Some notes

Some things I’ve noticed recently.

Sliding - I wonder why sliding doesn’t count as a dodge? I personally think it should. I have been trapped by trappers mid-slide and it just doesn’t seem right.

Grenades - I feel like grenades should be 2-3x more powerful. Not in terms of radius/spread, just in terms of hit points. Waaaay too many basic enemies survive a grenade barrage and it’s annoying. Grenades are used sparingly and should really clear the blast area much better.

Hit whilst sprinting - enemies catching up with you and landing a hit in your back whilst you’re sprinting away (with stamina) is something I can’t get my head around. This happens even when playing with my 200mph zealot.

1 Like

For point 2, you must be talking about Veteran grenades - those are powerful not because of the damage they provide, but the space they create. A really quick button to press to get an instant knockdown on a horde of mobs while also softening them up is great. A solid grenade can easily work as well as a shout, and can be placed anywhere. Plus, if the situation is REALLY sticky, 16 stacks of bleed from shredder frags is nothing to scoff at. They are way stronger than you think.

Plus, Veteran grenades need to be weaker than the other classes’ grenades just due to how spammable they are, considering they’ve got three talents dedicated to refilling grenades. If vets could constantly be throwing Zealot firebombs, that would be OP as hell.

5 Likes

It does make me miss the old Demolition Team.

I think it could be reworked to give fractional grenades with each proc. If they can do it with ammo, it should be doable with grenades. The only real problem is the poor psyker missing out, but they already do with Survivalist.

Sliding counts as a type of dodging. Specifically for ranged attacks. I do not believe it applies to melee attacks. Dodging a net is one thing, but if you dodge into the net, that’s not a dodge. The dodging of the net utilizes movement to avoid being netted. Sprint/sliding, although a dodging maneuver, can’t “phase” through the net.

It depends on what grenade you are referring to. Ogryn Frag is an atomic bomb as is. Extremely clutch. Zealot’s immolate and stun grenade are also very good and useful. Veteran frag is somewhat lackluster, though I can’t say I’ve used it in about a year. Krak grenades are superduper. Anything but smoke and vet-frag being 2-3 times as powerful, would offset balance quite a bit. And even then, vet-frag might be overtuned.

This was the whole concept of Vermintide games, where you did not have sprint. You can’t outrun and kite enemies without learning certain things. This to make you fight the enemies instead of skipping them. The only thing I know that can outrun enemies in Darktide are knives. Not sure if it’s Zealots exclusively, or if Veterans and others can too. But, I do know Zealots can, as that’s what I do all the time.

For everyone else, sprinting, turning 180, block push, turning 180 and continue to sprint is the way to go.

1 Like

it’s just zealots, the rest of us get caught. vets are using the knives for dodgeframes.
we’re all stuck fighting those dudes you left behind.

2 Likes

Vet frag is excellent. I remember the jokes in earlier iterations of Vet’s talent trees that frag spam was carrying Vet’s damage contribution (and it honestly could). They’re great utility in a lot of situations but they can also do very good damage if you throw 2-3 at a time into tough situations. As has been pointed out, Vet nades have to be balanced around how much you can spam them. A single talent point in 1 nade per minute regen already effectively gives you more extra nades than basically every nade pickup on the map put together. And you can spec to have even more than that if you desire quite cheaply.

Smokes and BOX are honestly the only 2 nades in the game in need of help. I’m not even convinced smokes are that bad TBH but they definitely are outcompeted at least.

3 Likes

That’s not true at all because it depends on your build. For example, Kraks become virtually redundant if you use a Plasma Gun with “Superiority Complex” and “Bring it Down!”. For Frags, just slap “Demolition Stockpile” and “Grenade Tinkerer” on your build and you’ll wipe the floor with those heretics!

1 Like

I never leave a man/woman behind! :blush:

Pretty much what I suspected, thanks for the clarification. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, as I mentioned, I’m not a big fan of vet-frags and haven’t really used them in ages. Krak just seems too good and horde I swing my way though if I just don’t gun 'em down. But I figured it’s not all that bad. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

I agree that I love shredder nades on vet over the other 2 a lot and agree they are balanced out by the other talents Vet has access to, but I won’t lie that it hurts that a frag nade can’t kill a single Poxwalker.

