Zealot Keystones (and talents in general)

I feel like the zealot talent tree is pretty messy in general. More on that later. First, I want to talk about keystones.

Blazing Piety (left keystone) - Used with the 2 sub nodes on the right I find to be perfectly fine. However, the 2 sub nodes on the left are just trash. I think Stalwart (+50% toughness on proc) should be changed to be similar to Enemies Within, Enemies Without (2.5% toughness per second when close to 3 enemies). Blazing Piety procs early in hordes and tends to stay active the entire time. Giving it a small % of constant regen while active would be more useful. Infectious Zeal (33% Crit Hit Chance shared to allies in Coherency [aka 5% CHC]) should be double that, if not the full 15% CHC. This would make the left sub nodes viable - better survivability and team buffing (assuming they stay close) at the cost of less self buffing.

Martyrdom (middle keystone) - With its 2 sub nodes it is mostly fine. My main issue here is that in damnation you can only access 4 of its 7 max stacks. In other words, its stronger in easy modes and weaker in hard modes which conceptually is kind of weird to say the least. Seems to work fine in damnation and IDK exactly what I would change here but it just seems wrong haha.

Inexorable Judgement (right keystone) - This one needs some help I think. Even while constantly moving in a fight I never seem to get more than 10-15 stacks back, even with the +3 stacks on successful dodge. I think needing less max stacks to get the same bonuses or slightly buffed bonuses would help give alternatives to the crit zealot meta. All the talent points spent on crit talents could be moved into the toughness ones and could make some really tanky zealot builds.

I think the abilities are fine with the exception of Chorus having Banishing Light below it. This essentially makes Chorus a 2 point cost which is rough when most builds already are stretching all over the talent tree because of how spread out the synergistic talents are. It should be part of Chorus or moved to the side so its optional.

The auras are probably the biggest mess.

Benediction (left aura) - Easily the strongest pick if you aren’t using throwing knives (cost of moving across is pretty high). All the previous nodes leading to it are strong, with the 2 on the right side being even better imo. You get 5% melee damage and movement speed and Until Death + Holy Revenant (immunity to down and some healing, 120 sec CD). And 15% toughness DR for you + team. Strong.

Beacon of Purity (middle aura) - The aura itself isn’t that bad. Can save the team from chip corruption taking away wounds. I’d like to see it restore HP equal to either 25/33/50% of corruption cleansed. Its biggest issue is how useless all but one node leading up to it are. Shield of Contempt is the only one that is more than half decent (I’m being generous to the other options here).

Loner (right aura) - Where to begin. This catches a lot of flak because people think ever loner zealot is off being useless, alone. Who knows maybe they’re on to something but that’s not how good players use it. It provides a small buff when you are alone but if you’re playing with your team it is functionally useless. Short of replacing it, I don’t think you can buff it without encouraging people to play off by themselves even more. That being said, if it were to be buffed, I would say something along the lines of still gaining a reduced % of team auras benefit even while outside coherency. It has another drawback of nodes directly above it being mostly useless. The left 2 aren’t bad but the other 3 are just nopes.

Blitzes are all fine as they are. Don’t see much need to change them. However, the top of the talent tree is loaded. Left talents are all great. Toughness and damage bonuses. Stun grenade is my least favorite of the 3 but not bad. Middle line lots of damage talents, healing option and some more toughness regen options. Can’t go wrong with immolation grenade either. Right side is all your crit buffs, toughness DR as part of crits and another strong toughness regen and okay toughness regen option. Throwing knives are strong if you can aim them and work great paired with certain weapon combos.

The top being so loaded and the middle being relatively weak makes zealot builds very point hungry. All mine are all over the place. And the cost of going for specific nodes often comes at the price of taking some weak ones. The standard crit nodes in the top right and crit keystone in the bottom left means you’re spending a lot if you opt for the crit builds. It all feels kind of messy.

Obviously it is nice having a lot of strong picks right on top because you don’t need as many points invested to reach them. But it feels bad at the same time opting for sub par nodes and less preferred blitz/ability/aura because many of the synergistic nodes are spread so far apart.

Should the be lined up nice and neat with all the best options in a row? Obviously not that either. I find most my builds dip into all 3 top lines and all 3 bottom lines and go straight through the middle two because that area is a mess of pretty crap options, especially compared to the top and bottom.

