Trap me not! - The issue regarding Scab Trapper nets

Setting aside the odd hit reg of the Scab Trapper’s net, it ignores any and all physics that the game sets up in the first place.

Other heretic weapons damage one another. A Scab Sniper can kill their friendlies by crossfire. A Scab/Dreg Gunner or Reaper advise their friendlies to get out of the way because they can cause damage to them. That makes enough sense.

What doesn’t is the fact that the Scab Trapper’s net will ignore any and all masses of friendlies in front of them. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t even attack more than one bulwark or crusher at a time because of the additional threat of trappers not making any sound when they spawn in or approach you. The only time you’ll know you’re being netted is the sound queue, if you even get that.

Yes, yes, I know there’s mods out there that allow you to see when an enemy spawns, or Spidey Sense, that give you a rough visual cue to the location of the trapper. But a player should not have to download mods in order to keep track of a single enemy that shoots through the walls of flesh and armor and has an equally buggy hitbox.

Give Scab Trapper’s net a set cleave amount.

It can only hit so many heretics before it snags and traps the wrong target. I reckon it would also decrease the amount of rage quitters too. I am guilty of leaving when I’m trapped by a trapper because of the sheer absurdity that a trapper can run through allies, shoot through allies, and can be lucky and get a reject or arbitrator.

This topic has been brought up time and time again, and continues to be the reason (among a few) that despite my hours in the game, it sits at a negative review for me.

But unfortunately, many on this forum are going to yet again dog pile this thread and go ‘BuT thAt WoUlD InVaLiDaTe THeM aS a ThReaTtTtT!’ , and it’s like, no? and in the case it does, good?

Games not following their own logic is and will forever be the most annoying thing and cause the most hatred and vitriol forever more. The most BS thing in from soft games continues to be the fact that your attacks can bounce off walls and surfaces, but enemy attacks can not/will pass straight through because BS. Makes literal unwinnable situations occur where you can’t attack but the enemy can, and it’s obscene and horrendous and never feels ‘justified’ in taking the life of the player. I don’t feel like I had something to learn, I feel like the game just cheated me and that it doesn’t actually want me to play it. I feel half the reason Nightreign is so hecken fun is because it’s built off being full of wide open spaces, and even in the castle all/nearly all fights are out in the open, meaning you never encounter this jank BS and suddenly there’s no friction between what the player expects and what the game’s putting in front of them. It’s glorious, and I’ve been wanting that in DT since forever in regards to trappers.

Half the annoyance/BS of them is their ability to ‘skip the horde’ unlike any other unit, and more over do so without disrupting the horde. Not only is it a guaranteed death sentence (or at least used to be, with Arbite you can just let your dog kill/CC everything and wait for your team to get you up, but it used to be a threat at least xD), but it doesn’t even have the decency of shoving everything over like a dog when it passes through everything. You just get pulled down in front of all the Bulwarks/Crushers, they are already half way through the charge up swing animation by the time you reach the floor, and you’re dead a half second later.

It’s not good, and as you eloquently wrote out, ‘functions needlessly differently than literally every single other enemy in the game’. Every single other enemy has hit registration and physics, why does the trapper get to ignore it? What makes them so special, especially being a unit that takes control away from the player, something you NEVER should be doing in any video game baring death if you can help it, but now is being given special treatment? It’s horse, always has been, and you’re right, you shouldn’t have to download a mod to fix it. But you sadly do, at least until this routine bi monthly trapper complaining is finally addressed.

Do you know how many posts have complained about this since launch?

Sorry, I’m not buying this being an excuse for being caught in a net anymore.


Position better, stay with team, the trapper can only grab one of you at a time.

I hope fatsharks next event replaces all specials with trappers so players can get better at defending against them. Trial by fire!

I will admit the trappers biggest advantage is being behind multiple crushers/bulwarks and shooting through them, but we all know this to be the case.

Yes, because I can’t justify any enemies being less threatening right now… while admitting this bich shot me through walls last night.

FIFY, stop spreading more misinformation, and you’re criminally exaggerating any issues to suit your narrative.

I use Spidey Sense every so often. It is accurate.

