About sexist and rude peoples

Just get rid of the downvote. Only allow people on any difficulty to upvote others and you are only allowed to vote for other people once. An experienced player going to help people in recruit or veteran should be allowed to receive upvotes.

1 Like

So the question is - if you have an upvote only system, what do you do with it?

I personally do not think it should affect match making. Instead reward the high upvoted people with something cosmetic like the portrait idea mentioned earlier.

Edit: the reason why I do not think it should affect matchmaking is that the toxic people will have close to zero votes, but also the new players will have zero votes. So it will match the new players with the toxic ones.

It’s kinda just a subtle way to promote more sporting behaviour. It wordlessly reinforces good play and gives people a lowkey way of complimenting others’ good play without it seeming like the complimentor is being obsequious or fawning. Just breaks down some social barriers as well as some of the minor insecurities we all have that keep us from being as open as we sometimes could be.

Digital equivalent of an affirming nod and a friendly thumbs up.

giphy

My version of this is friending ppl on Steam. If a player does well or was a decent human being in general, I’ll friend them after the match. Others seem to do the same.

2 Likes

I remember when the upvote system for friendly behaviour etc. got implemented in League of Legends.
You got fancy ribbons around your portrait for being a good boy. Well this resultet in players trading their votes to get ribbons, constant begging at the end of every match from at least one person (like and subscribe if you like my make up tutorials -style) and even in players trying to intimidate others to vote for them.
In the end they got completely worthless and told nothing about the player.
Its a nice idea because its basically hurting no one but oh boy, if you can count on one thing, then that multiplayer communities will find a highly effective way to abuse basically anything worthwile they are allowed to give to others for free. May it be votes, likes or unicorn baloons.

2 Likes

Sorry, I had to comment. I love your name!

This is why it’s critical that there be no award or punishment of any kind attached to it. Just a number, that indicates either your reputation or your experience as a result of playtime (more playtime means more reputation).

We don’t necessarily need punishment (mostly because the backend on that sort of thing would be a nightmare for FS to manage), but a way to AVOID these people would be welcome. Like a personal black list or the like. Though a way to report the rare insanely racist crap and the like wouldn’t be terrible, I’m not holding my breath and people would probably abuse it.

Is this a bait thread? Because you sure are baiting me at this point.

Male gamers are thirsty as all hell, if you receive insults for your gender regularly you must somehow attract bad apples. Literally every woman I’ve ever seen online gets bombarded with compliments and failed attempts at flirting, I don’t believe you for a second when you talk about women getting unfairly treated. That’s probably your own preconceived idea of gender discrimination warping your perception. I mean compare this thread to any other making a bad suggestion, the criticisms are tuned down, the flattery is tuned up and everyone is visibly uncomfortable because there’s a woman reading. It’s ridiculous to start talking about gender discrimination in this context.

Glad you realized that reporting is not an ideal solution, now you must realize that you are not treated unfairly, we all encounter jackasses from time to time and nothing will ever fix that. Don’t be a jackass yourself to minimize the risk. Get rid of that idea that it’s because you’re a woman that you get treated this way. It’s really not. If anything it’s an advantage.

This comment is just a straight up insult in a thread discussing toxicity and yet it has three upvotes… Nicely done mate.

6 Likes

This is a much better solution than anything anyone has suggested so far.

1 Like

70+ posts into the topic, and someone finally realized that. :+1:

2 Likes