Maybe it’s that way for balance but to me it just feels bad.

1 Like

Inexorable judgement is on par with the other zealot keystones and arguably better than blazing piety for a lot of builds.

Attack speed is a direct multiplier to your dps, and getting 20% more between fights with an unnecessary 20% damage boost attached to sweeten the deal is already crazy.

Just because you can’t keep max stacks doesn’t mean its not good. Plus it asks nothing of you.

Play Marksman Focus to see what a bad keystone looks like.

All of the zealot keystones are hands down the best in the game.

The auras are fine as well.

EDIT: Show me your zealot builds. I don’t feel point starved in mine. Maybe I can help.

5 Likes

I don’t think Inexorable judgement is bad per se, just that with how good the crit builds work together it feels tough to choose it. Especially when martyrdom gives similar buffs with 100% uptime, assuming you can play with the risk. I find that said risk isn’t very bad with the down immunity and that any time I go down it probably wouldn’t have mattered much if I was full or low hp.

My main gripe with the auras I suppose is more the cost of taking them. There are a lot of weak talent nodes grouped up above 2 of them.

This is my main one right now, heavy evis crit build. Ideally I would swap to immolation grenade but there really isn’t a single node to take away for it imo. The top right is the standard crit/DR buffs. The bottom bit is the increase attack speed and melee damage which i find too important as well. While the middle bit on top is pretty optional for the core of the build, that is two strong buffs and I would need them anyways for immolation.

Edit: If I were too change it I would drop the entire top left, losing Enemies Within/Without and possibly even removing Disdain for Blood Redemption (50% more toughness on melee kill) on the right because there would be minimal toughness regen without it.

Very last sub node is cut off but I have both there. Knife/Flamer build. Again I feel basically trapped into the blitz and aura because I want shroudfield. Opted for both Sub nodes on shroud because I dont have toughness regen talents on the top left. Also took the bottom right bit for 1) insane mobility 2) basically instant CD. Again attack speed node is there because very strong pick on any build. I tried this build using Inexorable Judgement and moving the saved points to the top left and it didnt feel as good. And it still wouldn’t save enough points for a different aura or blitz.

Edit: Saved points I mean just the 3 from Blazing Piety. Invocation feels too important if I cant reliably keep getting back attacks for any reason. Sadly that comes with another 3 nodes above it that don’t add much except maybe 5% more speed.

Judgement is better for knife builds. Same with FotF. Doubling down on insane attack speed is amazing.

The 25% crit on dagger is not as noticeable as 40% attack speed which you can have 100% up time on during hordes.

Just run lacerate on your dagger, and the additional 30% crit chance is more than enough.

It’s true solo viable, and by extension everything else viable.

Invocation’s “point tax” is actually quite good on Zealot. It’s another case of doubling down on what’s good on them. Movement speed is pretty equivalent to DPS on a melee class, and it’s movement speed on the fastest class in the game.

The 25% suppression node on the other hand. Suppression is utter garbage even on veteran. Why would I want things taking cover instead of letting me shoot them? Ugh.

The impact strength one is also surprisingly noticeable for staggers, on a brighter note. Stacks nicely with Grievous Wounds.

If you are using Flamer you NEED throwing knives. Same if you are using a bolter.

I wouldn’t call that being trapped. I’d call that an optimal choice. Other than picking shroudfield. Stealth builds are…anyways, yeah.

Second wind is crazy. It works on ranged attacks. So sprint sliding at gunners can regen your toughness. It’s 1 point, and it’s already in the right tree.

1 Like

I’ll dig into this and give it a go. I use bolter on my heavy eviscerator build. I like the flamer for knife because in a pinch it will melt everything aside from crushers and those end up half dead at least. I also doubled down in the back stab department using the 100% on back stab. It seemed to kill faster for me.

With this build the stealth seems rather strong. When I say near instant CD sometimes it literally is instant (gotta be a bug lol) otherwise is always sub 5 seconds. Stealth can be used for revives or repositing if things are going bad. And the fact that it absolutely chunks monstrosities and one shots crushers. I can usually stealth kill first crusher, kill a second in one or two heavy special light knife combo (mk 3), and have stealth for the next one again.

