Trauma Staff requires all new blessings

Run n Gun - works only on the worthless primary attack

Sustained fire - works only on the worthless primary attack

Surge - works only on the worthless primary attack

Transfer Peril - works only on the worthless primary attack

Terrifying Barrage - Trauma has enough stagger. Blessing does nothing.

Rending Shockwave - Has zero effect on the staff. The team value is incredibly questionable.

Blazing Spirit - Triggering on crit makes it worthless, as does the 3 lousy stacks of soulblaze. (And no, running with Warp Nexus does not make it viable.)

Warp Nexus - The staff has roughly +50 dmg on a crit. Blessing is worthless. (Even if it wasn’t broken. Which it is.)

Focused Channeling - Uh… ok. Not quite the equivalent of +50% weakspot damage, now is it?

Warp Flurry - Uh… sure. I mean… it’s better than the other blessings, since the other blessings DO NOTHING

3 Likes

Warp flurry is straight great even without needing to compare, and Rending is fine enough for Crusher utility.

Yeah the rest definitely do be sucking though. Blazing spirit is an excellent concept I suggest an activation change. At half charge your secondary fire applies 1 soul blaze stacks to everything hit. At full charge it applies 2 stacks. This would let you comfortably tag a lot of things with blaze and feed that into getting ascendant blaze stacks, but avoids giving the trauma masses of free DPS. Honestly even if it just applied one stack and only as full charge it’d still be way way better than what we have.

Run n Gun should let you move at full sprint speed while charging. That’d be neat and I’d at least consider it.

Warp nexus just needs its peril thresholds fixed, it’s probably never gonna be terribly relevant to Trauma but whatever that’s not a big deal.

No ideas particularly for the others.

You really wouldn’t want to run AB ult with trauma anyway. Trauma requires 6 warp charges of damage and peril resist, so you can only rely on 4% and self BBs to regain warp charges. Using the staff at anything less than 6 charges worth of peril resist is incredibly painful, and the utility of keeping charges and instead having quick BB far outweighs any benefit of running AB. You’re going to be killing anything that isn’t an elite or a special in a single fully charged blast, so the soulblaze would only be useful for stacking damage on elites and specials.

I suppose one could do semi charges on trash and pray that the soulblaze would kill a couple of them to give you a tiny chance of getting warp charges, but that seems like it wouldn’t be optimal at all - especially considering burning enemies are more than happy to keep running right at you or your friends and hit them.

In general any of the blessings that attempt to give soulblaze to non-soublaze weapons seem to have been designed in a vacuum by someone who has never fired up the game even once. They would only ever be useful in extreme fringe situations.

As for rending, I have never once seen it be useful. At all. Maybe in a premade with voice? In general the people who target a Crusher tend to have weapons that can do damage to a Crusher. I’ve never, ever noticed rending a target make any meaningful difference whatsoever in the time it takes the team to kill one.

You know that if a Psyker (any Psyker on the team for that matter) kills an enemy by any means while they’re afflicted by soul blaze it has the 10% chance to generate a charge yeah? The dot doesn’t have to actually kill them, so yeah in theory running AB with blazing spirit should actually increase your warp charge generation by quite a lot.

Haven’t people already discovered that this doesn’t work in practice? On Voidstrike for instance, the staff blast itself will always kill the enemy, giving you nothing despite the blast activating soulblaze on the enemies you killed. The same problem would be true of Trauma - because Trauma kills all basic enemies in a full charge on damnation, at least with 6 charges and unarmored perk. I suppose if soulblaze activated on the staggered enemies outside the blast, then… maybe.

In any case with the current mechanic of activating on crit, it will never be wortwhile. Almost regardless of how many stacks of SB it gives.

Yes you’re correct about it not working if the initial attack kills the enemy, but to my understanding soul blaze gets applied all the way to the massive outer radius of trauma, meaning after the first cast on a dense horde you would start rapidly building warp charges from it.

Yes agreed, my main point was about the trigger condition being garbage. It might be somewhat workable if nexus gets its peril thresholds fixed but even then crit it just a garbage trigger condition.

Especially since you’d basically be running a second blessing just to activate the soulblaze blessing - since crit by itself isn’t meaningful at all for Trauma. They could so easily ‘fix’ both rending and warp nexus for Trauma by just adjusting the base damage of Trauma up, but have it do % damage against carapace etc, and increasing the crit modifier.

But yeah, I don’t know. Just like it seems they really didn’t know what they were going for in the design of Psyker, they seem to have had no idea what to do with blessings for the staves. Aside from making sure none of the blessings were impactful whatsoever.

Feel like this is just a symptom of a much larger problem, of blessings just in general being poorly thought out, both in which weapons have which blessings and how those blessings actually function.

1 Like

In all the “Blessings are XXX, or not, or maybe” topics there is a common factor.

No one even seems to know what these things do, or are supposed to do, or if they do, when they do.

Do they do the things they’re advertised? Maybe, sometimes

What is advertised? Rending against bleeding carpace burster DMG resistance stamina +11%(is that a lot?)… what?, I understand the words surely, but I have no idea how that translates to the game.

Maybe the design intent is to makes things so obscure and hardcore that we never can have the actually fun, constructive gameplay discussion, since that is not wished by the games authors.

As an example, how I would GUESS discussions about balance would go is:
Alpha Hit Damage vs DPS, Cleave and Hit Force vs. Mobility, weapon hit patterns utilicing both of those, etc. That’d be fun and interesting.

Also, that the people on forums can have an informed discussion on detailed gameplay mechanics STILL does not a good system make, it should be understood at basic level by all customers.

1 Like

Blessings in general on many weapons are in dire need of attention. It seems like nothing was tested/verified to be working correctly by the devs prior to release. Maybe thats why they made crafting so ass, so we couldn’t discover all the blessings weren’t working until a bazillion hours in and maybe they thought they could fix them before we got to them.

1 Like

I think all the staves need their blessings looked at. It just reeks of rushed or shoddy design that they all have the same set of blessings despite all of them functioning very differently in ways that make the blessings either useless or in a few cases detrimental for the staff’s primary use, and that’s not referring to the lacklustre primary fire 3 of the staves have.

Not to mention how they shoehorned in a DoT mechanic that feels thematically against what a psykinetic/telekine/telekinetic is, but that one is a little off-topic.

2 Likes