Can we please get an acknowledgement on whether or not ANYTHING will be done with the horrible penances?

Reason for me making this post: Currently working towards getting the Ogryn penances done, and no, I don’t need tips or guides, I have them all, that is not the point. We can all agree the penances are horrible and had to have been designed by someone who doesn’t play the game, or just wants to gently push people to buy premium cosmetics instead. And I knwo they’re releasing more penance cosmetics, but that still does not address the original penances.

3 Likes

It would be great if people read the Comm links.
We will get a penance patch next week. It will also have new content.

If you have all the penances what’s the problem? Why is it a problem to have some rediculous ones that are only for nolifers and lunatic completionists?

I have most of them myself and I don’t even try for them.

I will refrain from any hostility and simply say that I read it, and I mentioned that at the end of the op.

1 Like

My post is about the penances’ design itself. Why are you deviating the conversation? Can you please read the op again?

I reread your post and don’t see how your post contradicts mine in any way. If they’re so “rediculous” how do you have them? Are they horirble? How are they horrible? You don’t say. The only reason to be upset is if you’re a completionist and have to have all the penances and some of them are hard. But for the majority of the players they’re just a little gravy on top of the rest of the meal. Getting them all just doesn’t matter.

Occasionally some psyker comes along and blows himself up or whatever but that’s largely fallen off too and wouldn’t have even been a problem if it wasn’t one of a relatively few number of penances available at the time of its introduction.

1 Like

Okay, maybe English isn’t your first language, since you spell ‘ridiculous’ wrong to begin with.

The content is there for anyone to enjoy. What one does or does not, with their game, is not my issue. My issue, again, let me simplify this, is how some of the content is designed to begin with. If the content in question is designed in such a way that contradicts the way the game should be played to begin with, it begs the question, why was this designed this way?

Do you understand? I feel like you keep pushing the conversation onto something entirely different to which you yourself are biased to. I really cannot add any more to this exchange.

You should have specified which penances are horrible, and why.
Instead of giving reasonable feedback and explaining why some of the penances might be badly designed, you do not specify which penances you are talking about, do not make any points at all and just say

I assume that you are talking about the class specific penances.
Imo, most of them are fine. The badly designed penances are the ones that actually teach the players something bad (and should probably be changed):

• Psyker: Kill enemies by blowing yourself up (why not „finish x missions in a row, without blowing yourself up?).
  • Zealot: Stun a ton of small enemies with your grenade (why not stun a bunch of elites instead?).
  • Ogryn: Bullrush through a ton of small enemies (why not bullrush through x enemies and revive an ally within y seconds?).

From the top of my head, the other class specific penances are mostly fine. Some of them are hard to get, but for most of them, they are pretty straight forward.
And most importantly, they do not teach the player bad habits.

Since Hi Int Shocktroop Gauntlet is a thing and psyker got a few dmg buffs that affect BB, „Pick % MIx“ for the psyker is very easy.
Since we sometimes have patrols of 7 or so Crushers on higher difficulties, charging through 6 enemy ogryn is also doable within a reasonable timeframe.
Getting 100% accuracy as Veteran is a bit cheesy (maybe the accuracy requirement should be lower), but also definitely doable.

2 Likes

ending mission with 100% accuracy and zero Ammo left is super annoying.

The main problem with many class specific penances is, that players who are trying to get them are very annoying for the team because they do stupid stuff.

2 Likes

It can already be done pretty easily and i would say that with a slight reduction to the accuracy requirement, this penance would be completely fine.
Although achieving it in a timely manner, basically requires you to shoot barely anything except bosses, it can be done within a single attempt.
Also (and more importantly) nobody will „learn“ from it, that they should generally only shoot bosses and never pick up ammo.

I already said that and pointed out the big 3-4 that are the issue.

I had one of these today.
In Damnation + Hi Int + Shocktroop Gauntlet…
The audacity of some people is crazy.

Oopsie :sweat_smile:
I’ve left that phase behind me!

The 100% accuracy penance is so stupidly frustrating only because of the 100% thing, the chances of making it through a mission without even a single shot missing because a teammate happened to steal the kill while the bullet was in mid-flight are so annoyingly low, and there’s not really anything you can do about it.
99% accuracy would already make the penance twice as easy to achieve.

1 Like

haha i remember when you made a post about vote kicking right after they released a comm link expressly stating they were fixing vote kicking.

here is the post for reference

2 Likes

According to the comms link the old class penances are being “redacted” but still able to be completed. From the sounds of it I’m guessing there will just be a new penance tab labelled “REDACTED” and that’s where all the bad old penances will go to be forgotten.

