Powersword makes all other melee weapons, as well as Zealot and Ogryn, irrelevant

Powersword makes Veteran better in melee than Zealot. It has insane cleave and damage. It is a weapon that makes me sigh out loud every time i see someone use it. Several times lately i have played with a Veteran (or several) on Heresy who outright refuse to use ranged and just melee everything. This alone is not an issue imo, you do you. But when one weapon makes the entire niche of several classes irrelevant, there is a problem afoot. Veteran, THE ranged class is better in melee than Ogryn and Zealot.
I propose to reduce the damage of the weapon since the whole “power” in a power sword is cleaving thru stuff very easily. Also maybe add an overheat mechanic akin to the plasma gun or psyker.
And i should preface this; the power-up of the sword is what makes it absurd.

It is not fun to play along side a Vet using a Power Sword. You barely get to play the game in my experience. It enables players to play Heresy/Damnation who would otherwise not be able to due to “lack of skill” so to speak because anything that normally would be a threat is no longer an issue.

And before any “dont nerf it just buff everything else” peeps come knocking, the issue is not that the weapon is OP per se. The issue is that it is too good at doing everything. Why would you use literally any other melee weapon available to the Vet? It renders all other weapons inferior to it. Horde incoming? Dont worry fam. Crushers and maulers giving you trouble? No worries.

29 Likes

Honestly, as a Vet player who got this shortly after hitting lvl 30.

I think Vets just shouldn’t have power swords at all.
Even during lvling, as soon as I got my first one it became the best weapon no matter what rank or damager all other melee weapons were…

I was surprised when I realised Zealot has nothing even close to this.
Thunder Hammer is great for ST, but cleave is nothing compared to this.
Only weapon that slightly come close is the Heavy Eviscerator, which is my go to, but even that is weaker than Power Sword in general.

It’s bonkers.

25 Likes

Try out Zealot Tigrus (Dual handed chainsaw Sword)
i think its best sword in game, power sword cant even come near it.

also the reason everyone playing with powersword, because all other options are filled with flaws.

Shovel, bad single target, its CC heavy combo is slow, the animation needs to be faster, even for its special attack, its there to stun a single target only and with low damage.

Assault Chainsaw Sword “Single target” mostly , bad in CC, and yet very short to handle some special in melee.

2 Likes

We need a major balance pass, i’m sure the designers know, but there’s so much that it’s probably going to take a while

3 Likes

As a vet I stopped using power sword because it totally invalidates the melee part of the game. It allows aggressive/reckless play that wouldn’t otherwise be possible because nothing can touch you in melee.

3 Likes

This guy summed it all.

3 Likes

In fact, compared with the eviscerator , powersword has higher mobility and is more efficient against horde.
Powersword is also good to deal with carapace enemy. Considering that veteran already have bolter, this is not really necessary.

13 Likes

Power Sword while “Charged” or power attack is active, yeah it got infinite cleave, but how many heavy attacks you would get? with normal finesse (as it increases attack speed) max of 2 heavy swings, with a decent finesse you would get 3 at max (not sure if you can reach 4). While Tigrus/eviscerator you got 3 good combos for CC, highest damage and best used in concentrated wave “Heavy + Light”. when horde spread out from multiple directions, go for “Push Attack + Light” or can be extended to “Push Attack + 3x Light”.

As for Tigrus/eviscerator. you got huge push, higher reach, and also can deal better damage vs carapace armor, but need to spam heavy or rev it up vs heavy targets as mauler/crusher.

you can 1 tap rager with heavy attack + revved up, can remove horde + armored target in horde.

only 2 things i would say that power sword is better, is its cleave through armor when powered on, which even if bulwark in front of you with his shield, the sword would not damage bulwark, but still will kill every poxwalker in your swing, also that if lets say 2-3 Mauler all would be getting same damage, rather than your sword getting stuck on a single target.
and second is mobility.

Powersword need to be activated every 2-3 swings, unlike Tigrus/eviscerator, just spam the same combo.

1 Like

Just give the powersword to the zealot instead.

What I would NOT do, is nerf a fun and powerful weapon purely for the sake of making it more “in-line” with lesser weaker weapons. The game will not be made more fun by taking something fun away. Common sense needs to be employed here.

11 Likes

If you don’t activate any chain weapon’s special you have a serious damage penalty even doing any normal attack that ends in you chaining them. Eviscerator’s big advantage vs. the other chains is how its 1st heavy works the same empowered or not: it mows down chaff until it runs into something it can’t cleave so you can start chaining. You also need to activate it every swing and it actually exposes you to danger being locked in your chainsaw hug.

If that’s your argument you literally just explained why Bunga Sword is so hilariously OP. You get 4 empowered swings with no more ending lag than usual, they just do like 4X the damage they usually do. Not only is it 1/4 the busy work of activating the special you’re spreading that damage out to multiple elites. Its not really an issue to have to hit that Crusher multiple times if you are hitting multiple Crushers per swing, spamming them out and can dodge dance freely while doing so. The power scale comparison is terrible, power sword is the best melee in the game by a mile.

1 Like

In lower difficulties the eviscerator’s push-light attack combo is pretty effective, that’s true. But recently I am playing difficulty 5, it just doesn’t have enough damage and cleave to be effective against enemy hordes. In the end, Zealots have to rely on flamer to actually be useful in this situation.

The advantages about the power sword are actually very very important, 1. infinite cleave 2. high damage 3. charge last 3 hits. Just imagine, give the eviscerator or any other weapon infinite cleave when charged, or make the eviscerator’s charge last 3 hit, having 2 of those 3 advantages would make a pretty strong weapon.

