Trail of Treachery end section playstyle (Whats Meta?)

I wanted to ask the community how they approach the last fight during the mission, to see if there is a preferred way to play it. I typically play on legend but my friend and I wanted to take a crack at cata in the future.

I’ve seen some players go through the tunnel and open the hidden staircase, others stand at that gate and hold the door. The most success I’ve had is when the whole team kites with the torch to each location, clears boss, then continues to torch locations.

How do you approach the end section with a group?

1 Like

Honestly I run round and light the underground torches first, and do that dark bit first.
then its simply staying together tbh. Splitting up is usually were it goes wrong. A good BW can save lots of time with purple pots double ULTing around to speed things up.

2 Likes

Thanks! I do like the ramp up on challenge for the new mission. The berserkers covered in snow always seem to be what gets people. I’m hoping part 2 will have a few challenging sections like this.

Me and my mate? We just die lmao.

Seriously though, there seems to be a problem of facespawning everything, so I’m listening in here too.

1 Like

I quite like this finale on Cata, though it has been nerfed a little. Best strat seems to be to go through the dark and open the crypt, then fight in front of it. That gives you the ammo box, which - depending on team comp - is a gamechanger. That locations also somewhat gives you a safe spot behind you regarding enemy spawns. In case of an “oh crap” you can duck into the crypt, but if you do that the enemies will start coming from behind you in the crypt as well, so it has a risk of becoming a trap.

In any case: The spawns are a somewhat constant flow of marauders and specials, with (relatively nasty) waves appearing at the start of the event and after lighting a torch. Easiest approach in my experience is to start the event, run for the crypt spot, and just kill untill the initial wave is reduced to a constant relative “trickle” of marauders. Then you go for the torch and toss it in a brazier. Immediately rush back to the crypt, and kill untill the enemies are a trickle again. First wave after a torch (doesn’t matter which brazier) contains a monster. After that you do the torch again, go back to the spot, and repeat untill it’s a trickle again. After the last torch, however, you go to the center with your whole team and just hold out / survive until Oleysa nukes everything.

This general strategy has gotten me a quite good succes percentage, at least. When it fails, it’s usually because of fighting in a bad spit, getting seperated, or going for the torch too quickly causing too many mobs to spawn.

EDIT: Just to make sure for those who don’t know yet: You can open the crypt before starting the event. Just run around the center. No enemies will spawn.

3 Likes

The method i found to be the most comfy and easy-to-manage for most random groups is to light the beacons on the way to unlock extra healing before even entering the graveyard.

Then go down the crypt and unlock it, everyone should fill out their bags with supplies, then the team can go to start it all. Finally the two ways i found from here was thus :

• Have everyone camp just outside the crypt exit and kill everything until it gets safe, start on torches after the monster goes down. This spot is decently good in the sense that you can escape into the crypt or possibly to either side to kite away if needed. Though beware that a few enemies spawn on the sides of the crypt exit which is just about behind you.

• Have someone confident, or just very mobile, split from the team and do torch on their own. High risk - high reward.

Usually teams i´ve been with tended to follow the first option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! This helps clear the fight up.

Right, I was worried about opening that door because a few times the CS would come from the crypt and totally a** blast our team defending the door. I was thinking of keeping that shut unless a clutch/last man need to kite everything around but opening it, for ammo, has more value for sure.

Where inside the crypt can you stand without having enemies funnel behind?

Also does lighting the fires in the crypt have any significance? like increase elites or anything silly (was the sound bugged with bonfire?)

**Side note: I would like the snow to fall off the enemies you have hit/burned. (which is my current excuse for dying LOL. The snow doesnt melt !)

I have never experienced enemies coming through the crypt as long as everybody was outside. I even suspect the AI being bugged and always thinking the crypt door is closed, as I remember one time when enemies actually turned around as I backed into the crypt. (Maybe they just aggro’d on another player though, I can’t remember the details.) So as long as nobody is in the crypt, enemies won’t come through it because they “think” there’s a closed grate door in the way. But as soon as somebody steps in, enemies will come through the crypt because they now realize they can reach someone because they are “behind” the grate suddenly. And I haven’t tested, but maybe enemies won’t come through the front if everybody is in the crypt because they “think” a grate is in the way and they need to go around through the crypt.

I’m also 99.9% sure that lighting the fires in the dark tunnel does nothing other than making light.

2 Likes

What I’d really like to know is what settings should I tank to get a bit more than 5 FPS during that snowy horde. I literally have to look away from the crowd of bad guys chasing me in order to have a chance at navigating the map :sweat_smile:

Gotten one clear on cata so far, my strat is to immediately unlock the crypt, talk to olysia, back up to the crypt and hold out in front of it until the main wave is done, light the brazier furthest from the door, hold out at the gate that you entered from so that you’re right next to the respawn point for anyone that didn’t make it, and after that I light both braziers and hold out till the end. I do this solo so that there’s no miscommunication and with IB, UC, and SoTT bots there’s enough support to keep me in the fight