What would it take for you flip your "Not Recommended" rating?

I 100% would have dropped this game in time to get a refund if it weren’t for the 40k branding. It’s the only reason I still have any emotional investment at all.

I’m probably at around 150hr and most of that was from the beta before the honeymoon period ended and the cracks showed. Now FS is a “buyer beware” company to me unless they make some big time positive changes to their dev cycles and priorities. Tbh if I recommended this game to people I feel they would be right to no longer trust my opinion.

5 Likes

I understand that, however I do stick by my recommendation to this game for 40k fans, with the caveat that they need to know what they’re getting into. It’s a dream come true to be able to mow down a group of cultists with a bolt gun and watch them explode into gore in an fps setting (I’ve heard Boltgun is really good, but there is a difference between the 2 both in gameplay and presentation). Being able to see 40k impressively portrayed, alongside very fun combat is worth tbe price of admission, as long as you want to play most of the classes until level 30, and maybe a bit beyond.

I think I got my money’s worth out of the game, although I wish I could’ve gotten more. Just make sure people know they’re not going into a live service game (at least in any meaningful capacity), and probably tell them to wait for a sale.

1 Like

I generally agree with this, I just have too many caveats to recommend the game to another person in good conscience. If FS shipped it with an Early Access tag I’d be more forgiving, but this seems to be what they think is acceptable for a $40 game, and pretty much every aspect of it except the art direction and combat makes me go “You really think this is acceptable?”

Like I’ve barely even played the game in the last few months because connectivity and performance somehow just seems to keep getting worse. Can’t even load into the hub without fighting with error screens most of the time. Basic functionality seems to be too much to ask of DT more often than not.

2 Likes

The removal of the locks and at least 4 new classes/subclasses.
And some alcohol.

I’ve seen you mention this before in other threads, and I’m very sorry to hear that. More recently in the past couple of weeks I have had some difficulties logging into the Mourningstar. However besides that I have had almost no in match connectivity problems. I’m not saying that you haven’t, or changes don’t need to be made because it’s fine on my part, but for me personally my in match experience has improved.

However at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter as I’m probably going to shelve Darktide over the summer. So hopefully if they ever get the game into a good state, they will have fixed connectivity issues for you.

A LOT of alcohol.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve been saying that whatever they had planned for the May update would be make or break for me, and after seeing that there probably aren’t any significant changes coming any time soon to the time waster mechanics I mentioned earlier I’m out on this game for a while. Maybe it’ll get better, maybe not, but hanging on hoping for it isn’t doing me any good.

For now Boltgun is very good, even if it isn’t the 40k fps I was hoping I’d be able to sink my time into.

2 Likes

i like these 3 things… but also i need a score board.

its unacceptable not to have a scoreboard in the game.

“there are a non-zero number of complaints that scoreboards are toxic, and encourage bad play.” fatshark

essentially they have lost all sense of reality over a few trolls who imply that the only reason anyone would ever want a scoreboard is that 1) they are toxic because scoreboards are evil in nature or 2) they are stupid because scoreboards tell you nothing.

1 Like

But why reward Fatshark especially it isn’t even an official scoreboard?

4 Likes

yes… but played this game 1 195 hours on steam and something like 50 hours on gamepass. This is the game I’ve played the most on my steam library. If I don’t recommend this game, I should never recommend one.

I like the 40k universe, but I am not a fan. Off course I played warhammer rpg, have paint miniatures but never played warhammer battle and never chased for games that would take place in this universe.
For me, DT is fun combats at first. And that’s why I have to recommend it.

This precisely summarizes why the hours per money calculation doesn’t always work. I was sold a bill of goods and expected to recieve it. In exchange fatshark would get more money from me over time. They never delievered so they never got more money.

I played Signalis for like 16 hours and paid $20. I recommend Signalis. I do not recomend Darktide. Because what i wanted and what i was sold were the same but not what i recieved. If fatshark had delivered properly they could have recieved several hundreds of dollars from me. Maybe thousands, given several years. Instead they get my $40. Its sad for us both.

