Class Prejudice - who don't you play as?

I’ve put on my flame proof suit. Stand by.

Everyone has their favourite class. It’s Kruber for me, the one true hero of the whole thing - A simple farm boy, no long life or dwarven toughness, no magic or spiritual calling - he just joined up and fought with valour, witnessed some horrific things and still continues to defend what he feels is right and fight alongside his friends. He “Don’t want glory” just to do his duty, and a true son of the Empire and Stalwart companion and warrior. There are no better people than this, try and find someone as loyal and true as Kruber in real life, there are no better friends…

By the same token I NEVER play Kerillian. She is the epitome of absolutely annoying, self-important, egocentric people who are so patronizing as to be infuriating, give her an instagram account and she’d be the perfect egocentric b*tch flaunting her own importance with Photos of her hugging a tree or something “felt pretty might delete later idk”. The voice actress deserves some kind of accolade for conveying such a sneering view on the world so well. In 1300 hours play I’ve NEVER completed a run as Shade. I only got her to level 35 with Handmaiden to get the Steam Achievement and then never click her icon again. I’ve also got this irrational aversion simply because I think that WS is for the new players, free health, free ammo, aimbot ult. [disclaimer]I DON’T EVEN PLAY HER enough to form this opinion properly and it is completely uninformed and lacks experience - but I’ll never play WS because of this innate feeling it’s a class designed for people who aren’t very good. (^puts on crash helmet and shin pads^)

I never play Zealot, or Ironbreaker for similar reasons. Any class that makes me feel like I can suck up hits, windmill into a horde, has an ability to completely ignore death and generally allows people to feel like they’re better than they are isn’t for me.

I am completely gutted that Huntsman is now such a restrictive class that handgun might as well be used to wedge a door of Taal’s Keep open - it’s so bad. I used to like the handgun deleting CW but no such fun any more.

So, in an attempt to rescue my inflammatory post, who DON’T you play for completely irrational reasons? Everyone has some class they never play for that class just “feeling crap”, so which is it for you?

8 Likes

Well, considering my name was “Mayfly Lumberfoot” for nearly 9 months, I’m guessing you can figure out what I play the most. I’m a WS/HM main…

My least played classes are probably all of the Siennas. Although I am banging through them for the 100 clear hats now, about 80 runs left split between all 3.

BH and Huntsmen are two more that I hardly ever play unless I feel really bored, then I’ll do a couple games and never touch them again for weeks.

Shade also has been hardly touched outside the 100 clears I did for the hat. Put it this way, I think I was level 300+ on Queen Kerillian before I got around to playing shade.

Outside of WS/HM, I’d say the WHC, Merc and Slayer are probably my most used.

2 Likes

but why don’t you play Sienna? She’s a powerhouse!

I suppose I’m giving Fatshark some kind of backhanded compliment in that the various careers cater for such a wide array of players who like different things. @Fatshark_Hedge, @FatsharkJulia.

I love playing Sienna, although I don’t play whatever seems to be Cheesy. I played Sienna Unchained all the way up to 1.6 and refused to play Wigglemancer prior to BBB purely because it felt cheap, I don’t really play BW unless I’ve had a skinful now purely because I’m one of those people who feels like its cheating.

I’m struggling to get used to 2.0.x Vicky Saltz as I liked the 1.6 Bounty Hunter and can’t click with the new playstyle for him.

2 Likes

Who don’t I play as… oh boy let me check both V1 and V2… Saltzpyre 0 matches, Bardin 0 matches, Kruber 0 matches, Sienna around 5-10 matches… yeah.

This game really needs an Asur Loremaster hero

ny1

Galri Asur

2 Likes

WHC is a absolut unit now. Bleed talent with the Assassin talent, gg. Take the rapier and you absolutely destroy everything. Just aim up a bit for headshots. ULT talent I switch between 100% crits for thp and the refund ULT talent which helps alot with ressing and clutches. Crossbow if you want to 1 shot SV and specials or BoP which are still very good for dealing with large amounts of specials being thrown at you at once.

As for sienna, I dunno, I’ve just never been a fan. Also, keep in mind, when I say she’s my least used, I’m still ~100 levels on her.

Ah, a fellow man of culture.

