Reverting a difficulty increase without any player feedback

Well you already lost what little good will you built up lol. If you actually played the game or paid attention to the forums you would see the people who actually PLAY this game consistently loved this update. The people who play this game once a week and want to do Auric Maelstrom - didn’t like this update. You catered to the player-base that will provide you with no longevity for this games life span. All they had to do was play a lower difficulty and instead you say “lets nerf the enemies since they can’t select Malice missions” Unbelievable.

11 Likes

We don’t really know Fatshark decision process. I would imagine they gather some sort of telemetry from Darktide missions and can gather data about what and how killed players.

2 Likes

We just need “one more” level of difficulty.

I think that would be fair enough

1 Like

While I am actually fairly ambivalent to both the original change, and this small reversion, is your comment based on actual numbers you have obtained, or the “my mates in my discord group say…” sounding group?

3000 players on average, so, you know, if you’ve got even 30 DarkTide mates it’s still not representative. And actually, I have seen several posts with people complaining and I don’t think they claimed to be once-a-week Auric Maelstrom’ers.

Maybe give it a bit and see how it settles, since the patch is 3 hours old

9 Likes

Is it actually nerfed or one of the million fatshark bugs?

Oke just saw the patch notes so intended lol.

‘chaos mode’ :imp:

What we need is a completely separate difficulty called “teletubbies island adventure” so all the people who don’t want to practice or put in time/effort to improving their gameplay can sit in that playlist and leave the rest of us alone.

I’m not convinced this is the answer. This was done with Cata in V2, and people complained they couldn’t finish the hardest difficulty so it was retuned early on. I suspect the same would happen here.

I didn’t find the increase really any harder, fwiw. But definitely saw complaints when it was implemented.

14 Likes

Complaints from people at sub 50 hours, I guarantee. So they submitted and listened to feedback from people who don’t play this game on a consistent basis but ignored the people who play this game on a consistent basis? Got it.

We need more of an community shift than more difficulties. Adding tier 6 won’t matter if it eventually just gets nerfed because people cant clear it and complain about it.

Auric was already supposed to be that difficulty increase but seemingly everyone wants to play there for one reason or a other.

1 Like

But what point of challenge if this is not “challenge”?

If anyone can be Ph.D - what the point of all way to Ph.D?

3 Likes

No we don’t. The difficulties are already fragmented enough as is.

If you add a new difficulty the people wanting to be tough auric guys but lack the skill or will to improve will complain again, when they can’t complete it. There was virtually no reason to downgrade auric maelstrom difficulty for people that can’t cut it. They lose out nothing in terms of crafting materials compared to regular damnation quickplay. It’s just a bunch of bruised entitled egos that lack the will to actually improve and overcome a challenge.

Auric Maelstrom should have a massive failure rate and be hard af. The fact that a group with more than 2 good players can casually walk through it, is just plain wrong. We shouldn’t be able to dictate the pacting at all. If it was balanced correctly we should be at the mercy of the AI director 100%.

6 Likes

Exactly yet all these people jumping onto this game and have played for 40 hours think they deserve to be running the hardest missions whenever and winning those with absolutely no issue. They are ruining the challenging experience for the rest of us. Only reason so many of us are STILL playing is for the challenge, yet we have people trying to REMOVE the challenge and the devs are listening to them instead of us, LOL

3 Likes

I don’t think the people hardcore playing Auric Maelstrom on the daily are the core market, most of the playerbase is playing mid-level difficulties from what we’ve heard before, and if that’s the case then I suspect Fatshark is managing balance around that as opposed to the top end of difficulty scale.

1 Like

Hard disagree. Check the Vermintide 2 population for comparison. Same genre. Same dev. Almost same player count. Now try finding a game below legend and tell me if the lobby fills. A legend or cata lobby is generally always full right away or can be found in the server.

The core audience of tide games, the one that sticks through all of FS bad decisions and keeps playing/buying is the one that wants challenge. This is the core audience that keeps the game alive.

1 Like

You could just balance those mid tiers separately instead of making changes that sweep the entire game.
Sure i doubt many here would care how easy malice/heresy is to clear but its bollocks that these things also always hit the auric/maelstrom crowd.

I wish they caved this easily when it came to nerfing players. How long have we had OP plasma gun and power knives again? Months? Meanwhile the enemies become dangerous again and get nerfed immediately because of some noobs who dont know how to deal with shooters. It feels like they balance around the noobs.

6 Likes

It also feels like they don’t listen to the actual playerbase that keeps them at an average 3k players a day. They want to listen to the randoms that play this game once a week

2 Likes

When Cata was first introduced it came along with sweeping unpopular balance changes thanks to WoM. I don’t think this instance is similar.

I agree, but people don’t see games that way, especially if goodies like frames and stuff are locked behind it.