[PC] Vermintide 2 - Back to Ubersreik - OUT NOW!

Yes those are all things that won’t do much to player numbers anymore. Those are mostly things you want at launch as a dev. Because I don’t think anybody will return even if it changed now.
This is exactly why I’m generally disappointed about V2 because they didn’t really do anything with what was to learn from V1. Sure we got twice the enemies and a bit more hero variation and that’s a huge + but there was so much more that could have been improved (or not downgraded for no reason) that would have made this game truly great.

But the saddest thing overall for me is that most players I know that left say that they had enought. Not because of the gameplay but because they were sick and tired of everything else.

1 Like

Tell them see yall when V3 drops!

Just a game man

3owvKqbjGGpzKyPhba

2 Likes

I don’t think the retention has anything to do with challenge, considering how few people have cleared even champ skittergate on steam achievements. There does seem to be kind of a retention issue, but it’s more complicated than that. Most people that enjoy vermintide still aren’t going to rack up thousands of hours in it; they’re going to play another 10 or so hours every time a patch comes out, or only when their friends are on, or an hour or two after work to unwind from a stressful day. Vermintide fits very nicely as a game to play in between other big title games. Due to the limited maps and progression it doesn’t take all that long to get everyone to 30 and beat all the maps on legend… once you get to that point, you’re not gonna keep racking up the hours unless vermintide really scratches that itch for you. Just the nature of this type of game.

I would also imagine that the people updating the wiki and making those spreadsheets got tired of constantly updating them and realized it might be better to wait on that until the game is more stable… you know, in like another year xD

1 Like

Yeah, the extreme few would ever want to try harder difficulties or even bother with them. The majority want a watered down casual experience with the game, its just what it is. The vast majority aren’t so concerned about even repeating maps, one playthrough is “beating the game” and that’s enough for them. Can’t really change that. 10 hours is enough of a game for most of them.

2 Likes

Indeed, but lack of challenge for the people driving the community is a part of it. That’s all I’m saying. There’s a difficulty curve that is hard to adapt to as a casual player, that’s another aspect of the issue. It’s not one thing, it’s several that makes out the whole.

1 Like

I can predict next several weapons:
Kruber: dual swords, dual maces
Bardin: axe & hammer
Kerillian: axe & sword
Saltzpyre: dual falchions, dual axes
Are you serious? Ea, let’s give paired weapons for everyone, and forgot the fact that it is actually very hard to dual wield, but who cares.
Crowbill is great idea, one handed axe for elf - ok good (I don’t think axe is too much elven weapon, but I don’t know lore and it is purely my personal opinion). Dual hammers - I heard people asking for it.
But why you take two completely different weapons and mixed them together? It is so dissapointing. It gives impression that you or in hurry or just lazy or don’t care. I hope it is former.

3 Likes

Game seems to run way smoother after this release. Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you for finally making Pyromancer’s Burning Head an actual skull again, finally fixing the last glaring issue going back to the pre-release beta. I can finally feel comfortable playing the game knowing it’s a finished product.

While I have some opinions about the rest of the thread I am trying to keep myself out of the line of fire here as my opinions don’t quite match the tonality of the populace. However, this bit seems like a shot in the dark. I am confused why you are concerned about this:

Dare I say it’s actually quite predictable. Kerillian has already had her S&D dual weapons (a slashing and a stabbing paired?) which no one has complained about thus far, even when she has 3 dual-wield kits. If you are referring to the historical regularity of dual-wielding, it was nearly zero, so Kerillian is already stretching the bounds. Bardin is doing it with dual-axes (a pair of weapons that, physically, can’t be wielded effectively unless each arm is strong enough to melt steel beams).

At this point, I think it is fair to say we have entered the realm of ‘Fantasy’. Given that our heroes are so talented that they can fight tirelessly through 1500 Skaven in about 20 minutes, I am willing to bet they have surpassed the treatises made by teachers of melee weapons from most martial arts and have ascended to begin wielding Maces&Swords because, damn-it, they are just better at it than we are. Also, if all I had was a sword and I knew I could dual-wield efficiently and all I could find was a mace… I’d wield a mace, too.