Yeah I like the extra movement speed but I felt like Grievous Wounds was enough on its own. Plus I find the MK 6 knife a little unwieldy. And mk 3 isn’t going to proc extra impact is it? (Requires 3 enemies hit with one melee)

Things can often go bad because of stealthing. Ounce of prevention etc etc. I’ve already made a ton of posts about this so I won’t get massively into it. I’ll just say aggro redirect can seriously screw over teammates so I don’t use stealth on either my vet, or Zealot on principle. Though its more acceptable on Zealot who tends to only pop off the aggro table for a much shorter time.

Doubly so with the epidemic of silent specials.

Yeah. That did happen in my premade group tests (I point this out because I really don’t think stealth should be used outside of premades). I’m assuming its to do with accidental cleaving happening, or getting double ticks on the backstab CD reduction because of server lag.

You can have full uptime on the 20% attack speed on FotF as well is my point, and it’s an excellent toughness restore to boot as well as letting you dash into entire hordes of ragers, and putting up a lethal bleed before they get out of the stagger.

It still absolutely brutalizes bosses as well. FotF + Bolter is also very silly.

The approach with stealth for those rager hordes is letting someone else take the risk of fighting them when you are on zealot which is the strongest class in the game. You should be onboarding most of the danger on principle.

1 Like

Each of the keystones are pretty good, arguably some of the best across the game in terms of effects and synergies.

Inexorable’s biggest pain point I think is that it’s just really bland. The effect is great as Tempest mentioned, free attack speed and damage for doing stuff you’re doing anyway effectively means that any noncrit, standard build just gets better. Start a fight strong and retain a solid portion of that power through the fight even if you can’t get full stacks. Its just really boring because it’s not very over the top compared to knife speed martyr evis, or fury spamming crits.

Here’s the thing, chorus is the best activated ability in the game bar none. What feels like near line of sight suppression, AOE stagger, massive toughness boost, a damage or DR boost of your choosing on the class with the easiest access to cooldown reduction in the game (I think). Nothing comes close to the sheer tide turning capabilities it possesses, which is promptly reflected in the point cost. I’ve seen gunners on the other side of an arena cower in fear from the zealot 30m back with a rosette in his hand. All it takes is one good evis cleave in a crowd with a crit to give it a cooldown similar to VoC. Its crazy, but also costly.

The joys of buildcrafting, opportunity cost is quite abundant and I have noticed on my own builds I’m often crossing horizontally quite often, purity’s tree makes me sick and if it weren’t for thy wrath be swift loner would be even worse off than it is now. If the middle trees were less iffy then might feel less painful, but despite that it’s still pretty easy to get some nice builds going with a bit of sacrifice depending on the aim. Personally I’d suggest going lighter up too and focusing more on the bottom if it comes down to it. I usually track straight down and snap up the good bottom of tree perks and work my way back up.

3 Likes

To add to this the rate of fire + damage increase is very noticeable on a lot of guns. Plus it’s a good toughness source that can proc on ranged hits. Superb keystone, I use it frequently.

Huh? TWBS is at least a top 3 talent in the whole damn tree. S+ tier I will do my best to squeeze it even into Zealot builds that don’t use knife or loner. Dance of death is weapon specific but it’s incredible for brauto, which also happens to go VERY well with IJ (and is a great Zealot weapon generally).

Zealot tree is pretty perfect to my mind, save keystone sub node paths not being competitive with each other (which you pointed out and I agree with).

I’ll admit I don’t personally use middle tree options very often but even there there are some superb survivability synergies with martyrdom (shield of contempt is incredible burst damage protection for your whole team).

1 Like

I knew I was forgetting something. Yeah. TWBS is one of the best nodes in the game let alone the Zealot tree.

Stun immunity let’s you dive entire gunner packs with full mobility on your side. Just rock the triple gunner resist, and ranged mobs are entirely free for you.

There’s no better class to deal with ranged hordes which you’d think it would be vet, but nah.

I did say the left two there were okay lol. TWBS is nice when it procs but I don’t typically find myself being stunned when not running it to begin with. Still doesn’t change the fact loner aura is basically anti team play and if playing as a team only is procced when people are dead. I find its only “legit” use is if you go deep to take out ranged groups.

