Ranger Veteran suggestion

I’ve seen some feedback about him how he is, quite squishy (especially for a Dwarf), and also how the talent that lets him get 10% ammo when somebody else picks up his drops is mathematically inferior to the one that restores 30% ammo instead. Both are true.

So here’s an idea: Replace the ammo share talent with one that removes his drops in exchange for 30 extra hitpoints. Allows for a more melee oriented build with the tradeoff of less ranged capability, not overpowered at all, but still an interesting choice.

4 Likes

Yes, he feels squishy for how robust he is built, especially weird since RV, wearing actual armor, is as squishy / depending on talents squishier than slayer.
The ammo talent one is very nice for QP, where people tend to not give a damn about who needs ammo and just vacuum it all up. Looking at you swiftbow waystalkers with 3 arrows missing. This way you guarantee you actually get to enjoy your own passive.

They wont replace a talent in a row of passive-enhancing talents with a talent that gives no boost to the passive and instead getting rid of it for a non-related boost. Thats not how it works.

1 Like

I like OP suggestion, but I’d also increase its base hp to 125. He quite needs it, and that way the extra 30 could be the cherry on top, instead of an almost mandatory pick

They wont do that. RV is the ranged career, like all the other ranged careers, he gets 100 hp. If anyone needs an HP bump, its slayer.

1 Like

He’s a rsnged career that is actuslly mediocre at being ranged. I mean, what are his ranged talents? Ehrm… Bounty Hunter gets a critical hit every kill, with X-bow he 1-shots with a bodyshot everything sans CW and Wargor, and he has an excellent ranged ult dealing a solid chunk of damage to bosses.
RV’s ult is best used with melee, unless we’re using crossbow vs the boss. His ammo return talent is unreliable, because it’dependant on specials and being able to get where they died before the elf. The only really fun weapon Grudgeraker, was nerfed hard, and no longer allows you to get ammo back via skull bashing. Handgun is just slow.
Yes, RV can be “solid”, but he’s not exciting, not by a long shot, unlike pther ranged careers that can perform insane deeds by using certain wrapons and talents (Huntsman + handgun + reload speed on headshot + ult was a funny one).

3 Likes

Well with axes he is quite powerhouse right now, and one of fastest way to kill boss if he is on ult and spam axes into his back with pick up (not reload), and axes work great with his 25% power talent or even ult cd reduction on reload (~20 s throwing axes into ground full ult)
30% dmg resist talent on headshot is amazing too because its on any headshot

1 Like

He’s more of a hybrid jack-of-all-trades support sort of class gameplay wise, not really a ranged class like for example Bounty Hunter. For what he is lore-wise, he should be better in melee combat than he is now, and a lot less squishy.

6 Likes

Its what fatshark designated RV to be, the ranged option of Bardin. Yes, its not as powerful as other ranged careers, so why do you want to push him even further away? Why ask for him to get an HP buff instead of a talent buff/rework to more reflect his career role?

Which is kind of why I don’t like that potion build got lumped with bombs, let us specialize our utility. and If we want HP without giving a flat health bonus how about THP on ult back, that actually gave him a bunch of survival but with that in the moment feel. Melee with last resort I feel like he does have some good options. Overall I’d like some tweaks to RV but I actually think hes in an decent spot.

3 Likes

His role is whatever FS make him. They now seem to have made him more of a hybrid than a ranged class. My suggestion would not even nerf his ranged capability as is, but it would give him an option to lean a little more towards a melee class.

1 Like

That would put him over Ironbreaker in terms of hitpoints. Might be a bit much there…

I feel like they cornered themselves with making slayer melee only, because everyone who wants to use a bit of ranged weaponry (in this time of special flood and elite saturation absolutely understandable) but at the same time doesnt want to play a tank class, they are stuck with RV. So there are alot of players that land on RV with different expectations. Which is why I feel like FS tries to make him that jack of all trades career, while still sticking to their basic career rules. The second part im reinforcing, because there needs to be some order, or else everything feels meaningless and shallow.
So the obvious solution: More careers!

Yeah, actually the throwing axe no ammo build seems like the only truely viable RV build available. Every other one has some serious shortcomings, mostly: lacking melee damage while being not that great with ranged.
Before at least IB was just as bad in melee damage department, actually a bit worse due to no 5% attack speed talent. Now? IB runs around with +15% power, has another +20% power on demand with near-invincibility. And RV? With axes you get +25% dmg. Without axes? You can spam your shots…

…just like anyone else on your team since everyone can get the ammo pouch. So while very team friendly, RV feels a bit underwhelming.

I mean. He already has 130 effective health if you take the DR on headshot talent. He’s more consistently durable than Slayer right now, whos DR can fall off between hits.

1 Like

Actually way more. If 1 hit takes 10HP from you, with 30% reduction it only does 7 damage. So now you can take 14 hits instead of 10 and still have 2 HP to spare. So it’s around 43% more!

1 Like

I mean they did do that on Pyromancer taking away two of the three talents that increase per 5% OC, and on Zealot with part of his Fiery Faith talents.

imo that’d be too much, if they’re going to increase his base HP to 125 they can’t add a talent that gives 30 on top or he’d have insane HP with +20% HP on necklace.

Aye he’s more ranged hybrid melee/support than pure ranged like Huntsman, BH etc. are.

Mhm, if FS thought bomb drop was too good they could’ve nerfed the chance instead. Would’ve been better imo.

I like his current ult talents though. :confused:

1 Like

I wish he had more health overall and not just a talent change. He needs the whc treatment with a base hp increase. Maybe 10% damage reduction too? Anything really would help him a lot.

1 Like

RV may be a hybrid but he’s primarily a ranged centric career and his talents and inbuilt passives loop back into that. He shouldn’t get the 125 treatment that WHC, a true hybrid, has.

Unlike most ranged-centric careers RV doesn’t get much in the way of buffs to actual damage output though, only sustain. He’s more a support/utility career.

Hell, WHC has better ranged damage output with tagging and his ult.

Slayer does indeed need the +25HP more than RV however, but I think both could use it.

3 Likes

I’m mixed about this statement. On one hand you have universal potions, two of which effect ranged damage, bombs which are effectively ranged damage, and a career skill that gives you a free bomb every career skill, your career skill also inflates your damage letting you just chunk bosses from the safety of unbreakable stealth.

Depending on which of your 3 traits you take for your survivalist passive, you get either infinite ammo, infinite ammo for the entire team, or “you’re going to take this one anyways on cata” which gives you at least the option to take the ult refresh over the 30% damage reduction. WHC may get free in built damage but I’d be hard pressed to say he can output more damage to a boss than RV can. Especially with its ability to opt into an absolutely ludicrously fast reload to throw out damage for free safe in the knowledge that ammo quite literally can be avoided as a concern with Legend maps having upwards of 50 specials and cata having as many as 70.

And dang it, I don’t want to be on this side of the debate. I want them to buff RV too. But with health? I’m not so sure about that given again that it has 30% DR that can be up for 100% of the time in any engagement.