So about that Crafting Roll-out

On this note, I don’t understand why they’re using EAC on top of client to server authentication. EAC could have been removed and saved them a lot of performances issues that end users are having. I’ve spoken about this in the past:

Speaking of which. We’ve lost 163% of players not even a month in. That’s insane. I’ve never seen this phenomenon before. Games usually temper off over a few months not in weeks.

It’s not healthy to lose so many players in such a quick amount of time.

2 Likes

Every hyped game lose a majority of player base from launch. Lot of people jump on hype train just to find out the game is actually a niche game that they won’t enjoy. This numbers dive is normal.

Also, if game lost “163%” of player base, that is over whole player base and a half. People would have to unplay the game for that stat to make sense.

Darktide is a niche game and shouldn’t try to be more. “Appealing to larger audience” hardly ever worked out for games. Not only larger audience never stick around (since they aren’t interested in core gameplay), people that do enjoy it get worse expirience and might drop out as well. Learn from failures of games like Elite Dangerous Odyssey.

2 Likes

Yes, WH40K and Coop Shooters are very niche.

Sorry for the sarcastic comment.

Darktide is failing / dwindling because the game is a bit of a turd and Fatshark mediocre at their job at best. Both Warhammer 40K and Coop Shooters are mainstream. Maybe not Fifa oder Call Of Duty levels but come on…

Less RNG (okay, WAY LESS RNG FATSHARK PLEASE), More content, More stability and better balancing would’ve made Darktide a huuuuuuuge success.

They just fked up in too many areas.

4 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I somehow missed up my percentage calculations. This is why I suck at math. It’s actually 90% since 10,715 is 10% of 107,450, so Darktide lost 90% of its players.

1 Like

Of course they don´t want to “tell the truth”. They keep using standard-phrases for years as any other company does. When i hear or read stuff like “We´re so excited…”, i´ll normally be like, “ok i´m not.”

Of course they should with such standard lines. But also whoever is 10 or even 20+ years into gaming should know all that wording. And any time Hedge posts something, it´ll go nuts anyway. Dunno if he´s actually a real Mod or just a technician like Sean Murray and just take care for his posts “driveby” wise.

But for sure something like “We´re sorry, but we found a major bug in XY, so we´ve to delay it until week 2 of 2023…” would be atleast something.

2 Likes

They said no patch during holidays. So not december.

I think people are way to focused on “difficulty to code it” rather than the difficulty to DESIGN it.
Which is probably what’s taking long. How much should it costs, should there be a limit, what implications do these decisions have, how does the cost affect the rest of the crafting economy, how does it play with resource gathering and such. Should they pick and choose, what implications will that have, how does that impact the overall experience and engagement.

Not saying difficulty to code stuff isn’t a thing, but in this case I don’t think it is. It’s the design part that’s the problem. Could be wrong though, considering the performance It wouldn’t surprise me the code is a mess.

3 Likes

Man. If only we had a market of competitors of whom we can reach and or study, and if only we had multiple games made already that our players have given us feedback on. If only we’ve quality feedback from our fans over the years to draw from as a starting point when designing such systems. If only. Ah well. This is Fatshark’s first game and they probably have never played video games before. I’m sure they’ll figure it out in time.

6 Likes

Not sure why you are sarcastic towards me.
You can flip what you said and aim it towards the code critique… they already had this in previous games. They already have that experience thus it can’t be the code that’s the issue.

You seem to have taken my post as a defense even when I slammed their code and performance.
I merely try to give some perspective on that sometimes players focus on the wrong thing, like it’s taking long to code. Which it probably doesn’t… I’m merely trying to be informative.

If you’d like my actual view on the stance on crafting I think it’s rookie behavior and this bit, considering how simple the first 2 were, should’ve been completed months before release.

2 Likes

Apologies. I wasn’t trying to be insulting towards you. Just frustrated with Fatshark. I should have made that clear. So once again: I wasn’t trying to be mean to you or act like a jerk. I was using your post as a means to frame my frustration towards Fatshark.

I should have been clear about this. I wasn’t trying to attack your position on the issue. I was merely using your post as a frame to host my rhetoric device against Fatshark.

1 Like

If the systems currently available to us were beautifully tuned and perfectly balanced on cost vs benefit I might agree, but they are not. The current systems pricing seems to have been arbitrarily chosen and not even tested. People are ending up with thousands of the ‘rare’ currency Diamantine and running completely out of the ‘common’ currency Plasteel.

This makes me feel like its nothing as justifiable as taking their time to test and tune a working system they have designed. I just dont think its designed yet, and their coders are spending all of their time trying to fix all the crap wrong with the game. thats what is causing the delay on these simple systems.

We will have to see, but I bet that when the blessing stuff comes in, its cost will not be tuned and will just exasperate the plasteel issue

It shouldn’t take one programmer more than a single shift to create and debug their code for any one function of the crafting menu for all existing and future weapons. Anyone who couldn’t do that is not a professional or the engine is supremely awful to use. The programmer should leave documentation for assets to be imported once art has been created (or vice versa) so that should be a 5 minute task of importing and seeing if it’s actually showing. Debugging can cost an unlimited amount of time but if the programmer knew what they were doing, they would test incrementally, thus making what would be some simple hour of code to an 8 hour meticulous process. If they have separated departments where a section handles objects, another game mode data, another controller data, another level data, etc then this 8 hour task could take weeks. That would be the effects of god awful management which based on what I have seen, is most likely the case.

1 Like

I agree.
I don’t think it’s justified. I do think, as you mentioned, that it’s ain’t designed yet and not difficult to code in a button to make rerolls.

lol talk about an American detector , i know its going to be a shock but in Europe and well most of the world workers actually get time off , you can pretty much write off the last 8 or so days of december.
expect ot hear around jan 2-5th

sucks when your waiting for a a game that was clearly pushed out not ready tog et promised updates no doubt, but its not a sign of it not coming its just they aren’t in the office

Yeah and Fatshark new what time they were having off before they stated ‘we will be rolling this out in December’

2 Likes

Why didn’t this developer delay the game when they were fully aware of the severe issues in Darktide? Unless they ignored all the critical feedback and only focused on the positive feedback. There’s only one possibility here: this developer went for a cynical cash grab. Simple as.

This is like turning in an incomplete project to your college professor then promising them you’ll probably finish it later. Don’t act surprised when your community is attacking you over it. Just as how your professor will fail you for turning in shoddy work.

3 Likes

Lol I’m American and not working this week so your detector is a bit off.

The forum said they’re back in the Office on the 27th. That’s why I made the thread then and not the day before.

1 Like

Also from USA and off this week, thought I would be spending much of my time playing darktide but here we are, discussing their failures

back in the office on the 27th eh? and not a peep, I’m sure they are catching up on their emails

uploaded for emphasis:

1 Like

This may be the greatest thing I’ve ever read on this forum, legitimate lol.

Making videogames is, like, literally the hardest job on the planet and all, y’know?

3 Likes