Zealot Martyrdom

A Crutch.

I would like martyrdom to be either like this:
+X% damage
-Y% max health

Just a flat values.
Is it boring? Yes, but everyone who takes martyrdom wants to be at max stacks anyways.

or this:
hitting an enemy increases your damage by X% and damage taken by Y%, stacks Z times.

1 Like

It IS viable for everyone to utilise. What is it ableist now to suggest that if you want to use it you can roll yourself some wound curios?

Also you realise it being wounds instead of HP gives it great synergy with bleed for the emperor? So I guess we rework that talent as a bonus over your weird hang-up with making curios to complement a build :person_shrugging:

Like we’ve tried to explain how changing your curios to wounds for Martyrdom builds really isn’t giving up much in practice but there’s no counter argument just constantly reiterating how it’s somehow insulting that the build is made more optimal with wound curios.

2 Likes

The problem with that logic is that the ONLY build that can be made with Martyrdom is a Wound-centric one. If you use any other build with Martyrdom you’re really just wasting your Skill Points. I’d rather just have extra toughness in the event that everyone else dies because… well, no one can get me up? Wounds are only good whilst your other teammates are alive and that’s the way that they should’ve always played, your overall health should determine how desperate your character is because that way Martyrdom’s not just completely neutered on Damnation+ without a bunch of arbitrary lines on your characters health bar.

To be fair if it was % based hp it you could still build a crap load of wounds, and get that Bleed for the Emperor synergy anyways. It’s not mutually exclusionary. It’s a simple happy synergy.

The only difference is that if martyrdom is health instead of wound dependent it would make people feel less inclined to have to pick up that passive.

My guess though is that it’s a balancing factor? It is quite the damage steroid, and maybe not allowing the zealots to just stack pure toughness 17 + 5 trinkets keeps them better in check.

Maybe someone already mentioned that. I’m just dropping into this thread without doing my usual due diligence before popping off some random crap opinions.

It’s also the only keystone in the game that works like that and it’s incredibly powerful when you stack wounds with it, giving you benefits outside of what a wound normally does. If you could get those buffs without needing to invest your curios into it it’ll be even stronger and I don’t think that’s necessary.

4 Likes

Do you play damnation aurics? With randos? It sure doesn’t sound like it given your comments and then there’s your “martyr not viable” there. Pay more attention to how martyr, or any other build, works, I guess?

I play there exclusively and besides staying alive, I like to observe things like what’s effective for me, for the group, how others behave and how that affects me and the rest of the team.
I guess you don’t observe the game A LOT. I’m sorry that I try to focus on what’s going on and adapt, try to observe more I guess?

Martyrdom is a fun unique build. I do think my crit build is superior in every way I can think of.

I honestly don’t see a problem with wound curious, especially since the one passive that makes it so you have 40% reduced damage taken after each wound is just nuts. That passive is a must for martyr and wound builds imo.

1 Like

I think the only build that SHOULD be really good with martyrdom right now is a wound based build. There’s 2 choices in design there:

1. Make it more accessible and limit its power (sounds like what you are advocating for)
  2. Gate it behind a specific thing and make it more powerful.

FS went with option 2, which imo is a good design choice since more power typically is more fun. Zealots other 2 keystones are very general so can be applied to basically everything else.

IF you want to go a wound build, then you pick martyrdom and the 2-3 passives that make it very strong.

I would save your idea for maybe a new class that can have a different build based on % of hp, but that will require less general power increases for its passives since it’s not gated behind specific things.

I think part of their issue, many seem to have it, is they only look at a keystone and surrounding nodes and judge that in a vacuum. They seem to sometimes ignore every other tangential talent node (Bleed for Emp) leading up to it that may offer some synergy and make a straight line instead of zig-zagging to pick up useful, sometimes very impactful stuff (same with blessings).

Which is fine, nobody is asking for anyone to be Johnny Darktide Incarnate, but then things in the hardest diffs don’t quite work out sometimes and it’s “this build sucks” or “that gun sucks”. Yeah some things hit dead-end paths, but others rely on synergy between nodes and even weapon stuff. A fast firing gun on vet really comes to life with Onslaught, a marty with Bleed for Emprah, marty+crit you can swing by and grab many crit nodes as well. Picked Blood Redemption over Second Wind on the top right with a tac axe or dagger (and more) ? Eh…well you’re missing out some.

What’s that? My all toughness curio martyr zealot ain’t that great? Well all martyrs sucks.

1 Like
Tangent 2

You know where most of my green stimms go (a bit less when I’m on marty)? Keeping 2 wounders upright and sans ball-gag in the game because they’re perpetually on their last wounds.
The same people who can’t walk 5m-20m to pick it up when it’s pinged, markered and called out in chat, I even modded the mod to call them out in chat when pinged.
The same people who when you hand them a green stimm to use for later die with it.

When i got back to the game i did not like the thought of using martyrdom due to the dislike i had for the talent from how it interacted with the old skill tree.

But after having tested it out for a bit with the new talents available, it has ended up being the only zealot build i play these days, and i play it with a full stack of wound curios to really squeeze out as much attack speed and damage as i can get.

Also, like 95 percent of the times i go down, i go down in situations where having full hp would not have mattered anyways.

4 Likes

i don’t like this idea, not because it wouldn’t work but because zealot is already the soap-eater’s choice of class, and this will make them play even more ignorant in the low-mid difficulties, driving off players that would otherwise learn to git gud. there has to be a balance somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.