6 Likes

I copy this sentiment, however even with this I still feel like I got my money’s worth. I’m not talking about hours specifically, although that is part of it, but just also what I got out of the game being a gory “realistic” graphics wise 40k fps. And thats why I still think it would be worth it for 40k fans to pick up on sale. Again they should know what they’re signing up for, but there is still value there. Maybe that value will be completely removed if Space Marine 2 is a really good game, but for the time being it still has a niche.

Also I definitely would be willing to spend money on cosmetics if I was happy with the game. Not to the extent of other people as in general I don’t usually get cosmetic stuff, but just something to support development and hopefully keep future classes free.

1 Like

they said darktide had a rich story, it doesn’t.

they said they wanted us to be able to craft things a lot, we can’t.

they said scoreboards are toxic, they aren’t.

2 Likes

This list is what it’d take for my review to change from negative to positive.

1. Remove the locks for perks and blessings.
2. Add new classes, one for each archetype.
3. Add new weapons.
4. Fix the poor performance/bugs.
5. Add in a scoreboard.

Those would be my top 5 things for them to work on and add, until then my review will stay negative.

5 Likes

It kinda cracks me up that mission modifiers are sort of like deeds but arguably even worse implemented somehow. How does this happen.

6 Likes

By copying elements from other games without understanding how and why it works for them, or ignoring the other games and their mistakes.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Not Recommended rating and I am sorry, but I want to say something that may get my hopes up for the future of the game.

#1 I would really love if Fatshark would actually listen to our feedback, and not just that, but try to implement this to the game. At the moment I think they are thinking that we just don’t know what we want and continue doing what they think we want.

#2 I want Fatshark to communicate more, so we feel like being listened to, I would love the spam of answers to the community’s question in the news section of Darktide, or at least here, at their own forum.

#3 I want Fatshark to implement well recieved mods to the game quicker.
As it is, they are doing that so damn slow that it becomes surprising and wierd when we actually get it to be implemented.

After all, I think that communication is the key to success, because if you gather enough of understanding of your community you could actually make rather good decisions and make people feel listened, and the result the community will like you more and the game will be more liked.

But, I know that Fatshark will not change, they just will not, they will just keep doing their stuff hoping that what they want will align our wants

1 Like

I am in the reverse situation.

I already have a positive review since beta (mostly because of the play time), but will turn it into a negative if the design remains so strictly anti-consumer after this patch.
It doesn’t make sense for me to recommend this to anyone if devs are doubling down on this Las Vegas design.
Just waiting for the patch notes.

3 Likes

And, if it is your feeling, you’re right to do it.
I personally think that they really need to make crafting easier, we should be able to craft more weapons to make the RNG part of the game less annoying… not for me, but for casual players or players that don’t want to spend all their time in the game.
Also, if we consider that one mission (on damnation) is at least 30 minutes and that you get 750 plasteels, it means you have to “work” 3 missions to be able to craft a weapon, this means 1h30.
When I compare with other games, 30 minutes is really long… my wife and my son remind this to me all times I play the game…
The crafting is too restrictive especially when you consider the locks.

That’s why I think they need to allow players to craft more weapons in the same playing time.

What do you mean here?

1 Like

I mean, for me, review is aimed at other people who are wondering if they should buy this game or not, so, a positive review is a recommendation, and I cannot recommend a game that not only has so much RNG stuffed in the system, but doesn’t have any real progression at all, just gambling.
(Here is where I explain why I think we don’t really have any progression system in the game)

4 Likes

I gave the game a positive recommendation way back during the pre-launch beta and haven’t changed it.

I believed then (and still believe now) that the core game is fun. I like that I can hop on for 15 minutes or two hours as time permits, crank out some missions whilst handing out the Emperor’s hot diquings to unsuspecting heretics.

There have been small improvements to address some of the worst aspects of the game (i.e., brunt’s armoury helps with some of this, you’ll likely end up with vin ordinaire instead of Cristal, but you can still try the new hotness when a weapon comes out instead of waiting for the RNG bus to stop on your corner).

Is it perfect? NO! Far from it…

• I don’t like the implementation of premium cosmetics*.
  • No one likes the RNG or the crafting system (#BreakTheLocks :unlock: :hammer:)
  • I want to see the new classes we were promised.

None of this is enough to put me off the game altogether or keep me from recommending the game to someone sitting on the fence.

2 Likes