Convocation of Decay (Legend) End Event - OP or Nah?

How you make bots follow you up to the platorm?
In my case if i forced to jump down, bots always find something to do below until progress bar reduces to current checkpoint. If i rush back up to take advantage of enemies climbing and stop progress decaying, i find myself fighting alone. If i stay down and help bots clear, progress reset and all repeats again. Until me or bots make mistake and go down. Which eventually happens after several minutes and few progress resets, when i become tired and lose concentration. And this cursed map rarely give a chance to recover. So my best bet is stay up on platform and chain drink potions, throw grenades and use ults on cd (usually i have plenty of potions and heals, because this is only map where i NEVER take any books and still have 1 of 10 success rate). If this spam not enough to stay up there till the end, its game over :frowning:

It is very likely you will be forced to jump down before next sorceror down. And this starts all over again until you get tired and make mistake, from which this map wont let you recover.

UPD. Just look at this: i was forced to jump down even before first sorceror die due to unlucky gas out of nowhere. After some time of fighting down there, i got to platform. The rest you can see on screenshots. This is NOT something i can call thinnig out spawns (and there’s actually TWO gunrats firing on second screenshot, not one).

2 Likes

It’s utterly ridiculous. Tried it numerous times already.

Chaos Warriors are spawning in multiples on the FIRST waves.

The end event on Convocation, even on Champion, does not escalate like other events do where you progressively get tougher waves as it nears the end. You get ALL the toughest stuff right from start and then it just adds up with toughest mobs throughout.

Gas Rats + Multiple Stormvermin + Ratling Gunner + 3 Chaos Warriors came at us before the FIRST mage was down, in addition to all the regular trashrats, clanrats and shielded chaos fighters. And this happens nearly every time I am playing the event.

Take a look at the lobby browser. There’s literally 40 games for Convocation of Decay on Champ (because every Engineer is custom-game starting that mission to try and get it done for the achievements).

It’s absolutely horrible right now. Even worse than with Grail Knight (cause I did finish it before with Grail Knight / after GK update). But now it’s near impossible. It’s WORSE/harder on Champion than the Enchanters Lair on Legend.

They really need to fix this B.S. and not just because I’m playing Engineer, but because the map right now is a giant waste of time with extremely low probability of success, especially in Quick Play.

I’ll rather play Enchanters Lair on Cataclysm than Convocation on Champ.

You’re still at the mercy of the RNG spawns, but using the true-solo somewhat cheese tactic of keeping alive the specials that are least likely to kill you worked for me and a friend last night at 2 men standing. We just left the ratling gunners alive and they chewed through the chaff and it stopped spawning new stupider specials. Completely counterintuitive to the entire event, and absolutely useless to keep hookrats or globadiers alive. You could even choose the team to take shields, to use this tactic better - but no use in QP whatsoever.

TBH though, we were a bit surprised how quickly it got completed. Was there a stealth patch to the timers for the sorcerers to make it go by quicker?

2 Likes

It’s incredibly RNG based. Today I had a legend run - I was very worried - and we got no more than 3 CWs at a time, no blightstormers (unless i missed them) instead of the usual 289328475911 (actual number may be different, but that’s what it felt like)

4 Likes

Its super ridiculous. Not because its hard but because:

1. The difficulty makes absolutely no sense at all. The whole map is a cakewalk, so any QP group will plow trough without a problem and then you hit a spike in the last five minutes that 95% of all those QP groups will fail to overcome. This is especially frustrating because once again it gets clear how this game gets balanced after what the absolute minority of pretenders, fanboys and addicts with +1000 hours circlejerks in reddit and discords. Those people obviously have no problem with the maps because “git gud i solo lolxD”. but especially new players CAN’T LEARN the game because there is no progression here. It’s getting dragged trough legend in piszeasy QP maps by players who have a concept of what they are doing, luck and somehow getting by until they hit an event that is basically impossible for that demographic (since people have to at least carry their own weight here) and annihilation in under 30 seconds. Without knowing what the hell just happened and without room for learning how stuff works. Its even worse because gameplay wise there is no way to retry this challenge without running trough the whole (easy) map again. So what you created here is a brutally boring slope of grind with no reward and no learning possibility.