Idk, seems like an admission that the old penances were poorly designed and nobody wants to fix them, so instead of doing that they’re just being given their own Tab Of Shame and FS is moving on. All of the cosmetics those penances unlocked were pretty boring so I guess it doesn’t bother me too much.

Plasmagun or shotgun… there is no chance you´ll miss any shot and you can play pretty normal.

I know what OP want so. I mean i´ve opened 2 threads by myself. But the 100% accuracy without a bullet left is actually nothing which really hinders the team. All you do is playing smarter. You start to shoot “wisely” and play around limited ammunition instead of pointless spam all day long.
That should actually be a thing in general…

The stuff that is heavily RNG depended or force the team to go “afk” somehow needs a rework and i really hope the patch next week will fix them instead of just adding new stuff. I got them all besides the monstrosity, yet i hope others don´t have to wait for 6 Ogryns or something. We need event-achievements poeple can do together.

Btw dunno how this match together…

And yeah, instead of acting rude, maybe explain what is wrong and what not etc… i´ve only 3-4 of them on my list and all of them are tied to Psyker / Ogryn. Vet and Zealot achievements are fine.

Frankly, my hated penances are Pix n mix and going out with a boom…

1 Like

Pick’n Mix is on my list too. It´s easily done in a team, but actually still sucks since the whole team needs to adjust to you.

I did it on a “solo”-mission when i jumped into a map the last 10 seconds before the reshuffle. Glad the bots didn´t killed one of them.

But “Going out with a bang” is pretty easy. But ofc… fully against “how to play”. Maybe we need a feat / blessing for a self-revive after overheating if you kill 3 elites with the bang. Would be funny to play a real living bomb.

Hi Flawless, I enjoy reading your posts since I do believe, that you’ve a considerable insight into the game and I also agree with 99% percent of the points you are making in various topics.

I’m by no means a completionist, but I do like to have some drip. And I can just say, that all top-tier cosmetic penances for almost all classes are frustrating beyond reason and counterproductive to the learning curve.

Let’s take a closer look.

1. Veteran
  • Finish a run with 100% accuracy and no ammo left: results in guys taking only safe shots at trash with some low-ammo gun and playing as wannabe zealots for the whole run. Not to mention that you need to be selfish both to avoid accidental ammo regen from other veterans and avoid risky shots. You see teammate pinned by disabler in tricky situation? Better not take any chances!

• Finish a run without taking melee damage: doable, but tough to people new to “Tide” games. Encourages selfish gameplay. Why bother picking up a downed teammate with few enemies around when you might get hit? Just block, dodge and walk through the map.

Rest is fine.

1. Zealot
  • Speedrun a mission in under 20 min with less than 1 wound left: encourages risky gameplay. Needs a group that plays along. If you play with randoms and one dude just goes for plasteel, then you will pull your hair out. I helped with that one a lot, and the gratefullness in the char from Zealot players was strong enough to power the Astronomican.

Rest is fine.

1. Psyker
  • Kill 5 specials/elites with BB in 12 sec: requires an ungodly amount of RNG and some incompetent teammates or organized group. If you have one veteran in random lobby that is a half-decent shot, then it will be pure pain.
  • Kill enemies by blowing yourself up: encourages players to beeline into group of elites and go thermonuclear. Great team contribution!
  • Deal 90% of damage to a monstrosity with BB: good luck with this one without a pre-organized group.
  1. Ogryn
  • Smack 70 enemies with ultimate: pray to RNG-God for the stars to align on your path, or get a group willing to camp in a tunnel until horde reaches critical mass
  • Smack 6 ogryns with ultimate: pray to RNG - God. Just get a group willing to kite some ogryns untill there is enough. Also it encourages new ogryn guys to charge recklessly into the fray in the hope of getting it. Or spam hi-intensity shock-trooper gauntlets in the hope of getting it with randoms. Again: RNG decides here.

Rest is doable.

Those penances are very more or less reliant on RNG to create a right circumstances for the player to use, resulting in the same frustration as the famous “crafting” system, where you might burn tons of plasteel (and time) trying to get a weapon that works.

So far I did all penances for Veteran (no cheese involved) and psyker (special thanks to my group). Some are open for Zealot and Ogryn. Nonetheless I wish to spare the frustration I had with some of these to future players.

Glad to ehar that :slight_smile:

I agree that this one is stupid as is. Not being allowed to miss even a single shot, is a bit harsh and can not realistically be achieved without ammo dumping on a boss.

I already said that the % should proably be reduced a bit.
90% accuracy or so should be fine.
It would likely still be something you would have to do deliberately, but that is fine imo.
At least there is room for missing a few shots here and there, which is 100% to be expected in a game where other people shoot enemies as well (or run into your shot).

