Announcing 'Warhammer 40,000: Darktide'

Looks like a pretty cool experience and I’d be really interested in it. I enjoy this kind of game. I really liked Left 4 Dead as well. I’ve never bothered to learn much about 40k universe, but that’s mostly because a game hasn’t come out that got me to learn about it. Total War: Warhammer 1/2 and Vermintide 1/2 are what got me into the Fantasy realm. It’d probably take something similar to get me into Age of Sigmar.

For those worrying about this negatively impacting Vermintide 2, I wouldn’t worry about it much. I’ve no problem being critical of Fatshark when the moment demands, but they’ve demonstrated quite the positive actions lately. Series of actions, at that.

The “new career by the end of the year” coming out in June and being pretty good and interesting design wise, the Big Balance Beta, the way @Brytarn and whoever else on the Fatshark team is working still during the summer have been on top of patching, patch notes with comments(wonderful, btw), and tracking the feedback of players. Seriously great job. The article showing how they slowed the development of Versus to improve the base game. The unexpected weather system, which for the most part, looks incredible and functions well.

When I had checked some months ago, Fatshark had around 100 staff. That’s not a tiny company at all. They’re also not going to put 100 people on the same game nor will they all be developers. It makes sense for them to work on other projects (such as Darktide or publishing Dreadlands). So it wouldn’t surprise me if they have more than enough manpower to deal with all of this.

If they keep up this pace, they’re sure to restore faith. And I hope they do.

10 Likes

I just pray to the omnissiah that I will be able to play a tech priest/enginseer, as you could as an inquisitorial acolyte in dark heresy!

1 Like

I’ve put 1,700 hours into VT2 and believe it to be one of the best games ever made. I’m beyond excited for this game, especially considering the increased focus on ranged combat (I’m a huntsman main). Can’t wait to see what the Fatshark team does with Darktide.

4 Likes

Will this game eventually come to PlayStation sometime after the Xbox release? I know Fatshark releases vermintide content first on Xbox so hopefully it’s the same for this game!

I like the idea, but I’m not sure it’ll live up to the great feeling of cleaving through hordes of enemies with a massive hammer. I’ve long found Vermintide more appealing than L4D. Though, L4D2 did have melee weapons. Though, I’m not opposed to hopping back and forth to avoid burnout on one style of play.

I would like to see an official statement on if/how it will affect Vermintide development. There are slots showing that new careers for the other characters are apparently on the way and it would be nice to have more maps to bash rats in.

1 Like

This announcement blew me away during xbox stream. I have mixed feelings about this. I like the idea of Vermintide at WH40k setting but it also means the death of Vermintide. There is no way they can pull the support for two games simultaneously. So ‘Chaos wastes’ is the last DLC. Unless I don’t know smth - I’ll be more than glad to be proved wrong by Fatshark.

1 Like

A 4 person Guard squad? Nice, but really they would have more than 4 people in a squad to scout a hive lol

@Fatshark_Hedge By the way, don’t think it went unnoticed. Darktide. Vermintide.

2 Likes

Would feel bizarre seeing 4 guardsman taking out thousands of enemies, especially for us who are into the lore, but this seems more like part of an inquisitorial retinue which means these are highly skilled handpicked elites with the best available equipment.

1 Like

Can we get a brutal, honest answer about how many people are working on VT2 and how many will be working on Darktide? Or, are you going to “share” the resources?

2 Likes

I’m begging you, add HDR support. Vermintide suffers so much from dynamic range and auto exposure problems.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

1 Like

I saw a media outlet saying that this game was announced at Xbox Games Showcase and will be a Console launch exclusive. Does this mean that Xbox Series X will get the game first, then PC later? Or does it mean that it will release on Xbox Series X and PC at the same time, but won’t be compatible with previous Xbox consoles (One X and earlier)?

I just hope its not all range so that we melee fans can get up close and personal.

I don’t think we’ll play acolytes but more likely Storm Troopers.

1 Like

Nop, PC first, or at the same time that Xbox. PS5 later.

There was a dude with a chainsword in video, maybe there will be melee class. Something like berserker from Killing Floor. Or different careers like in Vermintide 2, one of wich will be melee for each character.

1 Like

Anyway, when I look at the trailer it looks to me like its going to be guardsmen/storm troopers. This is something I hope won’t be the case.

My suggestion is that instead of a recon squad we are cell of Inquisitorial acolytes who are sent in. This would mean a considerble higher degree of differentiation between characters and careers, oppertunities for banter and characterization.

In fact I’d go so far as to suggest that FS takes a que from the Dark Heresy games when designing the characters for this game. That should in my opinion offer great diversity in playstyles and possibilities for additional careers further on.

My suggested set of characters would be

Warrior - Generalist fighter
Scum/Desperado - Dirty tricks
Tech-Priest - slow tank
Psycher - various shenanigans
Ministorium Priest - short range dps
Assassin - quick but fragile dps
Arbites - disabler and horde control

1 Like

Me before: Hype for cyberpunk
Me now: Hype for THIS

I will definitely play this.

However, I wish Fatshark put some minds to what I felt was the biggest problem with their Vermintide games: the speed they are able to produce new content and the speed players consume it before they get bored.

I wish in the future some extra effort was put into building tools which would allow you for “random” map generation, similar to Warframe and maybe borrow some ideas from DOOM (2016) map editor to speed up map creation. Also some randomly generated player objectives, beyond just going from A to B etc.

Source?