There are 30 challenges for the Outcast Engineer. Here is a guide to help you complete them.
- Pest Control - Use the Crank Gun to kill 100 climbing enemies.
This can be done as you complete other challenges and play the game normally. Just keep in mind to blast some hordes as they try to climb up on certain parts of maps.
- Targeting Array - As the Outcast Engineer, score 20 (It’s actually only 5, despite this saying 20) subsequent headshots on Elite enemies using the Masterwork Pistol.
Make sure you don’t have Armour Piercing Slugs on, which will cause penetration and can cause you to fail this. You can use a map like Empire in Flames which guarantees you two Chaos Warriors in the start of the map and guarantees Chaos enemies in general. 5 headshots is all it takes to finish this, and then you must complete the map.
- Superior Technology - Kill 15 Ratling Gunners using the Steam-Assisted Crank Gun (Mk II).
Using the talent Gromril-Plated Shots you can easily dispatch the armored Ratling Gunner specials with your Crank Gun.
- An Eye for a Target - As the Outcast Engineer, score 1,000 headshots with the Masterwork Pistol.
This is likely going to be a grind. One way to help with that is to start a Send in the Next Wave deed on a map like Righteous Stand, then stand next to the ammo box at the end of the level where enemies will congo-line towards you. This is also a good spot to pick up cliff kills if you need it for Pest Control.
- Tinkerer’s Tempo - Successfully maintain max Pressure for the Crank Gun as it is about to drop 100 times.
Using the talent Experimental Steam Capacitors, this challenge is much easier to complete. When your stacks are about to expire, give it a crank. It also won’t expire your stacks to shoot or hit max energy, so you can just shoot a few shots and then crank to keep your stacks up.
- Fundamental Force - As the Outcast Engineer, cause 200 enemies to fall to their deaths using the Cog Hammer.
On Righteous Stand when you pass the second grim, you get a drop down and proceed along a cliff edge. That spot should be fairly easy to cliff enemies at using the Cog Hammer. Send in the Next Wave deed can also help here.
- Field Trials - Complete a mission killing enemies only with the Crank Gun.
If you want to take the easy route or do it alone, load up a recruit mission on something like Athel Yenlui or Against the Grain and just go through it killing only with the Crank Gun. Move through the map as fast as you like. Talents like Experimental Steam Capacitors and Innovative Ammo Hoppers will likely make your life easier. Avoid getting kills with barrels. You can use your melee weapon to block and push, but be mindful that if you push an enemy and it dies to terrain (like cliffing), the kill will be attributed to you.
- I Love the Smell of Black Powder - As the Outcaster Engineer, shoot an ignited explosive barrel and have it kill 20 enemies.
Skaven hordes are the best because the super fragile slave rats will be ideal fodder for an explosive barrel. Might want to let more than one group pile up before destroying a barrel. Having someone use a shield and keep the enemies back while more pile up is also helpful. Corralling enemies by using a hallway or something similar is also helpful.
- Endrinkuli’s War Song - Fire the Steam-Assisted Crank Gun (Mk II) for 50 seconds in one activation.
Innovative Ammo Hoppers is really useful here, instead of trying to chain concentration potions with Decanter/Proxy from team mates. If you’re having trouble keeping it going, you can get it easily by going on Horn of Magnus and starting the Assassin event (Pouch Pilferer challenge) near the start of the level.
- Come to Bardin… - Find the lost cog.
Located in the keep, it can be found in several locations. If I missed or something is wrong, let me know.
The next 8 challenges are just normal playthroughs.
Trial by Plague I: Outcast Engineer - Complete all Helmgart missions on Recruit difficulty as Outcast Engineer.
Trial by Plague II: Outcast Engineer - Complete all Helmgart missions on Veteran difficulty as Outcast Engineer.
Trial by Plague III: Outcast Engineer - Complete all Helmgart missions on Champion difficulty as Outcast Engineer.
