With CW runs taking so long this game DESPERATLEY needs proper host migration and reconnection options

Just got disconnected during the loading screen of the final arena of a run. Was even hyping up the fact Id saved that giant bomb miracle for it. FEELS. BAD. MAN.

4 Likes

Were you able to attempt to rejoin? Your load out and boons should be saved so your progress is kept if you leave and rejoin as the same class.

They added a rejoin button? Or you have to find the steam user and join them that way? I was playing with randoms. The game actually disconnected from host during the loading screen and then got stuck on the loading screen, I had to alt F4 out, so if they added a rejoin feature I didn’t get to see it lol.

If there’s a rejoin button, I haven’t found it yet… but that’s definitely a feature they should add!

I guess the rejoin button is to open the lobby browser and load back into the game you disconnected from. You shouldn’t lose any progress.

I’m assuming it works in the live version as well as the preview client, but host migration works in Chaos wastes. I had situations where the host crashed, game migrated hosts and the host simply rejoined. All character progress was kept and all we had to do was restart the mission we were on. All boons, weapons, and coins were saved. Even the coins picked up during the level we had to restart were saved.

Chaos Wastes has host migration as a feature. The map reloads but all accomplishments are saved(boons, weapons, coins, etc.). You reload with the items and health you started with on that level.

As others have stated, everything you’ve accomplished to that point will be saved and all you need to do is rejoin. Ways to do that would be opening the Steam window while in game, View Players, and it should show recent players. The other would be to rejoin via the lobby browser.

For those wondering about abuse? I reckon you could. But the downside of some players trying to cheese is far outweighed by the majority just having their progress not completely erased over a long playthrough.

I’ve experienced two crashes under different circumstances, one mine and the other being the host’s. When I crashed, I was able to rejoin the host with everything still intact, however after the host crashed I think we lost everything.

It isn’t exactly clear how host migration works, and since it’s somewhat new for the chaos wastes, it would be nice if when you are migrating, it tells you how it works so you players don’t do anything to sabotage themselves, since we don’t understand how it works (since we’ve never had it before where progress is allegedly retained).

Host Migration is a lottery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. Today I had a game where after 1h almost being done host rage quit, host migration started and we joined new host… in his keep. Basicly lost 1h of our time and chests. There need to be a save progress/reconnect option. In case u DC or your game crash there should be 2/3 minutes window where if u launch the game it will put you back into the same game and your slot is locked to make sure anyone else can’t join during that time. Also some kind of save progress is needed. Game mode that takes over one hour to finish in a game where DCs, Crashes and rage quitting hosts is so common that doesnt have save progress/reconnect options is really bad. In case u DC/Crash or something happens to host and game ends there should be a way to go back into the last level u played, we shouldnt relay on host migration system that doesnt work all the time because it doesnt solve all the problems. Because if your game crashes or u DC host migration wont save u. Or in case host migration fails… This needs to change asap.

It isn’t exactly clear how host migration works, and since it’s somewhat new for the chaos wastes, it would be nice if when you are migrating, it tells you how it works so you players don’t do anything to sabotage themselves, since we don’t understand how it works (since we’ve never had it before where progress is allegedly retained).

Host Migration was there before Chaos Wastes, its even implemented in normal games. Basicly when something happens to the host game loads back under new host and u start from where u left in normal game, if u dont click cancel and everyone else does it should put you back into the game as your own host with bots according to devs. How it works for chaos wastes is the same but u start the last level again instead of putting you back where u left. System not working is a different story and it still doesnt solve problems of dcs and crashes. Host Migration fails so many time it doesnt even feel like its there.

Since when did host migration in normal games keep you where you were? That must be a very recent update if true. I’ve played since VT1 launch and it’s always restarted the entire level over from scratch, making it pretty pointless.

It’s good to know that in theory the game saves most of your progression in choas wastes but there really should be an in game reconnect option. I’ve never found the recent players steam feature to be remotely reliable.

Seems like what I have been experiencing is the host crashing, I’ve seen a lot of people complaining about crashing when loading into new maps. Hopefully if that gets fixed it will be less of an issue.