This way, it would teach you to aim your shots well, rather than just incentivising to cheese it.

You can take a hit once in a while as long as you are at full toughness at the time.
This one is for a pretty easy difficulty as well.
Do it on low int, and it is not too hard and does not require to leave any teammates on the floor, because they likely will not end up there in the first place.

Because of that, i think it is fine.

Again, something you would probably have to do deliberately, but nothing too bad imo, since it teaches awareness.

Imo, having penances that require a specific type of teamplay like this, are fine.
I do not mind joining the Darktide discord and looking for a group for this penance.
If you do not like doing that, i guess the penance is pretty bad.

Maybe they could increase the allowed mission time to 25min. That is a pretty common time for clearing diff 4 missions at a healthy pace, so the penance would no longer require the entire team to speedrun the mission.

The penance teaches to play aggressively (limited mission time) and to make use of the zealot’s bonuses at lower health, as well as the different ways to improve your survivability.

This one used to be hard, but is pretty easy to get now, since psyker got buffed.
Especially in Damnation High Int + Shocktroop Gauntlet.
Since psyker got buffed, BB can 1 shot Flamers, Poxbursters, and Berserkers.
BB already could 1 shot Trappers, Bombers, Snipers, Shotgunners and Gunners.

Use the feats “Warp Unleashed” and “Kinetic Barrage” and you are fine.
Outside of 5+HI+SG, it is still relatively easy in situations where you have a bunch of shooters with (shot)gunners mixed in + a few berserkers.

The penance teaches players to focus specials and elites with BB, and incentivizes to learn how many BB it takes to kill the enemy (since you will want to focus the ones you can 1 shot).

Yep. This one is stupid. A good psyker should never blow up.

It could be changed to something like “during a single mission, stop yourself from blowing up by using your class ability”.

This way it would not have people do something moronic, and would teach players that they can save themselves from exploding by using their ult, even after the “aaah i am blowing up” animation has already begun.

I did it with a Plague Ogryn in a random grp, back when it required 100% dmg with BB ( i got incredibly stressed out, when a poxburster came after me, and i was scared it would damage the boss). I asked the guys nicely, they said ok and let me do it.
Ofc this can not always be expected.
Getting a clutch moment with an almost full hp boss, is not very likely to happen, so it is usually necessary for the teammates to allow you to do this one.
With an organized group, this is definitely doable pretty easily.
You can even do it while standing still, by spamming BB at a Demonhost that is attacking an afk shield ogryn (which is kinda dumb, considering that the penance is reasonably difficult otherwise).

Again, this is a penance i do not mind, but if you are not a person who likes to go somewhere to look for a party, this one could definitely suck.
Can’t spontaneously think of a way to improve this one without completely changing it or making it very easy.

Play damnation high int and just charge into a horde at the right time.
Use the feat “Unstoppable” for double ult range.
1 mission and you got it pretty much guaranteed.

It is easy to get but teaches bad behavior. Ogryn ult through trashmobs is usually useless and a detrement to the team.

I already suggested somewhere, that this should be changed to “knock down x enemies with your charge, then pick up a teammate (disabled or downed) within y seconds”. If it is something like 20 enemies, it is a realistic requirement and teaches something useful.

This one used to be absolutely awful and required insane RNG or a grp willing to pick up a bunch of big boys.
Now, you get a patrol of 7 or so Crushers once in a while, at least on damnation.
So if you play on max diff, it is pretty easy to get. Just might take a few missions until you get the patrol. Hitting all of them at once is pretty easy. Of course you have to be using the “Unstoppable” feat.

Even with these patrols, it still is mostly RNG and i still think they should reduce the requirement to 5 enemy ogryn. That would make the penance far less annoying.

The idea of the penance is, to teach players to use their charge for crowd control against elite enemies (especially enemy ogryn).

1 Like

How about a compromise? Instead of making the Penances less ass-backwards weird, can we just remove the Cosmetics off of them and move them to something else? Something simpler which just requires one to play well and not be an ass-clown, like running missions without dying, helping team-mates or getting use out of each class’ unique traits.

Blowing up as the Psyker, not firing your gun as the Zealot, etc. - those feel more like the sort of joke achievements one goes for when shooting for 100% completing, not how you get the precious few cosmetics the game has to offer. Maybe put weapon charms or portrait frames or seals on those old penances.

Sure, it doesn’t “fix” the penances in the slightest. It just means that a majority of those of us who hate them can just stop caring about their existence and, consequently, stop complaining about them.

1 Like

I haven’t really tried the Ogryn ones, but after moving up to damnation, all the penances are doable, albeit hard, except the vet 100% accuracy one. That one is totally ridiculous imo.