P Sword and Flamer nerfs were justified

Huh? Uncharged PS attacks are stronger in every single aspect vs shovel that has the same attack pattern on heavies. You get more damage, cleave and penetration. And I’m able to clear damnation with shovel just fine, so I can’t see the PS base attacks needing any buffs, only scrubs that need to git gud.

1 Like

I guess the changes were justified if the objective was to satisfy a vocal minority of players unrepresentative of the community at large.

I cherish my dozens of hours of joy with the original flamer. But its over, thanks to you.

4 Likes

@fbolduc Darktide was one of the few indulgences I had after work each day, and I’ve enjoyed it immensely, so this hits hard to me as well.

4 Likes

Shovel is a strange point of reference. Sure you can finish games with it, it doesn’t make it good.

Again a strange stamp of quality for a game, based on TWO out of dozens of available weapons, but you do you.

Play your BM Axes while you still can, sweats are coming for them next, because chopping through rotting zombies is fun, and fun is not allowed if your haven’t sweatlorded your way through each perk/blessing/feat/passive ability Excel spreadsheet.

2 Likes

Shovel is a great point of reference because they have the same attack pattern, PS is simply stronger in every way and has the lame charge up gimmick. Can’t handle it without the gimmick, that’s a you problem, it does not need any buffs.

What? That’s is horrible! An actual sword having stronger attacks than a tool made to dig? This is preposterous DEVS NEFT IT MORE NOW.

3 Likes

Are you really bringing up the “realism” card to a Warhammer game discussions? :grin:

1 Like

@JanZamoysky “you do you”

Well, that’s what I had been doing. I found my preferred weapon build. I grinded for the resources and upgrades to do so, became proficient with them and was happy unwinding with them. That was how I had fun after work. That’s no longer an option for me as a result of these changes. With that in mind, I hope you’ll understand why I’m upset.

4 Likes

I played shovel + Revolver pretty much since begin on Vet. I’ve also carried one or another run with it.

So far i would say “strong or not” is subjective. I would call it balanced and other stuff too strong at some point.
And that’s easy said since i try to compare stuff while playing it, check hiw fluent it works and if it’s a viable pick to clear damanation.

But ofc if poeple expect to be able to solo each run or want everything killed in 1-2 hits, then my sense of balancing is clearly not in their favor and a shovel will be useless.

Honestly changes were justified to make other weapons shining.
When you have too OP weapons, the other weapons have difficulties to find a public.
I have read several times in the chat people that said me that I should not use “niche” weapon, that a revolver has no place in damnation, that shotgun is worst darktide weapon etc.
What people do is to take the strongest weapons and several after will argue that they play really good cause of their score with the boltgun!
I have seen really good players, and I am not afraid to say that I have yet a lot to learn from other players, especially on damnation difficulty. But the real good players that impressed me were players that were using niche weapons. Last ones were one guy that was using a laspistol and before that one that was a player using an infantry autogun.
A game has to get things balanced. This doesn’t mean equal. A boltgun should continue to explode lot of enemies… the braced autoguns should still be efficient at horde clearing etc.
This just means that, when you take a weapon, you should have several strong points and several disadvantages that makes them balanced toward all other weapons.

Also, people tend to listen too much others. I ask also advice. The zealot group on discord has always told me good advice, However, I try also things that are not described by community as the way to do it.
I have just tested a kantrael on my vet with 2 blessings that give the weapon a really good power (no it is not no respite and full bore).
Wanted to test… and it works better than what I could think.

I tested, by example, a bolter without pinning fire. Guess what? not so much difference between one with and the other without. Bolter problem is not here… and, I don’t think this part has to be nerfed. The problem is more to give a space to other weapons. That’s why I propose to reduce its precision at “long” range. It would let the bolter a great weapon… but it would give several weapons a specific use that they could do better… I can snipe with my bolter and kill a sniper far away of me… yes the recoil is great, but, seriously, it is really powerful when you can clean everything in a room and yet kill a sniper at long range…

2 Likes

I just tried a damnation run with the “new” power sword its pretty clunky but I can use it still.

