Martyrdom

Greeting, to start out I want to say that the skill trees work very well for me and are overall a quite satisfying system.

However as someone that played a lot of “martyrdom preacher” I’m quite disappointed to see Martyrdom now turned into a Keystone, not only that but it’s mostly weaker in many ways than before… This feels a bit strange to me since despite it been fun to play, it was in my opinion never a good choice to do so in terms of having the most success with it.

Needing now wounds to enable it is annoying since it takes even more options from somewhere else.
Damage applies only to melee now and not to ranged anymore which I think is a horrible choice.
And together with the Until Death nerf it just doesn’t feel like much fun anymore at all…

In my daring opinion Until Death could be the Keystone, it’s too good to pass on anyways which also makes the other aura paths much more unappealing, of course it could in that case be made stronger again and additionally give some bigger benefits for that playstyle while Martyrdom stacks could be found spread as minor passives instead.

This is more of a rant since I don’t think it will be reworked. Maybe some other zealots can share their opinions and feelings on this.

It never applied to ranged though?

1 Like

idc just give us 2+ wound curios so we can hit 10 on damnation and ACTUALLY GET MAX STACKS

Pretty sure it did tho I haven’t played much before the patch

No it has always just been a melee damage bonus, tooltips are not super reliable.

i think it was a static 8% damage based on every 15 missing health

Martyrdom
+8% damage for each 15 missing health. Max stacks 3.

(Also) Honour The Martyr
Martyrdom has 6 max stacks.

so for 90health you could get 48% more damage.
so with no curios 45% less health for about 48% more damage.

what we have now is

Martyrdom
Each missing Wound grants +8% Melee damage, Up to 9 missing wounds.

so with 3 ( +1Wound )Curios, and the ( +2 Wound Passive) Faiths Fortitude, thats 5.
and when playing on damnation difficulty that would be only 8 Wounds.
so with 3 curios 75% less health for about 48% more damage.
or assuming you some how had 10 Wounds(somehow),
90% less health for about 72% more damage.

I guarantee you it has always only boosted melee. This has been thoroughly tested before has never been a global damage boost. Again tooltips are inconsistent and often incorrect.

2 Likes

it could very well be, i played Zealot but never tested it fully and was always running Melee so i likely wouldnt have noticed. the tool tip doesnt specify.

I used to run Martyrdom. But now that is based on wounds instead of %health, I will not run it anymore.

I cannot understand why the game designers decided to make such a change.

I don’t really see what the big difference there is? If you’re running max wounds it’s basically just gain stack per ~14% HP lost except you get better bonuses now cause you’re getting attack speed and toughness DR as well?

Because now I can no longer have both 300 health and 6 stacks of martyrdom at all levels of difficulty.

The entire point of martyrdom for me was to use it to regenerate my 300 health via holy revenant.

That’s true but you can also have more attack speed, and much higher DR, and now with modified holy rev you can stay at at least 5 stacks after until death procs. It’s less safe if you get toughness broken (easier to avoid with way more toughness damage reduction available) but it’s more DPS potential and easier to stay at high stacks. Better or worse depending on what you value but very definitely not a clear downgrade from before.

But you also have to consider that now you miss out on the other keystones, before the investment was rather small for the bonus benefits and running at low health is not a insignificant downside… Where before it was more of a secondary opportunity thing, now its just be low or be horrible
Feels very unsatisfactory Imo

Yes, I tried and it’s glorious!

After a few more games… I’m hooked! You were right!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.