The one thing people really need to consider is when you use the eviscerator as zealot, you have all your skills and perks to boost you damage and attack speed and impact. While veterans don’t have any of it, just rely on the raw strength of the power sword, and delete hordes like cutting paper.

1 Like

the chainsaw revving with normal heavy attack is much shorter than with special action revving, and that is where it shines, power sword do lets say 300 damage per target, to infinite models, Tigrus/eviscerator would do damage to all non specials, even armored scab, and then the sword would get stuck on a special, therefore stagger the special and do decent damage to it, while also removed a part of the hord.

also i have not said 4 sweeps, i need someone to confirm, yes mine does have 3 sweeps with a very high finesse, but never seen anyone with 4 heavy attacks in a single power up.
also you cant spam dodge, you know there is a limit to it.

maybe in my matches of 4+ difficulty , Tigrus/Eviscerator did provide me with better output, although mine is blue, and my powersword is purple.

Evis is just okay.

The issue isn’t that the powersword is good. It’s that chain weapons suck.

2 Likes

While I partially I agree the issue is lack of proper anti-armor melee weapon. Chainsword/axe on special attack SHOULD ALWAYS kill man sized unit (Rager, Mauler, Drag Rager, Gunners, Shotgunners etc.) and two-hit Ogryns as on Diff 4-5 the fact that your best anti-armor/elite attack LOCKS you in animation and ROOTS you (you can’t dodge or cancel eviserating animation) and opens you to attack of all other trash/elites around while NOT ONE HITTING your target just sucks.

For example you have 3 maulers on you on Diff 5. Lets say you have Chainsword/axe. You rev and you attack one. While in animation of chewing through one mauler you eat 2 overheads from other Maulers cause you can’t move. And best? The one you special attacked did not even die.

So yes, I would ton down Power Sword but only if rest of melee weapons will receive proper buffs to be able to carry their weight against mixed hordes on Diff 4-5.

6 Likes

What you are complaining is why dose a high tech power weapon is just better then simple slab of steel, your argument is so stupid comparing a weapon to 2 dif classes is just … /facepalm

If you play with a veteran in team who was not trash and was doing his job that means he was a good player every weapon has its strong and week points and there will always be a best weapon.

i do agree.

Armored spam is a huge gameplay issue that nothing can deal with except bolter, thats why even i as zealot i carry a bolter (depending on who the 3 others is).

think they need to down the armor on crusher and give a way to stun bulwark, as even doing 2-3 heavy attacks wont stun it.

If you don’t power up any chain weapon the following chain attack is near worthless, seriously go test this in the meat grinder yourself. Its not even at power sword’s single target damage. Also speaking of cleaving, the eviscerator actually loses damage as it cleaves instead of hitting every target for 100% damage. On high difficulties this means killing the first poxwalker and knocking the rest around greathammer style without traits to retain this cleave specifically. I’d also say its a mixed bag since the 1st light won’t reliably kill gunners/shotgunners empowered and a heavy will cleave them without stopping, making an elite thats normally quick to dispose of with chain weapons a chore to set up a chaining heavy 2. The power sword swing also starts and ends off screen when you do a heavy with decent reach. I think this would be relevant to an expert of the game such as yourself who knows about the dodge limit and other hidden mysteries of the visible stat page. And I dunno if it just this max finesse sword or something with this dumb battery related trait but I can do 4 heavies.

2 Likes

its not worthless, its good for CC more than single target damage, but yet do good amount of single target damage.

also i noticed that revving with heavy attack increases cleaving, there is no place to fully prove that but i felt that

also little note, first heavy attack with no revving , on scab gunner/scab shotgunner/dreg gunner, dreg shotgunner, scab sniper, scab bomber (any non armored target). do more damage than with revving, because when revving up, the weapon does not get stuck on them,because they lack armor. its a bug i think , therefore you need to either heavy attack them, or rev + light attack.

i really dont know if it loses cleave damage on multiple target, cant really test it out in the meat grinder, all i know there is a stat bar for it , therefore i always buy one with atleast 50% cleave targets.

thank you for confirming that you can reach 4 heavy attacks, because i never seen one or heard of, its about finesse value you have, because it shows the speed of your heavy attacks.

also you can see dodge limit by pressing the “inspect button” hover your mouse over mobility, it shows how many dodges you have and the distance you do with each dodge.

i would rather other melee weapons be brought up to par.

5 Likes

Probably becasue Fatshark was naive enough to think “oh it’s co-op gameplay so carapace should be dealt by Psyker BB or X or Y” etc. but they totally didn’t think of very common occurance on highest difficulty gameplay:

1. You remain solo/duo becasue team died. No way to deal with carapace armor enemies + horde? Welp, gg.
  2. The character that was supposed to deal with it cause it’s co-op died. What now? Anyone else can kill those 3 crushers, 2 bulwarks, 4 ragers and 3 maulers with horde? No, GG.
  3. Random groups with no class restriction: get 4 same, gg

Every class needs reliable melee way to deal with carapace armor and ragers. Currently only Crit Shred/Bleed spam Zealot, Heavy Bleed spam Shield Ogryn and Power Sword Vet can deal with that on Diff 4-5. Rest is very very risky and not worth the punishement.

Meta weapons in V2 were meta becasue they could deal with both horde and armor.

Same melee weapons will be meta here becasue that’s how Tide games are. Fatshark just can’t understand that.

2 Likes