Bound the activation button to the thumb button on my mouse a long time ago and I used to re activate quite a lot when I was fighting horde and had the space even if I didn’t need too so its not too big a deal for me. Power cycler will be mandatory for sure now though and not everyone has it.

Just have to move about a bit more and respect the horde a bit more than before. Thin out blobs with a grenade if you have too shove to make space for activation or just time it immediately after your last swing of the three and its not so bad.

It’s still a terrible decision from fat shark though and its going to damage trust of the players who cant cope post nerf.

Fixing the stamina penalty on power sword should happen imo if they want you to move more instead of just cleaving everything down give back the stamina!

edit* I might collect all the unhappy posts ive seen about this from people like you who are just playing for fun after work and put it here on this forum for them to see.

5 Likes

It isn’t my problem, as I never regularly used it outside psy-lab. Precisely because it’s overpowered, and has boring attack patterns. Pretty brain-dead to use, but then I can understand why some people might enjoy that type of gameplay.

You can also argue the PS changes did not actually address the underlying problem with the weapon. This issue affects all power weapons as they don’t consume any resources, but the other two are more CC not damage based so most people didn’t catch up to the fact that especially Crusher allows you to trivilise the melee and even some ranged enemies.

To be frank, even something like Illisi force sword should get its peril cost increased depending on number of hit targets, but then that is slightly off-topic.

This is what most players are going to discover, it just more repeatable button presses for the same result. I would imagine the main limitation is going to be hard ambush situations with thick horde mixed with armour, but then as a vet you don’t want to be there regularly anyway?

I would imagine Fatshark gave it to the vet as a weapon you can quickly kill some horde trickle which got to you and go back to shooting, but it turns out to be a weapon outperforming a lot of melee class dedicated weapons.

Without consuming actual resources, even rechargeable, power sword will never stop being controversial from the perspective of melee combat in Tide games. As far I know it is already not lore accurate.

So you want other people to stop using the weapons they find the most fun because there are too many people that find them the most fun.

So you saw someone that said they were “good”, but you disagreed. How is that relevant to anything?

Why do you care so much about “being good”?

Do you understand that the majority of us don’t care about any of that? All we want is to have fun.

7 Likes

I think his argument is that is a statistical indicator that the weapon out-performs other options and this was clearly visible in average vet loadouts.

1 Like

Yes, I understood that. And I agree that I have seen many people use the Power Sword. What I don’t understand is why is this problem?

5 Likes

If you kill all the stuff before i get to meaningfully contribute its boring.

The flamer didnt even get nerfed very hard.
The power sword has bigger problems with its on off switch.

2 Likes

Absolutely not… This is not cause you reduce the power of a too strong weapon that people will stop using it. This is when you make it bad that they would stop using it.

A boltgun is really too strong… when I see someone using a bolter and that steal all ammos and succeed to yell 9 times in the mission “need ammo” and use only auto fire… His score can be good on the scoreboard mod, but this is a bad player.
When I see a player that can manage with weapons, that are not the best weapons, to reverse a situation where the entire team is on ground with his laspistol and a tactical axe… well here I see a great player.
The point is that we all know what are the too strong weapons… and, guess what, this is the weapons that are the most used. But, using them make the game less fun for others, if they are too strong.

EDIT: Boltgun is too strong cause it can handle all situations. I would not say this if the weapon could not snipe things far away. Cause the boltgun has a reload time that is his weakness. But the gun can clear so many things and yet can snipe in a one shot something far away of you… where the revolver cannot one shot it unless you put the right blessings

I want to take fun also. And to take fun I prefer that I don’t have to be a simple spectator cause 3 weapons are so OP that, when someone use them, they can clear the entire map without any help.