The Masterwork Pistol does way too much damage

I get where you’re coming from, but I think with the right changes it could be a stylish, fast and mobile versatile ranged weapon in the style of BoP but for Bardin, leaning more towards elite and monster damage instead of raw special killing, while being decent at special killing and being a not-quite reactionary but quick weapon.

I’d like it to be closer to a BoP/Handgun hybrid than a short range Handgun.

1 Like

I agree that the engineer weapons are incredibly good but the engineer career itself is a glass cannon.

Engineers love explosions, right?

So, what if we slightly increase the accuracy to the pistol, decrease the damage output but add an explosive effect to the bullets to compensate for the reduction of damage?

This, of course, would then cause another problem. It would most likely have to be an engineer exclusive weapon.

Next topic: if his new weapons do get nerfed, how would you want to tweak the engineer career itself to compensate for the weapon nerfs?

Thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks for explaining of the number style.I get that you both want a balance,right?Appropriate changes will indeed make the new pistol easier to use in various environments.That’s difficult.

1 Like

I think an explosive ammo talent would be absolutely amazing.

Engineer is, imho, in a very good place, balance wise. His active ability is strong, but certainly no “instant win button”, you can’t just whip out your gattling gun and fire away in any situation.
He allows for interesting playstyles and has a very strong kit, and imho, the highest utility and versatility talent-wise. Masterwork pistol is strong up close, but over distance, handgun is still better and works absolutely brilliant on engineer with a melee build, scavanged shot, and a melee weapon that has sweaps on charged attack like 2h hammer and piston power. Put “full head of steam” into the mix, and it allows you to hit important break points, both with melee and the crank gun. Put in “Gromril-plated shot”, and you can one shot stormvermin with the crankgun an the power bonus. Put in Linked Compression Chamber and get the maximum out of your 10 seconds of power bonus. Put in “Innovative Ammo Hoppers” and benefit from the bigger ability bar to basically always have +15% power going for your melee.

It’s really nice how many viable options you have.

1 Like

I’ve tested the Engi Pistol.

So:
1. Damage: VS Armor its the same as Rifle; VS Infantry Rifle actually better BUT it would not matter most of the time; VS super armor Pistol’s LMB sucks, RMB is OK but wastes the ammo. Damage fall off: Pistol goes to 40% damage rather fast, but it has RIFLE damage so you won’t feel it much.
2. Utility we all know that both LMB and RMB are wonky as krut.

I really don’t think it should be nerfed. It covers an area of high damage “mid range weapon” that rather bad both in point blank and long distance but really good in mid range.

why is it bad at point blank exactly? that’s the total reverse of my experience with it

also even at long range you’re still looking at a maximum of 2 shots to kill which really isn’t that bad

1 Like

Is this with Engineer? Or did you test with Ranger Veteran as well?

Because why would you use ranged with delay on shot in melee? Unlike any other randed weapon you literally can’t swap-shoot-swap with it.

Why would you when you’ll be more reliable and faster with handgun. Or crossbow in case of RV.

Yes. And RV is a weird case. He wont benefit much from reload speed AND Firing Fury will consume the stack on shot. But you’ll be better monster hunter (which RV lacks).

3 Likes

I found right clicking worked just fine

2 Likes

Just stuck my head round the door to say Coghammer is stupidly good on all classes. RV built for speed is manic good fun. Slayer is also ridiculous.

4 Likes

Ok. Lets deal with weapon snapshooting. Engineer’s Pistol (EP) edition.

LMB snapshooting basically do not work.

1. It takes 2 seconds to shoot (instead of 0 for anything else).
  2. It still bad for long ranged shots.
  3. Other things do no matter at this point.

RMB snapshooting kinda “exists”.

1. Your initial animation is shorter (~1 second, not 0 though)
  2. You basically limited to point blank distances.
  3. You dish out huge amount of damage if you go “high noon”. But then you need to reload.
  4. Also you need to actually train to do do proper “high noon” with EP. It has UNIQUE “blunder” feature: LMB preoritized over RMB. So IF you press LMB+RMB together, startup will be >2 seconds. So you need to do: LMB(melee), Q, RMB(hold)~slight delay~LMB, Q and do it efficiently.

So EP is kinda suck for snapshooting either way. But you can go “High noon” once if you caught off guard.

2 Likes

you don’t have to shoot all 6 bullets m8

1 Like

This is irrelevant. Amount of bullets you shoot is not even a point.
My point was: It still has startup animation, still crippled in range and accuracy (you can HS snapshoot a Chaos Knight with rifle, but not with EP). Only thing you gain as POSSIBLE benefit, is going “high noon” and shooting several times (reload that I mentioned is only because EP reloads slower than most weapons and you will be in more trouble m8).

2 Likes

that point only matters if you’re shooting all 6 bullets though

1 Like

Then why you just not cherry-pick every point I’ve made?
Can’t snipe with it? Use it for melee.
Low accuracy? Rely on damage.
Startup time? 1 second is ok.
Can actually fail and get 3 seconds startup? Don’t mess up.
Can’t reload during a dash? Just snapshoot 1 bullet each time and pray that you would never need to reload.

“Snapshooting with EP is just fine”

See? Its easy to ignore things.

1 Like

You could start making valid points and not flip Enhanced Power (EP) with the Masterwork Pistol (MP). That makes everyone guess what you are even talking about and if we talk about the same thing.

How is one hitting Cata SVs in rapid succession fine if its also allowed to snipe far away targets?
Look at the GrudgeRaker. Kills Maulers, Trash and Zerkers with ease, but has a horrible time against armored targets and far away stuff. It also deals crap all monster damage.
Thats balanced.

6 Likes

You can literally just hit crouch button to reach similar accuracy as repeater handgun while still doing nearly double the damage? I’m honestly bit baffled this is even talked about.

5 Likes

Repeater Handgun is considered a really good range weapon. Onehitting Eshing, two hitting every other specials but Hooks and dealing fine against SVs. You need three properties to make this happen.

The Pistol breakpoints are just ridiculous.

4 Likes

I mean, personally I think it’s more fun when there’s enemies to kill and they don’t all die in one shot. Hyperbole of course, but nowadays it can feel like Legend in Cataclysm where ranged careers clear most enemies before someone like GK can actually get a swing in.

8 Likes

It also feels like that for the other melee careers when GK does get a swing in and then 1 shots the elite. Exec is crazy. I agree though. I think it’s bad that for a ranged weapon to be considered ‘good’ it has to reach 1 shot breakpoints or destroy hordes. Why can’t a ranged weapon be good for weakening enemies outside of melee range to make them easier to kill in melee?

6 Likes