Tokens and mysterious stuff!

I just explained that bro. I even got a confirmation in another topic bemoaning low rolls of blessings on upgrades, that makes creating weapons even more of a lottery + it costs you crafting mats. It is designed to ‘reward’ you low blessings on your strong average BST weapons so you can grind more to improve or replace those blessings. But without the ability to do that, you’re stuck with suboptimal weapons.

Melk charges an otherwise useless currency for items that are actually guaranteed to have strong blessings. This makes them miles above what you upgrade because they are generally 2 T3 minimum and regularly have T4s. Only Emperor gifts share this distinction.

If there was a complete crafting system I might agree with you, but as is your only hopes for weapons are slightly higher rolls but bad blessings, or insignificantly worse to identical at best rolls and much better blessings at Melk, and obviously Emperor’s Gift. You can also just straight convert that game grinding into a weapon instead of it evaporating into crafting mats. I also think its an advantage to not have to hound him as routinely as the armory, imo. But if Store Refeshing is a function in both shops, Melks will completely supercede the Armory unless crafting is finished. And reblessing uses dockets.

None of that changes the fact that the chance that he has an item worth buying is so incredibly low that you could check every day for the next decade and never find what you’re looking for.

It’s a numbers game. If you find a 380 base rating gray or green item with almost perfect stats in the regular store you have already reduced the amount of RNG involved by two significant factors. Yes, the item can still come out with bad perks and blessings, but it’s literally over a thousand times more likely that the item will end up being good than that a fully formed perfect item will roll in the requisitorium.

It would simply be stupid to ignore that item just because it could roll badly during upgrades. Your chance that it ends up good is orders of magnitude higher than simply waiting for Melk to offer you a unicorn weapon.

“If it was really RNG I would be guaranteed to get something I like”

huh?

If it was a system intended for player satisfaction even when using RNG to spice things up, there would be mechanics or safeguards built in to mitigate the frustration of never getting what you want.

Things like

• Crafting or requesting the weapon type you want
  • A little bit of code that stops you from rolling the exact same perk/property/trait multiple times
  • Bad luck protection/pity system that guarantees a certain result after a set amount of attempts/time
  • Contracts for items you can lock in that you can work towards
  • Doing certain missions/zones/objectives improve the chance of getting certain items

Darktide has none of that, it’s multiple layers of pure, unmitigated RNG and to add insult to injury all methods of gaining items are time locked beyond normal gameplay. And to crown it all, other Fatshark games have some of the above, but in Darktide, it looks to me that they deliberately chose to regress completely at the cost of player experience to forcibly maximise rentention.

1 Like

“Almost”!
Perks like 9th bullet do 10% extra damage or first attack do +10 and others -10…that’s ridiculous and should not even be here.
I tried critical chance on a Zarona, that doesn’t change anything from another Zarona without this perk.

Yes. Absolutely not the same, so what?

Starting out with a 380 base weapon doesn’t matter even if you get to upgrade for the first perk and blessing. They are almost always power limited, and end up with like 70 score from blessings. The devs kinda confirmed they tweaked the lottery for the exact. same. way. when asked about T4s in general. There’s also that whole interview about the crafting system and combining blessings to improve their rating, and the possibility of going above T4. Why would they do that if you could craft them? Galaxy brain move throwing crafting materials into the unfinished system. I can point to countless examples. Meanwhile Melk can just have a good gun, no BS, no illusion of ‘oh this would be a good X to upgrade’ only for the usual RNG to unfold as it does. Take it or leave it. It is so much better than you’re giving it credit for, just like the daily refresh. Which is enough for me to have gotten 6 curios and around 5 weapons since launch and I missed a few days and was gone for a week and change Christmas. Subtract like 3 weeks until I was max every class and actually looking too. It is no where near ‘unicorn’ dude.

Well, enjoy your 380 weapons with two tier 4 perks and blessings that Melk offers you all the time. You must be swimming in them since you don’t live in reality.

The rest of us will just have to take high base ratings when we can get them, roll the dice on upgrades, and hold things that don’t come out perfect in reserve for the day when the devs will let us fix them.

Better to lose a few crafting materials than to lose an opportunity to get a perfect weapon that is much rarer and harder to come by.

1 Like

Yes that is exactly what I’ve been saying, get bitter about it if you want but without the other 2 crafting element systems you will not get access to a weapon with blessings that high to dork around with. Or pull later to reapply. The same abysmal odds for blessings on shop-acquired weapons applies as you upgrade them. The devs designed it to make you grind to build your weapon. There would be no point in increasing the power of blessings (and possibly going beyond the current max) if they were unceremoniously tossed about like candy upgrading or in the shop. They’re not. T3 on a blue is somewhere around 2% odds and T4 I have seen maybe twice total.

And Melk money is useless and can only be spent there, instead of continually dumping crafting materials and making redundant weapons. It also gives you access to stronger blessings for this dumb crafting system eventuality.

I don’t know where you plan to pull an Energy Cycler or Surge blessing from because they can only be T4. But keep dumping on the game because you hate it or something. I’m just pointing out that in a game where you’re continually checking lottery tickets the 1 vendor sitting there with an otherwise useless currency and much longer refresh window is actually worth a check. Maybe to spend that otherwise pointless Melk money just on something you wish you could put on a stronger weapon. And definitely for curios because the near 60% odds of ruining those is easily worth the 10 overall power you might not get. Having 150+ toughness > 10 power.

You can argue all you want, it does not change the fact that you can’t buy amazing items from Melk if he simply doesn’t have any.

Does this somehow not apply to the armory? With the additional RNG of it being power limited to make way for the rest of the crafting system? You seem to agree that there is ridiculous RNG involved in item acquisition, but deny the possibility of another stock of items using the same RNG possibly being good. Makes no sense. Next you’ll be telling me its impossible to acquire an Emperor Drop out of the blue. Its all the same lottery system…

The item quality (rare, epic, legendary) has no relation with their efficiency. I received many legendaries from the Emperor and all, really all are crap…the best one is something like 338 in stats gs (if I remember correctly).

You seem to melt almost everything under the rng banner and, yes, a real rng system should give some good stuff and that’s absolutely not the case with mysterious part. In all probability, with 30+ weapons bought I should, at least, have some good ones.

And, when you have the chance to find or buy a good one, it’s either a good weapon in stats or in perks but never both.

1 Like

The thing is, there is no additional RNG in the armory. If every aspect of a weapon is randomized the only difference between an armory item and a requisitorium item is how many steps of the random generation are known to you before you buy the item.

Of course if you find a legendary item that has rolled well every single step of the way that’s the best possible outcome. But a legendary item can also be ruined on the steps that are already known on a green or even gray item, and those are the most random steps, and the ones that the crafting system allows the least amount of mitigation for.

That’s why you’re actually more likely to wind up with a good item when you start with something where you already know that the base roll is high than you are to ever see a perfect item pop up fully formed. Yes, there is an added cost to it, but if you’re considering the odds and not the raw resource cost it’s a much, much better chance.