Announcing 'Warhammer 40,000: Darktide'

My Lord Inquisitor.

I’ve reached Atoma Prime and begun our investigations. A recon squad has been sent in to sub-level 6 of the hive to determine the full extent of the unrest. I’ll know more when they make it back.

If they make it back.

Ever since we developed and published both Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide, and Vermintide 2, fans have written us emails, sent us messages, tweeted us, made forum threads and even sent us postcards asking us to create a 40k game in the same vein as Vermintide.

Who were we to say no?

Introducing Warhammer 40,000: Darktide.

We’re sticking with what we know. A co-op game first and foremost, with the same tight melee combat that not only are we proud of but also that we’re known for. However, we’ll be giving ranged combat more complexity of its own to really bring it up to par with the hands on stuff. Our hope is that we can really deliver on some truly hybrid combat that’s both accessible yet boasts a high skill ceiling, offering the same opportunity for mastery regardless of whether you’ve got a lasgun or a chainsword in your hands.

When it comes to the co-op, expect a similar four-player experience that encourages you to work with your friends, or maybe even with new friends you just haven’t met yet.

Much like Vermintide, we want Darktide to be full of detail and respectful of the rich and spectacular world(s) that Games Workshop has crafted over the decades. We’re madly in love with all things Warhammer here at Fatshark (if you didn’t already figure that out!). It will be our mission objective to craft a truly unique take on the Warhammer 40,000 universe and we do believe that we have the experience to bring you a ‘boots on the ground’ 40K adventure that’s unrivalled.

There will be plenty of opportunities to get hands on with Darktide before release so be sure to sign up to our newsletter and add the game to your Wishlist for all the news, reveals and testing opportunities to come.

With all that said, and with heaps more details to come as we move through development, all that’s left is to welcome you to Atoma Prime, convict. The Emperor protects.

Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is set to release in 2021. Learn more and subscribe to our newsletter on playdarktide.com.

20 Likes

Interesting…

Still same engine ? How does that work with FS making still content for verm and deving versus ?

BTW nice background

Is it possible for this game to release on playstation later down the road like vermintide, or is playstation out of the question for this game?

1 Like

RIP Vermintide 2 :sob:

6 Likes

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one…

Seriously… HYPEEEEEEEE!!!

1 Like

One of my favorite games is the Vermintides, love your detail and dedication. I need this in my life, please give me more!

1 Like

Ah, yes.
And now try to sell me the idea that this game has a THIRD, totally independent team that’s working on it. :rofl:

8 Likes

I mean, its vermintide with Cadians and lasguns. But i would pre order it anyway.

would not backfire in anyway whatsoever, right? :monkey:

This looks great, I can hardly wait to get more details!

2 Likes

Kinda hyped but will probably wait before buying.
looks promising tho

RIP any dreams of a polished VT2.

6 Likes

When might we see a statement on how this is going to affect Vermintide 2 (+ Versus mode) development moving forward?

3 Likes

:yawning_face: this game will be also unfinished and unpolished as V2, so meh…

2 Likes

It won’t - a completely different team is working on DT I bet XD

1 Like

Yeah, I’m very curious to hear what they’re going to say about all this, and if maybe they’ll admit this is why development has been so slow. Are they going to use the failures of VT2 launch to ensure Darktide doesn’t turn out like that, losing tons of players within the first month or two?

I should say that coming from L4D, I am very much looking forward to a more ranged focused game (especially because a lot of my friends couldn’t gel with the melee gameplay from VT2). I just don’t understand how they’re going to keep all these plates spinning.

2 Likes

Since you’re taking suggestions… Can you hit up blizzard and see about doing a Starcraft version of Vermintide? I wanna see some melee hack and slash playing as a Protoss Zealot, dark templar and many other classes against hordes of zerglings and hydralisks xD Or even a shooter playing as the humans.

4 Likes

Is it built on the same engine as Vermintide or are you using something more functional. And are there any plans to include raytracing and DLSS?

2 Likes

With what you’ve done to Vermintide 2 I’m sorry to say I won’t be picking up any game from you ever again.

Gotta make use of those 100 employees somehow.

Don’t think they could truly ever polish V2 even if it’s the sole game they focused on. A few things are just fundamentally wrong with it. They had time to do it and we’ve seen they won’t be able to get the maximum potential out of it. Still a good game, could have definitely been better.

1 Like