Why nerf Ogryn?

The recent patch nerfed Ogryn… which made the only viable weapon on Auric again the shield. Which is still suffers from extremely poor damage output: the light attack feels like the same as fighting in the pool with a soft pool noodle.

Please at least remove any damage on the stacks, toughness breaking made him good tank. Now its utility is ruined and you cannot tank with him anymore.

Why not just let him have one build where he can soak damage? His melee / ranged is still neglieable along with no ability to soak the damage… Why play as ogryn unless for meme if is not good at the one thing he should be good at tanking…

1 Like

i play ogryn exclusively as a class and on auric maelstrom 99%of the time, and i really can’t agree to any of the points, at least not in that magnitude.

knife IV, club I and III, shovel V and shield give a good versatility with equal tradeoff for what they’re meant to do.

the charge through/bleed fire and forget made most encounters trivial, almost felt like ogryn kenshiro were the enemies fell regardless of me bashing on or having them bleed a little longer.

i admit, skullcrusher has been changed, but not to the point that i’m underperfoming compared to what i could do before.

so far left tree with a little side track to pick the big grenade plus a tiny bit of lower middle, offers ample melee damage.

usually i’m leading in raw damage output with the odd plasma vet or psyker having an even better run.

i also admit my love for the kickback, every now and then can opener ripper or grenade gauntlet gets me through auric maelstrom just as smoothly.

as for the mobility, i never had a problem of being to slow when engaging groups of gunners or other pesky shooties, dodging/sliding almost has that silky smooth quake 3 feeling, for being “in the zone” you dance with the enemies and the flow is just right.

i also never “tank” as a dead enemy puts far less pressure on the group than “redheads” they don’t get off me anyways, or making “my problems their problems”

tried a brief middle skill tree but found it unnecessary due to oggys already big health pool and 2 skills to keep toughness up as long as you got enemies to clobber. combine that with weapon perks that do the same and ogryn is really hard to get down.

good shield combo would be heavy/push/light for example cause it resets the heavy fast while keeping enemies debuffed and angry at you as a bonus.

knife IV as well as club I has a nice heavy/light horizontal swing while the shovel v is all heavy with the occasional folded bonk.

if you’d like i got hundreds of ogryn matches recorded, happy to help if i can. :+1:

12 Likes

Ogryn 100% deserved and needed these nerfs. He was the most OP class for a while. Other than the FNP nerf which is sorta random and missed the mark (but doesn’t really ruin the skill that much either) all the things that were fixed, especially the bugfixes, were required. Stuff like double bleed charges and bleed stacking up thunderous combined with his extreme survivability were just busted OP.

BTW The shield never was and never will be “the only viable weapon”, stop regurgitating reddit memes. All weapons on Ogryn are more than viable, with the exception of the powermaul which feels terrible to use but it’s still technically ok.

I think other than FNP still not really having a point outside of kickback spamming and powermaul being a bit lame, ogryn is in a pretty good spot. I think what they should focus on now is adding some more gameplay variety to Ogryn. Give him more weapons that let him play in more different ways, and maybe add some talents that enable different playstyles. Right now he really just has “heavy attack with melee” and “magdump”. Nothing wrong with those though, it’s just the lack of variety.

11 Likes

:rofl:

6 Likes

This is cap. The left keystone just as viable as the middle one. The mk5 shovel is goated for everything and the middle keystone was stupid before coz the modifier that gives you toughness and a knockback when all stacks removed was literally impossible to proc due to the stacks only being removed on hp damage so now that is viable and worth using. Also the middle keystone was boring as it was just flat toughness damage resistance (coz it was so easy to keep 10x stacks at ALL times) so it didnt feel like a keystone where its supposed to do something unique.

Because of the toughness regen on heavy hits ogryn is almost invincible (when you stack toughness) in all melee combat with any weapon, his only weakness is ranged enemies which have been nerfed and cant stunlock you anymore so you can close distance quicker and easier allowing you to regen toughness ezpz again. Not to mention that the special attacks on certain ranged weapons (kickback) attack at the rate of light attacks but benifit from heavy attack perks (like the toughness regen on hit and the left keystone) so you can counter ranged enemies by shooting at gunners and special attack spamming little range dudes for toughness rinse and repeat.
Ogryn is great i got the gold title with him you just cant role play that your also an ogryn and play stoopid.