2. The difficulty also makes no sense in the bigger picture because this event alone easily makes this map the hardest one available. For what reason? Its basically a random pre-boss map. There is nothing outstanding about it in any other way. As someone already stated, its possibly easier to do the hardest boss in the game on legend than this random map on champion… just why?

3. The gear revolves around a slot machine loot system and anything besides reds is basically trash thanks to the super rng crafting. Having maps that are bad in terms of reward and very hard has been proven to be a bad idea beforehand in several other instances because of this. People who like a challenge can still use a modded version or go cata (I know, I know “I solo cata gid gud no challenge lul XD”) or deeds or a combination of those. But having such a map in the easy access bread and butter game mode (QP legend) were people try out things, pop in for a short game or grind chests simply leads to one thing: One less map available for the already very thin spread content this game offers because everyone and their mother will skip or leave.

4. Your nerfed Fort Barneybubble which was fine even for QP groups beforehand but not this one… again just why exactly?

Having hard challenges in a game is no problem but they have to fit in with the concept and the gameplay and this map doesn’t. Not at all. It feels like some fun mod ended up in the actual game by accident.

9 Likes

I don’t know what to tell you guys. I completed it 4 times last night on Legend helping Engineers get their Act 1 maps challenge completed.

Only one time did we feel pressure when 4 gas rats spawned immediately after entering the ritual circle. That was an unusual circumstance but we still manage to complete it.

Yes, we are all at the mercy of Ranald’s AI Director.

Yes, this does prevent more special spawns as 2 of the games I had last night, the gunners got stuck and was shooting into a wall. No other specials spawned after keeping them alive.

I noticed this as well. It did feel like it was completing faster than normal and I ran it 4 times last night. My friend and I had 2 random players join and they stayed with us and asked if we could help them do that map again while they play the Engineer class (one still needed it for GK as well) because they couldn’t find a full group to help them.

But, I have noticed recently that the double special spawns made a comeback since the Engineer patch released. Like I said above, had 4 gas rats spawn immediately after the event started and they all spammed 2 gas globes each in rapid succession.

On Legend Fort Brachs, we had 2 double leech spawns one after the other. After we killed the first double leeches, another 2 spawned in rapid succession. This hasn’t happened in ages.

TBH, I think Fatshark needs to change globadiers. Make them have to have line of sight to the player when they are throwing their globes and put a timer inbetween the globes. Seeing them throw 2 globes in 1 second looks ridiculous.

One gas rat before we dropped down to the event, threw 2 globes on us while it was standing behind a wall… It eventually dropped down and we killed it but there is no way that should be acceptable behavior.

2 Likes

I got to agree with this, I play vermintide 1 and 2 for years (Since the day Vermintide 1 got out in fact, I’m a longtime fan of the serie), and I really enjoy doing Legend with my bots, but for some reason the hardest thing in this game is the end event of Act 1 Map 2… why ?

And when I say Hard, it’s so freaking stupid, I mean you got to see the statistics of map completion and compare with the other…
well I guess I"ll wait for a fix to get that frame on my sweet engineer.

1 Like

(Voted yes)
Final event of Convocation of Decay has stack of “problems” that makes it perfect “noob crusher”.
Lets count:

1. Unique Pool of Stamina drain - new hazard that can kill people. Hook, lucky enemy push, unlucky dash - and you’re much more vulnerable.
  2. Open area combat - melee in open areas is harder than backing up to a wall \ taking a corner \ holding a chokepoint.
  3. Disorienting visual effects.
  4. Bad field of vision - circle elevation, columns, steps, ladders, and pillars will hide the specials. So killing them in time is much harder.
  5. Steps and columns create unfamiliar and confusing area to fight in. There were the cases when people kited themself into a “pokets” created by outer wall and ladders and died there.
  6. Pathway for enemies everywhere. They can leap anywhere and hit you from behind.