I mean its buffs are great all around buffs don’t get me wrong. It’s the uptime (max stacks) I think is lacking. I guess with FotF dashing you would get more back? I haven’t tried that pairing yet. Maybe I am just a little OCD but I hate proccing it with only like 14 stacks lol. Where as Martyrdom is active as long as you have low hp and is still fairly safe. Blazing Piety is like 99.9% uptime. If fighting is happening, it’s active.

It is indeed insanely strong. Just feels bad to me being forced into that extra node.

I agree, random stealthing vets are evil lol. Personally, the way I play I’m usually already charging the heavy attack when I pop stealth, I just want the huge damage hit and I am right back out, typically killing what ever just starting moving past me (IE free back hits). Otherwise, someone is already down and things are already messed up and I am trying to save em.

The aura paths are kind of the same thing though. no? Until Death/Holy Revenant with benediction is like no brainer. Duelist is strong with something like knives, desperation has bad condition to proc imo. And it comes with 5% melee damage and 5% movement speed. Above Beacon of Purity you have Shield of Contempt which is amazing, everything else is laughable. Loner you have TWBS and Grievous Wounds. The other options are really bad. There is no real variety here and I always find the point tax of moving around in this area is never worth it.

TWBS is melee hits only, how does that help with ranged units? Am I missing something? I jump on ranged packs all day long as zealot. Also, for reference, I do play auric though not maelstrom usually. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on what everything does, I just find it hard to deviate away from specific talent nodes because the cost gets high really fast, especially in the middle section. I’ve ended up deleting every build that takes more than whats on the direct path of chosen aura.

Yeah. It’s surprising. It shouldn’t work so I’m assuming it’s a bug, but not having it when I’m trying to dive ranged units is very noticeable as I can’t sprint without getting staggered.

Personally, I think ranged units other than shotguns should not be stun capable anyways.

Huh…I will look into that as well when I pull out my knife build again. Yeah getting tagged by a random trash unit bullet from 10 miles away and stopping dead is like the worst feeling. Kinda same as fire stopping you but that is usually more avoidable at least.

Fire is fine, but not anything like mini shooters being able to stop you. They can be far too numerous, and shooting you from multiple different angles depending on the surrounding geography, whether they are well (unfortunately) placed ambients, or if you didn’t get to camp their spawn zone fast enough.

So in the middle aura path I feel like even swapping Shield of Contempt with The Emperor’s Bullet would be nice. Potentially too OP? IDK cause can’t really test it with builds that don’t already take it lol. I feel like a lot of the middle talents could be swapped around to match more synergistic talents without breaking the game and giving you some more freedom in that area. Each path is just very one sided. Duelist could be moved above loner. Ambuscade and Sainted gunslinger could be put together if one was so inclined to go for ranged talents.

I think removing or severely nerfing “Enduring Faith” will help zealot tree alot.
It’s just gives too much and so easy to uptime, that not taking it seems like you are hurting yourself. You basically have to invest into a lot of multiple nodes in order to get roughly th same survivability EF gives you, being just one node.
It also became even more stronger with fire nerf.

EF combined with a knife is what actually allows people to rush and solo, not loner.
Whenever i played knife zealot crit build, game became much more easier, i felt like i am immortal and the only thing that can get me is disablers.
Speaking of them, there is a talent, that gives you immunity to dog’s pounce (with cd),
but loner is always at the center of attention, I guess it just hard to get past your first thought after reading description.

Regardless of what the talent says the game does not make distinctions about where stuns come from. Thy Wrath Be Swift gives full stun and slowdown immunity. Chorus also gives stun immunity too. As does having full stacks of punishment.

1 Like

Tbh, I was about to make a loooong looong post…

Then I remembered that FS doesn’t care of what we think…

Short post.

Zealot talent tree is excellent. Don’t mess it.

1 Like

To add to this, it does kind of seem like a bug since it doesn’t match the description but it’s something that has stayed through the patch 13 tree rework and I think FS is aware it’s considered a pretty integral part of a lot of Zealot’s playstyle so I don’t think its current effect is going away anytime soon.

So yeah @shnappy in response to some of what you said above, complete stun immunity is very powerful, so your assessment of only left pre aura nodes being good is pretty off base IMO. I feel like you might also be underestimating the value of shield is contempt. That’s another S tier talent from my understanding of it.