3 Likes

Shovel 15 is usable if you’re running a Lugger build without any melee talents.

6 Likes

Are you using light attacks with the shield?

This. Cleaver Mk IV is great for mobility and for clearing trash mobs, two things which I value highly in PUG games. Combine it with a ranged weapon to handle armour and you’ll do fine.

Still holding out that Strongest! keystone modifier will have the stacks regained increased from 1 per push at least.

3 Likes

absolutely, i just kept it out the pool for he seemed to have been struggling with fundamental issues, so my approach was getting familiar with the easier melee options.

gunlugger is a beast, but only in the hands of a proficient player that mitigates his lacking movement speed with profound positioning and knowledge where to be and when. :+1:

3 Likes

That’s the Krourk right? I love the Krourk, but unfortunately for horde clear it is still roughly equivalent to the other Ogryn melee weapons. It does not excel there, especially compared to something like a MK 5 shovel with Brutal Momentum.

3 Likes

Emphasis on the mobility and two light stabs. It, the shield and Shovel mk V are my go to weapons. Cleaver feels way better to use against shooters, gunners and shotgunners. While the shield and shovel mk V feels better against mixed melee blobs.

3 Likes

Heavy 1 into the 2 light stabs is :man_cook: :pinched_fingers: chefs kiss, perfection. One of the best moveset changes they’ve made.

Imo Shield still beats it out against elites like Gunners and Shotgunners, but it’s fun enough to use it doesn’t matter. Although mobility does help you close the distance faster, but shield lets you block their fire.

3 Likes

Yeah…don’t use shield lights, spam heavies or Heavy 1 resets. Lights are only useful for finishing off near-dead mobs here and there. When in doubt, just spam shield heavies.
~Everything in the tree is centered around heavies, even for many other weapons where you’d want to do a heavy-light loop.

P.S. If you’re doing a gunlugger with no melee talents, you’d probably want Confident Strikes on your melee weapons.

4 Likes

Main reason I use it is because it has dog insurance. I don’t feel like I need more damage that left stone offers.

3 Likes

get out of jail card is good and if the rest works for you, who am i to argue.

personally at the sounds of doggo i tend to leave one bomber standing as a fiery way out but thats just me.

as of late i enjoy a decent club I with flak/maniac thrust and haymaker, having overlooked it for the longest time and was positively surprised at how fast maulers and ragers drop.

2 Likes

Don’t worry! Poxburster will save you when dogs are around.

1 Like

indeed, that they do

Ogryn is probably the easiest and overall strongest class for least work. FnP stacked up to truly absurd DR levels the nerf isn’t a surprise. Saying shield is your only option is absolutely crazy. Being an Ogryn doesn’t mean you face tank, heaps of innate survivability and still perfectly capable of just avoiding hits altogether in a lot of scenarios like other classes.

Ogryn is just crazy I don’t think you know what you’re doing with them at all.

2 Likes

Sorry if I am repeating others but he did need the nerf, especially toughness nerf.

The reason is, that his tankyness was beyond silly, for example, he could tank the Sniper shot and not take health damage, or even tank Buster and just break half a toughness meter.

And god daum, he could literally ignore gunners, even 5 of them couldn’t break his toughness in the reasonable amount of time, he was GOD. :flushed:

And with taking all possible toughness points, you still could be top damage, because nobody else could just walk into a wall of shooting enemies. While everybody else are trying to take different route, or hide, or do any ridiculous shenanigans, you will just walk into them like a TANK.

Also, clubs ability to infinitely stun mini bosses… It’s kinda self explanatory.

And shield is one of the best and easiest weapons to use as Ogryn, big damage, big stagger, big cleave, you just have to use ONLY heavy attacks, push for emergencies

In conclusion, the neft was deserved and pretty much nobody expected him to stay as he was.
He still is pretty tanky, even with all these nerf, yet you definitely can feel the nerf but it’s not severe, and damage is the same I feel

2 Likes

the shield is one of ogryn’s best weapons both in damage potential and horde clearing lmao. stacking toughness boosters and DoT damage on melee hits will make it so youll never have your health bit into while playing through a level, of course you can still take damage but only if you actively ignore gameplay.

the ogryn needs to have his other aspects buffed a bit though ngl, like the veteran theres really only one path that shines above all the others.

1 Like

The shield isn’t even close to the mk5 shovel at either single target damage or horde clear same with a bully club