Cash Shop

Game is still good and got better with the full release but the cash shop is as predatory and disappointing as everyone guessed it would be.

I am not an “it’s cosmetic only” apologist, aesthetics and visual representation of the lore are vital and iconic aspects of the rich 40k setting now being locked behind insultingly overpriced premium currency and not a reward for players to strive for.

Imagine if Darktide launched with not only the penance skins and recolors, but the flight jackets, vestments of faith, fatigues, regimental uniforms, hive fashions, and more there to discover, craft, or earn. It would be such a wonderful and rewarding celebration of the game, the setting, and the players.

I understand this is a common feedback but it needs to be voiced by more people. We can’t eliminate the cash shop, but if that evil is here to stay we need to prices reduced, the premium currency removed (or be offered in customized increments so people can buy EXACTLY what they want with no change), and more variety in earnable cosmetics added.

The people who made this game did a good job and it pains me it is stained in this way on launch day.

19 Likes

Don’t forget the sad clothes we get on the ogryn instead of the plate they wear in the ogryn trailer and show on the login screen. It makes me sick that it’s probably behind a paywall and now were stuck looking like house Goliath from necromunda.

5 Likes

I still hope they will bring those as earnable rewards but who knows…

Also my biggest complaint about the cash shop is once again the BS pricing.
You want to buy one set of armor? Then you will have to buy 10€ worth of currency and 2.50€ worth of currency.
Multiple purchases for once thing that you want to have instead of just giving us the right amount you would need.

All just to psychologically manipulate us, because the average user is more likely to spend money if they see they still have some currency left over.

3 Likes

Like in many other posts, I totally agree with this.
I can not understand why they didn’t put the skins in the shop right now as a part of challenge progression instead of giving us some mediocre free skins.
If they did that and implemented the cosmetic shop later like after the full crafting system and maybe some other content, people wouldn’t be this mad.

So, yes100% remove the FOMO and premium currency. First add more content/classes/weapons than implement a decent customer respecting cosmetic shop.
And remove/chance systems that artificially created grind time.

But I personally still prefer to pay for DLC’s with content than skins.

4 Likes

Some of them did certainly, but not all of them.

2 Likes

It’s just baffles me that they thought that something like that shop would pass, and I’m starting to think the same as some people just like to defend Fatshark with their lives.

4 Likes

I almost recommendet this game, but i simply couldn’t do it with a good heart.

Becouse I totally agree with this monetisation modell.
-TIme limited clothes, which we doesn’t even know if it will be available later on… this is intentionally makes more purchases… it is discusting i simply can not stand it…
-The premium currency bundles are not matching the prices of the bundles, thus you have to spend more… and if you see that you have left over currency, than you’ll think o i just need a bit more and i can get that one etc… it is predatory, it needs to be changed
-The game does not have full functionality, BUT the shop is fully functional… how suprising…

I do not want to be rude, but why do you have to ruin this game?
The Beta had issues yes, but you manage to fix sooo many issues, and personally i had a really good experience at launch day.
Overall I am not against a respectful buisness modell, it is okay to sell cosmetic items if you do it in a good manner, do not use any agressive monetisation metods. (aka time gated items, and lack of information if they will be available or not…)

2 Likes

I would have very few problems with a cash shop for people who actually feel good buying stuff instead of earning it in-game, IF there was a way to, through gameplay and invested time, get the needed currency to buy it without further investment. I already paid for the game. This is not Warframe, where the game is free and it is part of the whole “social contract” to trickled money into it to keep it going, this is a paid game, there should be no cash-only stuff, period.

welcome to the club friend. x

1 Like

A single one-time payment of $40 isn’t enough to support a live-service game. It needs a steady form of income, either in the form of a subscription (see WoW, FF14) or microtransactions (see… almost every other game on the market).

This is just the nature of the modern world. Bandwidth costs money. New content development costs money.

At the very least they should make the prices match currency to item prices (ie, not sell bundles with less or more than the price of items).

Selling mismatched premium currency amounts in nothing but manipulative.

Additionally, the should not have the timed shop inventory. Manipulating people into impulse purchases by invoking a fear of missing out (Who knows when that outfit will be available again?) is bad for consumers.

Want to improve this? Just sell things priced at exact real life currency prices and have all items available for purchase available at ALL times.

If they want to have premium currency be earned by play at some point in the future,
just skip the purchasing of it entirely and make all the earnable points just discounts on the base prices.

1 Like

Agree completely

If anyone is willing to fight against the implimnetation of the cash shop I’ve made a thread here:

2 Likes

The premium currency you have to buy in order to purchase many of Warhammer 40k: Darktide’s cosmetic items is not just so they can force you to overspend on purchasing cosmetics by not letting you purchase the exact amount needed to buy cosmetics. It’s also allowing them to skirt laws that exist in many countries and states within the US that makes it illegal to advertise fake discounts.

2 Likes

Day 1, I load up this game once the queuing is over, and the first thing I notice after several notifications is that the crafting is unfinished, the game performs significantly worse, but the currency shop works fine and you have to buy fake currency to use it.

The fake currency is what annoys me; I don’t mind a cosmetics shop, but the fake currency thing is unethical. I know the fake currency is to hide the real value of what I’m purchasing and to make larger quantities of in-game currency seem like better deals. The quantities never align perfectly with what you buy leading to waste unless you spend more money on the fake currency. After purchase, you end up with a leftover in-game currency that’s not enough to buy anything; it’s there to encourage people to buy more fake currency to make use of what’s left over.

I think this sort of predatory monetization should be illegal. As a consumer, I should have the right to see exactly how much I’m paying and pay only what it costs for the product.

I’d expect this from one of those crappy games developed by the likes of Blizzard or Tencent, not Fatshark (though it looks like Tencent owns a significant portion of the company). Hedge says they’re hoping to add a “buy what you need” feature, though it is difficult to add. I will never purchase in-game currency for cosmetics until this changes. I spent a lot of money buying all the cosmetics for Vermintide 2 and I appreciate that all of it was listed in my country’s currency.

2 Likes