Slow cosmetic/asset loading in menus and reloading them constantly while scrolling

Issue Description:
Whenever I browse my characters cosmetics, Operative Cosmetics store or penances the assets slowly and stutterily load in and reload whilst scrolling up and down in menus.

Attempted Solutions:
I recently switched from 3060ti to 6950xt before which I hadn’t noticed this. Perhaps they’ve always loaded like this when needed (scrolling up and down), just not…this slowly.

I used DDU to cleanly uninstall nVidia drivers before the new GPU installation and installed the latest Radeon drivers that i had downloaded beforehand, no Windows auto-installation.

I tried verifying game files, redownloading/reinstalling, with and without mods. Ran sfc /scannow and fixed 1 thing, but to no avail. At this point I may just try reinstalling Windows to top it off since it’s quite annoying and makes me paranoid that it’s affecting performance outside of this as well.

Platform:
Steam

PC Specifications:
Windows 10 pro, all up to date
Ryzen 3700x
AMD 6950xt // 23.4.3 drivers and 23.3.2 drivers tried for what it’s worth
16gb ram @ 3200mhz cl16
NVMe 1TB on which the game is installed with ~150 gb free.

Example gif of what I’m talking about:

Upload Console Log & darktide_launcher.log:
console-2023-05-02-17.18.40-9374bbb1-d27e-478f-a89f-8c474689a970.log (1.9 MB)
darktide_launcher.log (113.2 KB)

it is amd thing, it happens on my rx 6900xt and few other amd cards.

it only affects amd and windows, on amd and linux there is no such problem, there is a bug report regarding this filed about 1 month ago… titled that loading times in windows are 3 times longer than on linux.

my observation is that on amd cards and windows game loads assets one by one and while doing this, it pauses the main thread leading to shuttering. the cosmetic screen is the easiest way to observe that, but this happens on each screen where skins or other 3d models need to be loaded

related bug report

Indeed that seems to be exactly the same problem in experiencing. I’ll bump that post as well to get some attention.

1 Like

Oh I thought it was a normal thing. Happened on my rx 6950 xt and now on my 7900 xtx.

1 Like

Now it’s like this for me :x doesn’t load operative cosmetics even

edit: that was darkcache mod bug

Same thing on my 6700xt.
These problems also contribute to longer load times for many AMD users as the loading stalls and stutters and completely stops/slows the loading process during those periods.
The experimental build doesnt help address this issue either.

amd support is in very bad shape, since last patch ray tracing is always on for me 6900xt @4k), that makes perf not the best (30fps dips when there is a lot of flames)…

this game is totally broken state, patches break stuff instead of fixing stuff

Did you also go from Nvidia to AMD after Darktide launched? Cba to read through the other thread atm, but did you do a clean Windows install? That being formatting your windows drive. I’ve been wondering if that could be a potential issue. I’ll be doing that anyway after I get my 5800x3d, hopefully that’ll resolve some issues.

Gonna unplug LAN cable and install mobo drivers and gpu drivers myself manually after clean Windows install to try 100% isolate this issue. Maybe it’ll work for me. :skull:

unfortunately everything you mentioned is not related, the game js just bugged.

either way, good luck!

Welp, changing cpu to 5800x3d did not change anything as I expected, but now at least I have the 3d cpu that’ll get utilised like hell in other games. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i did swap my 3600 to 5800x a month ago. apart from better min fps it obviously had no effect on this bug. it still locks up solid when models load

Hi,

I’m bumping up this thread as I encounter the exact same problem, now in march 2024. It was not a problem days/weeks ago, then somehow it appeared.

Interestingly, I have a friend using the same specifications (6600 XT 8 GB, 5600X, 32 GB RAM) who has no problem. I reinstalled the game, put the same driver he uses (namely 23.4.3 from april 2023, I was using the latest one), and guess what, nothing changed.

Does anyone has an idea on how I can fix this ?

1 Like

do you have logs (win patch version, driver version) from the time it used to work ok?

if you compare them to what you have now, what is the difference?

Nope sorry, don’t have them