So. Console version, eh? The update well is going to be dry

“we are a small company to begin with and a very small console team. Most of the time it’s me, my producer and another programmer so we try to focus on one platform at the time. The rest of the company is working on stuff that benefits all platforms.

Small company, very small console team. Most of the time it’s him, his producer and one other programmer. 1+1+1 = 3. So three people are working on the Xbox version most of the time. The rest of the company is working on stuff that benefits all platforms. Which I would assume is more content, ie maps, bug fixes, etc.

How did I misread that?

He (assuming gender based on name) is explicit on three people on the console team. He is also explicit that most work on stuff that benefits all platforms, which in this case, probably, is performance improvements and rewrites forced due to adaption of more platforms. I.e. work on the main branch, rather than downstream platform specific optimisation (which imho is the correct way of doing it, major downstream changes are a mess to maintain and test).

You interpret what he said from your perspective of organisation and work, which I daresay is not applicable to a software development process. I’d say your background of organisation is in a field of supervised coordination, i.e. where coordination happens through supervision of measurable tasks and where work done only affects the closest artefacts, such a factory or the military. You normally do not coordinate software development in such a way (I might of course be wrong in the particular case of Fatshark, but I do not think so).

I.e. three people who only work on console directly (i.e. downstream), the entire core team (i.e. main branch or upstream maintainers) does stuff that affects console, such as performance improvements.

Ah, fair enough, that’s how I interpreted it. And I suppose I can only see it from a military/management point of view as that’s all I know. I can see your point of view as well. Would be nice if they could give us some general info so we’re not all guessing here xD

But again, I’m sure they can show us some unfinished content. Give us something… You can’t throw out a road map and imply we’ll be getting things within the initial 1-2 months. Then 4 months later we haven’t even heard any more information about them.

I love this game but before a DLC i hope we will have dedicated servers

If I put on my tinfoil hat I would speculate that dedicated servers will be released the same time as sanctioned mod support hit the shelves (or slightly after). I do not see dedicated servers hitting the shelves before sanctioned mod support and all that entails is done with regards to stuff like EAC.

(My personal belief is that sanctioned mod support is hell with EAC, and that FS might have taken a bit water over their head with Lua, mods and EAC since the dynamic nature of Lua naturally has great possibilities for dependency injection and similar methods. I.e. it is very very hard to control which code gets executed or not. Although I’m not a Lua expert, I think that the end results might be along the lines of sanctioned mods more or less being integrated into the game itself rather than “separate” (in a dependency perspective). And then, what happens with ownership of mods? As a mod owner being accepted as a sanctioned mod, will you loose the rights to your mod?)

1 Like

Nice input, it definitely makes sense it’ll be harder than imagined getting mods sanctioned and to run with EAC.

Blizzard took Mods (ideas and possibly some of the original code) from 3rd party contributors and integrated them into WoW with no ‘rights’ given to the designer.
This formula added many QoL improvements in the early vanilla years, benefiting the players in the end.

FatShark may try to do the same in time; they just have turnaround speed of a battleship.

I really miss PC udpates. After the content update we had one new patch pretty much every 4-6 days.
Look now, 14 days of nothing… weird, the console version also released 14 days ago…

(thinking)

4 Likes

It’s best to just move on to other things.

1 Like

RIP V2.
Was fun.

1 Like

well I’m playing TWW2 with my friend while we wait for V2 to move somewhere. Still, this sucks…

1 Like

Yeah I know, but there’s nothing else to do. Yelling at the devs isn’t going to somehow accelerate the process. Reposting the same old tired threads isn’t going to speed the process up either. Fatshark obviously has some internal issues they need to sort out. I’ll say give it a year or so, until they figured their issues out. Hopefully by then, there will still be players playing. Let’s just hope the community doesn’t suffer too much from it.

I only hope that V2 won’t end up like 40k Spacehulk Deathwing… both versions

4 Likes

Lol, “Enhanced” Vermintide 2. The real way to experience the game.

They need a big balance patch, which includes fixing the traits that still aren’t working, fixing bugs, balancing weapons and careers (I’m looking at you WHC) rolling back the Great Huntsman Nuke™ for my own personal mental wellbeing, and putting in Duplicate Protection and Bad Luck Protection. This would stabilise the community a little - then add the cosmetics and DLC once that is done. Anything else is just piling new problems on top of old.

3 Likes