Also, I don’t find BW that OP. Sure in high level weaves she dominates. But in normal legend, I can blow her away with a hagstalker, swift bow meme build or WHC. In Cata she’s a bit better, but still… and FS said they’re not going to balance around weaves. So I can see some adjusting, but I wouldn’t want to see her nerfed.

2 Likes

I hate Saltz. I don’t hate his careers. I hate Victor Saltzpyre. He’s a toxic PoS. And I dislike a lot of people that like to play him.

But I’m about halfway through getting all his 100 wins hats on his careers. He’s really powerful, and I hate it.

Sienna is my main love, followed a close second by Kruber. They have all their hats and every red weapon skin. Bardin and Kerillian are fine. I don’t have Shade hat or Ranger Veteran hat, but they’re well on their way. RV just isn’t fun. Shade is fine, but WS/HM are so much more fun to me. Shade feels faceroll easy.

But Saltz. If I never heard his voice again, it would be too soon.

1 Like

I dunno, he’s got some good quotes.

6 Likes

I like a lot of variance in my playstyles, so there’s no Career (or setup) that I won’t play at least occasionally, or to try it out a couple of times. I even have quite unusual tastes sometimes - I seem to be one of the very few who likes the Mace/Hammer&Shield attack patterns, as hard to use effectively as they are.

But of course, there’s a significant bias in my playing. My by far least played Character is Sienna. I don’t know why, really. Maybe it’s the heat management which I have occasional trouble with; maybe it’s the general fragility or the additional management UC needs; maybe it’s the general weight placed on range or how her staves work. Something there just doesn’t click with me well. she’s fun enough to do every now and then, but I doubt she’ll ever reach the play numbers the other characters have for me.

An interesting thing to note, though, is that while Sienna was probably my least played character in VT1, too there she was competing on that position with Kerillian. Now, after more than a thousand hours of VT2, Kerillian is my most played character. It’s hard to pinpoint any reason there, too. I’ve never had any problem with the personality of the characters (if I did, I’d hate Kerillian for her arrogance and Victor for his zealotry), so that’s not it. Part of it is likely that Kerillian was already the favourite of another player in my group, so I didn’t get that much time on her and couldn’t learn her well enough, but I think there’s something else too. I think something about her playstyle, or how it fits into the general game, changed between installations, and nowadays she just fits me better.

3 Likes

You are reading my mind! :muscle:t3::+1:t3:

1 Like

Sienna.

With 21 hours clocked into VT1 and 116 hours clocked into VT2 (you may all laugh now), I have adamantly refused to play a single game as Sienna in either game, as either career.

As it stands, my Sienna is level 1, across both games, with 0 experience progress.

I’ve always had a sharp dislike of magic users in all fantasy games I’ve played, with very few exceptions here and there. Perhaps I’ve just grown desensitized to it over time since it’s so often portrayed and always plays the role of some overpowered MacGuffin that can solve everything.

Hell, lorewise, Sienna is probably the only reason the Stud Squad is even still alive, simply because of how powerful magic is.

There are limits to what a simple bluff soldier like Kruber can do with a sword - there are no (theoretical) limits when it comes to magic.

I can be bothered to play Kerillian in the most dire of circumstances (then again, a team that is bereft of a Kerillian is rare), but I cannot bring myself to play Sienna.

Her personaility itself is just… weird, as well. It’s like she’s attempting to strike a balance between Kruber’s mild friendliness and Bardin’s over the top optimism, yet she fails at both. The mother figure role she’s more or less taken on, coupled with the overuse of the word “darling” is disturbing. Plus she’s an addict, and addictions are bad.

Suffer not the witch to live.

2 Likes

I like to cycle through them. Currently grinding the 100 Champ+ wins for all of them so it gives plenty of opportunity to really try them out.

In general, there isn’t really a career I don’t play but I aim to avoid the OP one’s in the current game version. Basically, I don’t want to get to used to them in that state for when they nerf inevitably comes. I’ve seen enough posts complaining about how careers become “useless” to not want to be in that camp myself.

1 Like

My least played is probably Sienna because i find her melee to be …well awful to put it bluntly.

She doesnt have a single melee setup i consider to be truly good, never has had one.

Sure the flamesword is really cool, the dagger is … fancy somehow and the crowbill is unique but they are all so…lacking or even weak overall, simply not fun.