“Not buying this an excuse for being caught in a net anymore”
So because of a bug that FatShark themselves have understood and acknowledged and the game cannot render in so many unique sounds, it invalidates my complaint about the stupidity that is the trapper net and sound cues that are missing? What a narrow minded ideology.

Proposal:

  1. Update the net to have collision with enemies.

  2. Add an alternate fire that is a lob shot. So it can shoot over the bulwarks and crushers but not through them. Because it just lands in a spot i.e. where you’re standing, it can be dodged in any direction. Could also be tweaked such that it doesn’t pull you toward the trapper at all, making rescue perhaps easier and/or it just prevents movement and attacking but you can still block until a teammate rescues you.

The only problem I have with trappers is when the audio cues don’t work.

But that’s a bug with the game and not a design flaw. Trappers when their audio cues work are fine their presence is very well telegraphed and you can pretty much evade them purely off the sound cues.

sure the logistics of magic net goes through enemies is annoying but, literally if they needed a clear line of fire they’d be a complete non threat that gets beamed by the multitude of overturned weapons the warband have access to.

The “clear line of fire” thing makes sense on a surface level but the reality is that the enemy density of Darktide is so insane that they’ll never get that opportunity and be completely neutered. A lone trapper without adds is easily dealt with - you might as well just remove it from the game at this point.

I never said it invalidated anything. I just think missing a sound cue isnt a good excuse if you get caught by a net. Players can still look around and see stuff coming.

If you were in my lobby Id be picking you up before you hit the ground, thats how easy overcoming trappers are. I dont expect teamates to do the same.

You highlight a key issue with these types of posts, situational awareness (SA) and lack thereof. If I were a betting man I’d wager most of the “bugs” and other issues are just people lacking SA and not keeping their head on a swivel, often very narrow tunnel visioning in the process.

I’m not saying it’s the case here, but I’ve witnessed it countless times in pugs, often accompanied with a healthy dose of grumbling and blaming the game for the player’s f-ups. Hel, there are a few times I said to my buddy in Disco “watch, he’s about to get netted/pounced/flanked” because player X wasn’t paying attention to their surroundings.

P.S. I’ll repeat myself here, getting netted around corners, especially on ogryn toe sucks Nurgle bollox.

I really enjoy having to maneuver around/kill/stagger disablers in the middle of a bad situation. I dont think the net cleaving through enemies IF the trapper made appropriate sound cues is bad.

however i do agree that it clipping through walls and ignoring elevation is a bit much

I’ll have to disagree on this one chief. Trappers are easily killed in 1-2 shots by any weapon and can be easily staggered. If you’re getting cornered consistently by bulwarks and crushers or the horde, then that is mostly on you. Be glad they aren’t the early access trappers where they stagger immune.

Trappers need to shoot through enemies or they won’t work, but I also think the Packmaster was in V2 was a better designed mob, BUT I also haven’t played V2 for very long. If audio actually worked they wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I remember when I first started and I thought Trappers were turbo OP nonsense and made me want to quit, but they’re a necessity to the game in my eyes. As long as you always keep an open pocket in an engagement to have room to dodge they have counterplay… Until their audio breaks of course.

I have never seen anyone defend rank decay, can you show me an example? I’d be genuinely shocked to see it.

Noooooooo people disagreed with me therefore they’re all shills and simps.

by the Emperor get over yourself.

All these words to cope when FS will never fix it.

God forbid I want a game to be difficult. Also god forbid I want Havoc to be the proper skill-gated community it is (one that I don’t partake in because I don’t think it’s fun). You realize that it’s just as valid of an opinion to claim that balance-wise something is fine, right? I play this game a lot, and nearly every time I’ve been trappered it felt like it was my own fault - this tells me that it’s fine.

This I 100% agree with. The game is too intense as is and relies too much on enemy numbers rather than individual enemy difficulty. A group of Chaos Warriors is a real problem, a group of Crushers is just par for the course, and scaling enemy number is hard to do without making it a nightmare performance and balance wise.

From my point of view there are a lot of dedicated developers at FS but something or other is preventing them from working on the game properly. Every new game they work on is gonna be a stick-in-the-mud slot machine until the guys in charge of the gambling get fired, blammed or relent to the community.