Whole place is much more dangerous than it seems. So scaling up spawn rate is exponentially increasing overall difficulty.

2 Likes

Did anyone try the strat where 1 person stays in the circle with the pillar behind their back while the rest of the team is just below?

I tried this today and makes the map completely trivial on Legend. The majority of the spawns will go bug the players on the ground floor where the person in the ritual circle gets very few spawns and even fewer specials.

The person who volunteers to stay in the circle (preferably a tank class) will have to stay within line of sight to their team in the event they get disabled so someone below will be able to save that player.

1 Like

Do you mean the cheese spot pillar? OR just against any pillar?

Honestly,I dont have much issues with this event at all.It’s fine as is,it’s just the players that have to adapt to what the event is asking from them.There’s nothing else in the game that quite matches the intensity nor the mechanics for completing the event with a success which is why I would like them to add more events like this that actually promotes being more mobile rather than standing your ground in one spot.

So,the specials only become an issue when they aren’t swiftly dealt with(which most pubs/average player always slack on,special killing duty).You don’t have to stay in the circle when things are getting too hectic,utilize the terrain that the map gave you.Use dropdowns and stairs to kite things and only go back inside the circle once things have been thinned out already.

2 Likes

Lol you made my day. But what you said it’s true.

2 Likes

I don’t know of any cheese spot on convo…

I’m talking about picking one of the stone pillars and standing in front of it to protect your back from climbing enemies.

There are numerous strategies on completing Convocation of Decay end event. The community here is more than willing to help give advice on how to complete the end event. In fact, there have been numerous strategies that have already been shared.

I would hate for an event to get nerfed when it doesn’t need it.

If you have to then go to modded realm and practice.

If you do experience bugs such as an insane amount of specials in the end event (more than 10), then record your game and either post it here or send in a support ticket. Console logs are also important.

Bugs don’t get fixed if you can’t provide proof of what’s going on with your game.

2 Likes

This is the point, average QP legend player doesen’t go to modded realm to practice, average QP legend player doesn’t even know about the existence of sanctioned mods. And it shouldn’t have to do this to be able to complete a random map in not even the hardest difficulty.

3 Likes

Average QP legend player doesn’t use Push-Attack properly.

I agree, although I do agree with @SirKruber in that there is a place for building community tactics. The issue I think is that tactics and teamplay in QP are painful and as VOIP is so lacking it’s terrible. There could be an argument that those of us who play QP a lot (like me) coukld use VOIP more to discuss tactics prior to wiping.

3 Likes

I said IF you have to go there to practice.

It is not a requirement, just a suggestion.

Some people can still learn tactics by continually playing. If you know about the modded realm then it’s a great tool to use to see what your strengths and weaknesses are and how to improve.

I mean, at least that’s what I did in 2018 when OG Legend was far far far worse than it is now.

I mean, even RECRUIT had to be nerfed. That’s how much harder the game used to be when it first came out.

Side note: Legend wasn’t nerfed until several months AFTER the ranged meta was fixed, so, yes, it was brutally hard for most people, including myself.

1 Like

Yes, the blinding bit is too much. Especially if you have bots (who all fall or jump down before long) and have to go down after them (since they’ll never find their way back up) you can’t see anything for several seconds. Gets me killed almost every time.

I agree. The difficulty ramp-up makes no sense. It is weird that Convocation is harder than most maps, as it is supposed to be the second map in Act One . As the second level in the game, and not even a ‘boss’/‘lord’ level, it is somehow harder than nearly all levels after it. Its finale spawns more enemies than Skittergate’s finale (a ‘boss’ map and the last Helmgart map).

Worst part of it is that NOTHING in whole game can not even remotely prepare you for CoD event. How i supposed to learn anything if i forced to spend mind-numblingly-easy-and-learning-nothing-new 20 minutes of my life before every try just to wipe in 3 minutes (2,5 of which i’m just trying to survive down the platform without any chance to progress event) and start all over again?! I did 13 tries since OE patch without any success, lost 6 hours of my free time to the void, without any feel of progress in learning. This is frustrating.

1 Like