I have found builds and setups that i enjoyed immensely on all the other heroes, Bardins 2handed axe&mace, Merc kruber for being an absolute unit of a man with that hammer/executioner.

Saltzpyre for his rapier+BoP, aint no purging heretics like with a one man firing squad followed by a warcry and a rapier hitting like it was a greatsword.

Lots of stuff on Kerillian who i mainly play, alternating between WS and shade with some handmaiden thrown in when i think a frontline is needed/needs help.

I play this game for the mix of melee and ranged, but with Sienna you basically end up sitting in a corner tossing fireballs and little else short of maybe walking into a horde and using BW or unchained special ability before walking back to your corner.

Very uninteractive and quite boring IMO, i can understand wanting to clear a large wave at a bad spot but doing it against everything and anything all the time? Becomes stale real fast.

1 Like

Don’t like:
Huntsman

Irrational reason: doesn’t look good; career seems outlandish for his personality/background imo; has no appealing melee “hunter” weapons; he feels boring

Rational reason: I love bows. I don’t get along with his longbow. Zoom is aweful imo (I know you have to release properly to not zoom in completely, but I just don’t like that)

Like:
Unchained; WHC; RV; Merc --> in order the classes I play the most with at the moment

1 Like

For me it’s Sienna. I like burning things, I like her character fine, but I’m just not generally a ranged character - ranged classes in general just aren’t my thing unless I’m in a specific mood, in which case I’ll almost always go for Waystalker, Huntsmen, or Bounty Hunter (and in that order).

To be honest, I like all the characters in the game. Kerillian only acts bitchy at this point because she secretly cares about the whole group, but knows she’ll have to watch them die.

I actually really like Bardin, but I don’t play him that much, either, mostly because Dwarfs annoy the hell out of me. He’s just one of the few I’ve actually found likeable. I’ve never gotten the appeal of them in any fantasy setting, but they’re frickin’ everywhere in WH media, and 99% of the time they’re the same trope character; they’re just short, arrogant humans basically. And yes - GRUDGE AWAY. I’d be disappointed if I didn’t have at least a whole chapter’s worth of grudges after this. :smiley:

2 Likes

My main is Kruber, only Merc and FK, but I hate the moustache, and only play FK with closed helmet!

3 Likes

My main is Bardin (all classes) and I play the remain classes in the same way except Kruber Huntsman, the only i dislike.

1 Like

Everything but dwarf, fk and zealot

1 Like

I’ll play anyone, but my least played is easily Bardin. His shorter vision is a little annoying when playing and I don’t care for a lot of his weapons. From his talents to his weapons to his lower view, he doesn’t appeal to me. I’ll play him once in a blue moon to do something different, but that’s it. I also don’t find Zealot or Pyromancer appealing. Zealot isn’t interesting to me because he is mostly religious zealot(duh) who rocks a “boost all my stats to insanity” character rather than having more interesting gameplay tools to change things up. Pyromancer is RNG Queen and is basically a worse and less interesting Battle Wizard. Pretty much everything Pyromancer does is RNG or condition based.

I just play what I find enjoyable and I rotate what I play a lot to keep things fresh. I like all of the characters and their banter. I think a fair amount of people can’t truly appreciate Kerillian’s character and just write her off as a “total b****”. She’s really unique and probably the most interesting elf to have existed. Most of the times elves in games or stories are flat and boring. From the voice lines to the voice actress, to the different interactions, there is such a strong depth and subtlety achieved with her character. Fatshark does that with all their characters though(some more potent than others) and it has always been one of the most appealing things to me about the Vermintide games.

5 Likes

That is the reason why i love Bardin instead… i mean… go in to wheat in “in to the grain” and don’t see literally a freaking sh*t, face the clan rat and see them big as hell instead how they really are, walk behind daddy Saltzpyre in all his majestic height, mumbling and fast walking for not to fall behind the group… This and other many thing is the principal reasons of why i litteraly love the short and cutie Dwarf. :heart:

2 Likes

I cannot stand Kerillian or Sienna. Playing them or hearing their voices as “my own” in game drives me insane. I only leveled them to get the achievement. I literally have not touched them since 2.0 and I aim to keep it that way.