Psyker is weak, buff the staffs please

The staffs do mediocre damage, so I am not sure they are even worth using. Some of the guns do high damage without the veteran buffs, so they are not bad. The brain burst seems good to me even though the damage does not scale with difficulty. Melee is fine for a non-melee class, but psyker is easily downed by melee. I do not have a problem with any of the other classes.

edited

1 Like

Don’t worry, some psyker OTP will come to tell you how you are wrong, the class is perfectly fine but you don’t understand how to play it, then will tell you how it’s only somewhat viable with a very specific build and a weapon with a particular set of blessings.

Then the rest of the comments will laugh at the absolute clown and the post will fall into oblivion while we wait for a psyker buff/rework.

Have fun.

22 Likes

I am not sure it is worth playing as because I am struggling so much with it on middle difficulties while being half way leveled up.

The small ball from staff primary fire should oneshot headshot most trash minions (one at a time) but is not worth spamming at masses of enemies, rly.
Staff charge up gets reset when you get hit (There is a blessing that prevents this, which is available for all staffs. Good luck getting it…).
Trauma staff pretty much just sucks.
Once you get a voidstrike staff (2nd one you unolock iirc), you should oneshot a bunch of trashmobs with a charged shot.
The other 2 staffs are also good (but rly, do not touch the trauma staff once you have access to the others).

Regarding brainburst, you can pretty much spam it if you just quell down to about 97% peril before each cast.
Sadly, recently we got a bug or a new “balancing feature“ that sometimes prevents you from quelling peril for a few seconds upon reaching 100%.

Payker took me the most time to get used to out of the four classes. I run only force weapons, so that’s what I’m basing my experience on.

I would say that all staffs can be used to good effect, but I haven’t spent much time with the trauma staff (extreme peril buildup). What every psyker should be at least somewhat aware of is that a lot of builds eill have a harder time if you need to clutch or of the strike team is full of lone wolves. On the other hand the psyker can also make a mission incredibly smooth and handle snipers, mutants, dogs and netters eoth easy, leaving the clean up for the rest of the team.

I’d advise you to keeo playing with it, trying the different staffs and spending some time learning the not so obvious mechanics of the force sword, while also keeping un mind that certain aspects, like spam/burst of brainburst will be hard to utilize until you unlock certain feats. It’s good fun once you’ve found a few ways to play the class.

2 Likes

To me Psykers feel like they take the most finesse to get right, but when you pick your choice of gear and talents it can lay waste to fields of enemies and clutch your team from a near loss like the other classes.

1 Like

Fatshark are clowns for sure, Hedge is actually toxic.
I will try out more staffs I guess, still an underpowered class imo.

2 Likes

Their are a couple of very useful and very fun builds for the psyker. They were noted above so I won’t rehash. The main problem I have found is that it has taken a bit of time for me to understand my class options and now that I do you just cannot find good weapons due to the in game store being so very bad.

The store does not really take into account the class that is examining it. As a psyker when I look for weapons I am presented with a long list of guns and non-force based melee.

I do realize that the melee basically does not matter…which I see as a problem as it should matter. Also most of the melee just does not interact with psyker skills ( from the few options you get in the progression tree) and seem pointless. There should be at least a modicum of synergy here and there simply isn’t.

When you go to look at staffs in the store they just aren’t there. As a psyker when you go shopping you find a bunch of guns and maybe 1 or 2 staffs. Sometimes none. Its a 1 hour cooldown to get new stock. The weekly store is in the same sitch AND it takes much time to get the currency to buy these so having no options here feels really terrible.

Even when you find that good staff just look at the progression tree. 3 options each time and how many total options before you MAX a char? LOL…the progression feels even worse than the store.

Then you look at crafting/upgrading and most say…“Coming soon!”…hahahahahahahahahahahaha
And this is release? Classy.

Oh and then you try out the 2 upgrade/craft options avail and its mostly RNG to get bad skills that waste mats and ruin weapons. And this is really the only consistent progression you get. At least you can farm mats and randomly craft stuff you won’t use. Its something to do I suppose.

And thats just how it feels to work on 1 class. That is not even mentioning the lack of loot or any content other than just killing things endlessly.

At least the main game loop (horde management) is actually a really amazingly fun loop so its so far been worth playing here or there for 1 or 2 missions at a time.

I should prolly stop ranting now this is making me feel very toxic.

1 Like

Ugh, I am still bad as Psyker at level 20, every staff needs a huge damage buff. Please buff Psyker, Fatshark.

I might as well use guns as psyker lol.

U forgot to add how they only play up to difficulty 3

they nerfed the poop out of Psyker after CBT where BB is not great and overall the class is lacking and their traits underwhelming.

i’d say just give up on Psyker and play Veteran, prob the only class that feels finished in DT

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it useless, however I would rather have two vets (one using Kantrael, one using bolter) in the average Damnation PUG as opposed to a psyker. As is, its skill floor at high difficulties is just too much to expect much out of your average player.

Psyker seems pretty bad, though cc Pyskers make a huge different in feel of the game on Damnation

That said, my lvl 17 Psyker was destroying Malicelol with Force Sword + Recon Laser. Regens Toughness ez from lvl 5 feat. Very versatile and aggressive build

But I am bored of it

I want to use Chain Sword. imo Psyker is best suited for it. Now I will need to acquire a good staff for ccing hordes and regenerating Toughness easily

I am playing gun psyker and it is pretty good, way better than underpowered staff psyker. I am going to play it that way unless the staffs are buffed.

1 Like

Ok I had this problem at first too. For me I have to remember to hold the RMB even after it’s fully charged and I press LMB. I was letting go of RMB when it charged and pressing LMB. Sometimes it seems to do nothing, as if I didn’t charge the staff. But holding the RMB while pressing LMB to fire the charged shot seems to work for me.

I do feel that psyker should have an information based power like sharpshooter does. Something to highlight enemies or something like that.

Considering psykers are supposed to be able to read minds…

1 Like

I did a high intensity heresy run with four psykers yesterday night and it was freaking carnage, the DPS and stun output was insane. We had two voidstrike staff, a purgatus and a surge and all with force sword. We all clearly had high rating gear and were all putting out mass stacks of soulblaze. Everything was just dying in seconds, rarely did anything get into melee range. It was insane.

The low level staffs are trash, and before you get the talents you can’t really do a lot as psyker except brain burst the specials/elites for your team on malice. Once you level to 30, make good talent picks and get some high base rating force weapons upgraded, this class can output horrendous amounts of DPS. In a normal squad you need to be given the space to operate though, and that means you and your teammates need to be wary of anything that will take your attention away from outputting DPS.

2 Likes

nope, staffs are useless, the guns are way better

you have one, its called brainburst. It lets all the veterans know there is one specific enemy to kill and then they shoot it.

4 Likes