Can't Boot Up While Using Nord VPN

Issue Description:
Can’t use Nord VPN when booting up the game.
A workaround for me to connect to servers is if I turn off my vpn, connect to game servers, and turn on my vpn. If I do that, I will initially get an error saying my connection will be slow.

It’s an inconvenience for me that’s been happening for months. I wish I remember what update happened that started causing this problem so I can be more helpful. It used to not happen when the game first came out a year ago.

I’ve tried the setting to exclude certain apps from the vpn with the “split tunneling” feature but it doesn’t work with any combinaiton of steam, darktide, and any other exe file in the darktide directory. I’ve tried every “protocol” in the vpn settings too and nothing worked. Even changing the IPv6 setting in game doesn’t do anything.

I see some people online say to use a vpn to make the game connection better and I’m here reporting the opposite.

Error Displayed (If Applicable):

Steps to Reproduce:
Turn on Nord VPN, start the game up form steam, get an error saying “failed binding to network address”.

Platform:
Steam

Reproduction Rate:
Constant (100%)

I’ll raise this to our database for investigation! Could you share your console logs with us please?

Ideally those that correspond with a session where you’ve attempted to load with the VPN enabled (and consequently errored)!

Sure thing! I replicated the steps and quit the game immediately after getting the error.

I use mods so I apologize if they muddy up any analysis. And to be clear, the error happens with and without mods enabled.

darktide_launcher.log (710.5 KB)

console-2023-11-17-11.18.44-7629fb09-c3a3-497a-960b-410dbde7c758.log (104.1 KB)

There is a lot of mod spam in the crash data which will obscure it unfortunately - I know it’s a pain but would you be able to reproduce the issue without mods?

Sure thing! Here are the new logs. I hope they can provide the key to solving this problem.

Had to repost this because I sent the wrong files.

console-2023-11-18-07.09.16-e82bd84d-f37b-46df-8457-53a76c1b39b6.log (24.3 KB)

darktide_launcher.log (16.7 KB)

I’ve shared these with our Backend Engineer. Thank you!

Thank you, Julia!