Suppression Not Working Correctly In Some (All?) Cases, Such as Dregs w/ Video Evidence

Dreg Stalkers are close range assault units. They aren’t meant to be easily suppressed at close range. They are easily suppressable at a mid-range when you would be facing them in a firefight.

Sorry for being rude but can you please remind those devs that we have giant Ogryn-Reaper who gets properly supressed and covers himself with his carapace shoulderguard for 2-3 seconds.

Dreg can literaly stand still while you spraying burning napalm right into his direction and shoot back like its nothing. I dont think it should be considered intentional especially if you realize they can destroy all your toughness simply in one volley.

There’s no point in utilizing logic around this place. The CM’s aren’t here to actually create a discourse between ourselves and the development team. It’s damage control, pure and simple. If this isn’t the case, I welcome evidence to prove me wrong.

1 Like

So, FatsharkQuickpaw states Suppression is working as intended.
I know the video is showing this weird ‘flinching’ and inconsistency in suppression of enemies and I’ve been banging my head against a wall on the suppression topic for a little while now myself.

So, instead of holding on to ‘its broken and buggy’ lets theorize why we are seeing this behavior and why it might be ‘working as intended’.

I’m rather certain that each enemy has it’s own suppression resistance, some foes clearly show to respond easier compared to other and some don’t respond at all.

Theorize and Speculate a possible reason to why…
Taking the flamer video as our use case.

Lets assume that each time an enemy ‘flinches’ it has has ‘visually resisted’ being suppression and that once it resisted, their is a grace period of time that it can’t be suppressed at all.
The next suppression check might not even have any ‘visually flinching animation’ and if successful, could explain for the prolonged ‘unresponsive’ to suppression effect what we can see happing in the video.

When testing with sustained fire mode and mag dumping the full clip between testing, I’m seeing a much more consistent effect of suppression and when it’s resisted, the inconsistency kind of start showing when they ‘flinches’ and have resisted being suppressed and sustain fire doesn’t visually affect them any more.

Suppression is the effect of ‘sustained’ fire and single shots or a single burst, might show the suppression animation start but not take hold and end. While sustain fire, will see the effect of suppression be maintained once an enemy gets suppressed.

@FatsharkQuickpaw
Are we theorizing the in the correct direction here? Dropping some clues to why it’s working correctly would be most welcome right now.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for the janky looking animation cancelling I might be more inclined to think its not a bug. However the animation cancelling is there, sometimes playing only a fraction of a second worth of animation before cancelling back to the idle animation.

I would think if this was the intended way this unit is supposed to work, the animations would be blended to make them transition smoothly.

1 Like

Dreg gunners are suicidal fearless warriors, confirmed by Word of God :person_facepalming:

1 Like

No it is NOT working correctly wtf you smoking.

Kindly tell those devs to play their own game at a high enough level and not playtest something in a dev environment.
I understand the gunner melee switch ratio being less on higher difficulties, but the entire suppression mechanic is a joke.

At this point I’m thinking that they’re just trolling and claiming it’s working as intended to avoid having even more work to do.

You have good instinct, @PrybarBas ! You’re more or less right on the money.

While I insist that the behaviour of the units itself is working as designed and intended (except for the jumpy animations you guys mentioned, that is a known visual bug*), there has been loud and clear feedback that this mechanic is a bit overtuned, so there are some upcoming changes to tweak this further. Dregs’ suppression immunity** will be shortened and their overall suppression resistance will be lowered. They’ll still handle suppression better than Scabs, as I understand it, but it should lean towards more reasonable values.

*Scab and dreg gunners have a visual bug where their suppression animation can cut off before they’re done being suppressed. They’re still suppressed for the entire correct duration of the suppression, they just look idle while doing so. This should also be fixed whenever these changes make it to live.

**Suppression immunity being a thing where units will be immune to suppression for a short while after they exit the suppressed state.

3 Likes

Is it similar to the stagger override where applying a lower level of stagger (for clarity we’ll call the levels pushed → stunned → knockdown in order of strength) on someone will immediately cancel the stronger effect and play the animation of the lesser stagger? That was an issue in both Vermintide games and it still happens in Darktide.

A strong example of it would be if you push someone who is knocked down, they are immediately standing without a getting up animation. In this it looks like a new suppression state is cancelling the old one mid animation?

No, the only bug regarding suppression right now is that sometimes the animation for dreg gunners and scab gunners will end before they’re done being suppressed, so they’ll stay perfectly still and idle for the rest of the suppression duration. There’s nothing overriding it, the animation just ends prematurely.

In the Psykhanium this can’t really be noticed because when they’re not being suppressed, they’re idle anyway, so you can’t tell that they’re actually still suppressed. But, in a normal match, what you’d see is that they’d start to get suppressed, the animation cuts off early and they’d remain still for a while until the suppression wore off, then they’d go back into the fight.

1 Like

Thank you heaps for the clarification and the update!

Its funny how a handful of unrelated design choices can create a situation where you think something is happening that is not.

1 Like

Testing this sort of stuff out would be a lot easier if we could enable enemy ai in the psyk

1 Like