Power Sword and Chain Weapons QoL buff

Its Special should stop “turning off” while taking damage.

That’s super annoying and makes no sense.

Edit: Power Sword and Chain weapons

8 Likes

This happens to chain weapons too and i swear it didn’t used to.

5 Likes

Not to mention all the ones that wear off while you are walking over to the bad guy… or slow you down to a crawl while the button animation is going.

6 Likes

I reported this as a bug months ago and got an acknowledgement for it.

I initially thought it was just from being staggered, but later learned it was taking any damage at all, which makes it seem like it isn’t intended behavior.

I only thought it was a bug because I don’t remember this ever happening to me using a Force Sword or Zealot/Ogryn mauls/hammers.

No idea if it will get fixed and didn’t get a reply saying it was intended behavior.

3 Likes

You‘re absolutely right - neither does it make any sense nor is it fun. The same for chainweapons.

FS should really learn that forcing players to press the activation button more often just isn’t fun… at all

2 Likes

I forgot that I also included, “after the first swing” that it didn’t matter if you swung at all. You just lose the charges from getting hit.

And I just recently finished out a lot of thoughts about another weapon needing more inputs to feel competitive. It’s absolutely not fun having to press more inputs to get less compared to a lot of other weapons.

What we have now is a huge step from the input spam that VT2 has in having to make some weapons combo in certain ways, but it feels like they aren’t being derivative enough to make things fun.

I’d still like to see the power sword be on all the time, have the damage of the unpowered mode and the cleave and armour pierce of the powered mode.

The balancing factor would be for it to be the exception to the “instant switch” rule that melee weapons have and have it have a ready time with the animation of pulling it out and turning it on. And then Power Cycler is changed to reduce the activation time when switching to the power sword.

Mainly because I personally hate the busy work that is constantly switching it on.

1 Like

I absolutely love the PS the way it is (with PC) and i hope they do not touch it anymore.

Having to activate the weapon special was annoying when getting to know the weapon, but simply becomes part of the melee rotation after a while.
I barely notice it anymore, aside from having a small downtime between attack chains, which i use to quickly look around for priority targets to shoot at.

Imo, the weapon is perfect for the veteran, as it is now.

I also do not have a problem with the PC blessing basically being mandatory to use. It is a legitimate way of balancing the weapon.
The only problem is, that getting the blessing in the first place, is purely RNG. If we had a way to unlock blessings of choice, without RNG, it would simply mean that you have to put a slightly higher investment into the weapon in order to make it work well.

It’s a tired out topic about how bad the Blessing system currently is with our options and how the Power Sword pre-nerf was a lot more fun to use compared to now, even if it functionally performs the same.

The Blessing system just sucks. It was built on the idea of altering weapons’ playstyles only for it to end up with us picking the Blessings that give us the most damage.

Tangentially I love that the Power Sword has Brutal Momentum. I have a much better rolled PS with Power Cycler and Rending and my old BM PS is still better in both feel and output.

It’s like a slap in the face. Fatshark’s maker’s mark.

1 Like

So there are at least three blessing combinations that are good on the PS (slaughterer+PC; rending+PC; BM+?).
That sounds pretty alright to me.

Out of all of those combinations, all they do is make us do more damage. One particularly gives you a few more swings, but that just reduces the amount of inputs you have to make, which results in a better “feel”* of the weapon.

I only think Brutal Momentum feels amazing on the PS because it gives you that actual fantasy of cutting entire hordes with a weapon that canonically has titanic strength. BM is also just unbeatable in most use cases right now. Definitely an outlier.

The whole point is that the weapon would be made to behave differently, or change the way the player behaves with the weapon. I’d have to go through all of my weapons and their Blessings to say that the system has made me use them differently. Maybe the Salvo type Blessings, but those are all added time/input for less gain compared to other options.

*Thinking about it now, anything that makes the weapon inherently feel “better” to use should just be a default thing. But balance is so fickle in a game where it’s already skewed in Veteran’s favor and that operative really doesn’t need the buffs.

I feel like it was a design mistake to have the power sword have different damage profiles between powered and unpowered, as I always saw it as the power field disrupting or weakening armour its hitting (normalising damage against all armour types and +cleave) and it’s still the sword bit doing the damage work.

As it is currently, it has the audio-visual underwhelmingness of the beta chainsword (where it wasn’t even revving when swinging normally) and just way too much busywork if you don’t have Power Cycler.

1 Like

No way its intended because i can get charged by a mutie with a revved chainaxe and if he tosses me it’ll still be revved when i go to hit him. But if some dude shoots my toughness suddenly it vanishes.

Thats how its supposed to be. Its not getting more cleave than a normal sword per se its just able to cleave anything. Its a nonsensical mechanic for sure as the lore goes but it serves a valid tabletop reason for existing: giving room to basic melee weapons tovexist.

I think empowered moves don’t have uninterruptible tags. Doesn’t really fit with my vision of a Zealot taking a blow to gore his eviscerator in deeper but there you go. However Zealot does have the single best talent in the game to totally avoid this and in general slide on darktide with no worries, and its by far best in slot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.