Not liking the weapons themselves: that’s totally fair, please go ahead and dislike them for what they are/who they are assigned to. Saying that dual-wielding isn’t a reasonable scenario, however, is just goofy when we are in the Warhammer universe. Have you see Sigmar? The dude’s hammer would weigh 20 times more than a weapon you could wield properly if it was hollow. Apologies for the rant and I hope you have a great day!

2 Likes

After playing through the dlc and unlocking some new weapons and the hidden level it has to be said, great work FS.

In my opinion this is one of the best dlc’s.

5 Likes

Yep, just unlocked the hidden level. Very nice. I have found all the tomes and grims except 1 tome on Engines of War and 1 grim there. Gonna go look for it later. Enjoying the new weapons as well.

2 Likes

A hidden lvl was the surprise? Kind of a bummer, but cool I guess. I really have my Hope’s up for a warrior priest.

Is the hidden level like a full sized map?

It seem to be a survival type of game. It’s the massive courtyard from horn of magnus. I fired it up just to see real quick, but had to go feed my kid. So I haven’t actually played it yet.

1 Like

Aah yes indeed. My kids are studying for exams and with my own courseload and work, alas, am not downloading this distraction until this week is over. Anyways it does let Fatshark sort out the major bugs too.

No time or energy for games, plus it distracts my kids and they can’t be distracted this week.

2 Likes

Idk what you fixed, but ogre still doing 180 slams left and right

This is definitely one of those things where an actual big report with a console.log or a video would go a long ways…

I haven’t noticed any instant aggro switches since the patch.

1 Like

Any game or fiction have real and fictional parts in it. The thing is, in good game or fiction, fictional parts is limited to some extent. For example In game like Borederlands, no fall damage feels completely normal. If we would not had fall damage in Vermintide it would seem strange, because this game feel “real” exept it’s fictional parts.
Problem is, this boundaries is quite flimsy and wary in representation for different people. In my vision it is completely normal that two of five characters can dual wield (especially Kerillian wich lived gods know how many years, and Bardin Slayer ~= berserker stereotype), but four of five? No, I do not believe. Also this change makes other characters less unique and more similar, which I think is good argument.

2 Likes

I agree that less unique is an issue; everyone from VT1 had wildly unique styles which made their characters exciting and powerful in their own right. This is a great point to make and I want to address it a little later in my post.

I also agree that getting the game to feel real is a very powerful part of immersion, though I think we have a disconnect of opinions on where this game becomes more fiction-y (which is totally reasonable, I see you said very specifically that this was your vision of things and that’s absolutely okay :smiley: I’m just trying to convince you to the contrary in a polite way). These characters are already doing ridiculously difficult things, so I think that the following logic says that dual-wielding is fairly realistic for them in the setting we have been given.

Being a talented fighter means very little for dual-wielding… in real life, we have had plenty of masters who wrote books on how to beat people during swordplay. The issue is how your body produces the force of a blow; this force simply can’t be had when wielding two weapons (unless the enemy is particularly vulnerable or you, as a person/character, are outrageously strong). ‘Berserkers’ didn’t dual wield, either, they were mostly sword&shield because they wanted to live.

My final point would be to argue that it is actually really cool for them all to have access to a dual-wield kit, given that in any one game I doubt more than 2 players would have a dual-wield kit at the time. Foot Knight is probably going to show up with a shield, I (as Kerillian in nearly all my careers) prefer a spear, Ironbreaker will likely show with a shield as well, and ol’Saltzy might just show up with his faithful flail! Then, you can still have everyone show up as thematic, unique, and powerful in their own right.

Moreover I think Kruber is the most capable character in the bunch to dual wield given his frame. More size, more strength, more momentum: the mace is an excellent weapon choice to match his sword.

yea boi

5 Likes