it is. It also procs on QP too frequently for some reason. I think the 69% OP says enough. Landslide opinion.

Also I will drop about 60% of the time if I join or am host and this procs for QP. It is not a fun event. Please, stop punishing us for cheesing it in the past.

Welcome to QP.

5 Likes

@fyerz Do you have Ambient Light Quality set to ‘high’? I believe that makes the dark parts in maps significantly darker when compared to the ‘low’ setting.

1 Like