Staff Bonk

The staff special attack is hilariously pointless.

Reasons to use it.

1. Run around screaming “Bonk!” when you hit something in the head. Warning this may make your significant other question your sanity

That is the only reason I’ve been able to come up with for the existence of the staff special attack. Change the Bonk into a Force Block or Force Push with a small recharge that costs 50% of our Stam.

Or just keep it a Bonk and I’ll continue screaming BONK! to the dismay of my husband.

5 Likes

It would be nice if the bonk was more like a push, so you can make some room for yourself.

1 Like

Yeah have a force push that can be charged up and is omni directional. 2 meter push without charging and up to 6 meter push if charged for 2 seconds (+1 meter per 0.5s). Would really help when you’re getting swamped and need room to charge up a staff attack.

Charging a push to make room to charge an attack doesn’t work. It has to be faster than attacking to be useful.

The 2nd swing is horizontal and can actually make a little space. They should get rid of the first hit, the bonk and staff will feel a little better when someone gets too close.

Yeah I guess. Could just be an instant 5 meter omni directional push that costs some peril. Maybe different staffs could have different specials.

Like the push could be for the Conflag staff, The Lightning staff could have a special that powers up an allies melee weapons with electricity for 10 seconds, flamer staff could launch a fire wave around you that ignites all enemies in a 5 meter radius, fireball staff could keep the bonk, but said bonk should have a flame explosion on it that ignites hit enemies and staggers them.

If you gave staffs all those crazy abilities they would be much better than guns and they already have the advantage of unlimited ammo.

The staff’s special button should be as helpful as a lasgun’s flashlight. In this game ranged weapons have weak special button abilities and melee weapons have awesome special button abilities.

I don’t disagree that there is not necessarily a need to buff the staff by giving it a more powerful secondary, but a flashlight is at least useful. The staff bonk is literally just for laughs.

It would be nice if it came out just a little faster and maybe could hit at least 3 or 4 on the second hit making it a decent cc attack that gives you some space. As is it’s definitely just there for laughs…which I’m ok with lol.

If the intent of the Bonk is to be funny then they totally nailed it. Makes me feel like a wizened old man trying to get the “damn kids” off my lawn.

If the intent of the Bonk was to be useful for something they totally missed the nail.

I don’t think it needs to be turned into something crazy powerful or unique but it should actually be useful for something even if it costs a resource to use.

1 Like

Maybe make it a really bad push attack? Like knock back like 3-4 enemies and have a big slow swing animation so its only really useful against zombies.

1 Like

I think this is a general issue with pretty much all ranged weapons that have a melee attack as their special. It simply isn’t useful, because it’s so easy to just switch to a proper melee weapon when you need it.

A flashlight is actually useful, when its dark or foggy, a really bad, slow melee attack on the other hand, what do you do with that?

1 Like

You shall not pass!

BONK!