Also it does produce a problem where you are almost “forced” to take regenning nades to get value out of them, at least for Shredders imo. Can you get away without running it? Absolutely. But when you’re in an engagement and realize you don’t have any grenades it really sucks. The vet grenades will always be balanced around the fact that there are ways to regenerate them without picking them up off the floor.

Personally I still think that the idea of a Grenadier playstyle would’ve been better as a keystone instead of spread around the tree.

1 Like

I think grenades are fine, just want more to throw. Which is why I rock main. There is also this weird bias I have created where if I run a build that doesn’t require grenade, I see them everywhere and visa-versa.

“Grenades” “Nades” “Gru-nades”

-With that being said Please add the ability to pick up and immediately throw nade boxes, even if I run Rock, because why not.

Well if I can’t dodge out of the way of nets then the **** trapper also shouldn’t have a net that just passes freely through all enemies and hordes. Being in the middle of 50-70 enemies, unable to see what’s going on… And yet a trapper is still able to net you?? That is bs. Happens to me all the time. I hate trappers so much with their magic nets.

2 Likes

you may not like hearing it, but that’s a skill issue.

2 Likes

They would be so pathetically impotent it would be a bad joke if they couldn’t pierce basic trash mobs. Insane to me people make this complaint with a straight face as if the alternative makes any sense at all.

You can absolutely argue that. But, at the end of the day, it’s a video game. Not everything is going to make real world sense. Also, part of playing video games is overcoming adversity, learning the mechanics, the strength and weaknesses of your enemies and play around it.

And as @alsozara mentioned, if trappers couldn’t shoot through a horde, then you may as well remove them from the game entirely as they would become pointless to the game.

It is, what it is. :face_with_peeking_eye:

The trapper has a gun but decides to attack from the same range as the dog. She has less hitpoints than a Shotgunner and is almost as tall as an Ogryn. Even with the garbage audio I don’t have much trouble with them anymore. Especially now that they don’t have super stun immunity when they land behind you anymore. Like anything staggers her and she decides to abort the mission if you failed to kill her and comes back 10 seconds later. Way way nerfed and the least threatening special to get mobbed by. They could literally make a Waves of Trappers mod and it would be one of the easiest Maelstroms.

Yet Bombers and Flamers can set their own on fire?

There’s a difference between friendly fire collateral and a special being literally unable to hit you because there’s a handful of groaners between you and them. You see how the latter would make an absolute nonsense out of trappers no? Honestly that’s such an obtuse comparison I barely understand what point you were trying to make.

Sure make the net do light damage to every mob it passes through, that’s fine, but nothing less than an Ogryn elite should actually stop a net connecting, otherwise they become pointless and you may as well remove them entirely.

Trappers should have to navigate through their own before getting a clear shot on a player, there are still circumstances where Trappers could become an annoyance that way but not completely broken like they are right now. Why can certain enemies literally do friendly fire but making Trappers have to navigate through their own and actually FIND the player is too weak? Using your logic, Bombers and Flamers shouldn’t harm their own because that actually benefits the player a LOT more than you realise.

Then again, I’m arguing with the guy who thinks Helbores don’t have a ridiculously long equip time… what’s the point?

1 Like

Don’t take cheap shots. I also never said that, I just said they’re good in spite of it and low on the list of things that need buffs (or not on that list at all depending on where you want overall player power at).

Annoyance maybe but a threat? Questionable. If they had to push through other enemies to get to you they’d probably get collateral’d by melee swings quite a lot since they’re pretty squishy. TBC them shooting through bulwarks and bosses is BS I’m on the same page about that much.

I maintain that dealing friendly fire and being unable to target you through mobs are two very different things. Yeah if bombers had to wade to the front of the horde to throw a bomb at you they’d obviously be a joke a lot of the time. Again a more equivalent case would be if trappers staggered and damaged enemies they shot through, which would be completely fine and good.

No they wouldn’t, and my point still stands. If trappers are to be allowed magic nets that pass through enemies that are physically blocking my own movement then an active slide should dodge the net

Edit: for the record, I’m only talking about this as it’s an instance that I think is genuinely unfair to the player. I have no trouble with trappers otherwise. I dodge their nets 95% of the time now that their audio is fixed, and I’m fine with being trapped if it was my mistake, but what I’m discussing is not a skill issue. It’s just an unsporting mechanic.

1 Like