Trial by Plague IV: Outcast Engineer - Complete all Helmgart missions on Legend difficulty as Outcast Engineer.
Optimised for Battle - Complete 25 missions as the Outcast Engineer.
For all the Proving Ground challenges, you can avoid a failure by leaving the game before the “Defeated” message appears and you can’t access the menu any more. Or you can play it normally, win or lose. If you do decide to leave to avoid failure, please only do so as client, not host. Be courteous to your fellow rat slayers.
Proving Grounds: Plague - Complete Act 1 without failing a mission on Legend difficulty or above as Outcast Engineer.
Proving Grounds: Darkness - Complete Act 2 without failing a mission on Legend difficulty or above as Outcast Engineer.
Proving Grounds: Unholy - Complete Act 3 without failing a mission on Legend difficulty or above as Outcast Engineer.
- Interception Barrage - Hit a leaping Rat Ogre with a bomb as Outcast Engineer.
If there is a magical way of making Rat Ogres leap more often, you’ve got me. You can try using stealth to lose aggro at a distance and hope he jumps. Backing away from him while he comes towards you might yield mixed results. You can also get a speedy character like Handmaiden without stealth and have her dash and run from him to create large gaps that might proc a jump. Screaming Bell guarantees a Rat Ogre 100% of the time and is ideal for this.
- Ong, Tuk, Dwe, Fut, Sak - Throw 5 Bombs at a single monster as the Outcast Engineer.
Grenadier trait on Trinket and triple bombs will hopefully allow you all 5 bombs on a monster. Have bots/team mates give bombs if that isn’t enough.
- We Have the Technology - Kill 3,000 enemies with the Crank Gun.
Armour Piercing Slugs, Experimental Steam Capacitors, and Linked Compression Chamber/Innovative Ammo Hoppers talents will help here. Unleash volleys into hordes. You should achieve this naturally but can use a Send in the Next Wave deed to make it faster.
- Mass Destruction - Kill 50 enemies in a single Crank Gun barrage.
Armour Piercing Slugs, Experimental Steam Capacitors, and Linked Compression Chamber/Innovative Ammo Hoppers talents will help here as well. Concentration potion before a volley may also help, but honestly it’s probably gratuitous at that point. Let a big horde come and then unleash into them. Dragging a bunch of ambient mobs along with a horde can also help. Twitch Mode can help if you’re really having a tough time.
- Targeting Calibration – Kill a Monster, a Special, and an Elite in a single Crank Gun activation.
Gromril-Plated Shot/Innovative Ammo Hoppers and concentration potion might be useful here but aren’t necessary. Make sure you have an Elite around along with a Monster. When the Monster has low hp, wait for a special and then use the Crank Gun to kill all three enemies in whichever order you see fit.
- Bombardment - Using a Bomb, Kill a distant Ratling Gunner as Outcast Engineer.
The Bombardier talent is ideal here. Hit a Ratling Gunner directly and it should die on any difficulty. A strength potion shouldn’t be necessary. The range for this has to be greater than 25. To give you an idea, Standard Bearers’ standard has a radius of 15. So if you kill a Ratling Gunner at a distance equal to or greater than a Standard’s diameter (30), that is more than sufficient.
- Like Cogwork - Slay 1,000 enemies with the Cog Hammer as Outcast Engineer.
Smash away at the ratties! Nothing special here. Scavenged Shot and Superior Gaskets talents can help here though.
- Tech, No Mage - Use the Cog Hammer to kill a Blight Stormer, a Leech, and Burblespue Halescourge as Outcast Engineer.
This can be done on different maps and through multiple playthroughs. Just deal the killing blow with the Cog Hammer. Blight Stormers sometimes have a tendency to teleport near you if they lack line of sight.
- Peacemaker - Kill 150 Elites and Specials with the Masterwork Pistol as Outcast Engineer.
The Steam Pistol is strong at closer ranges. It should make quick work 1-2 shotting many enemies. You should obtain this naturally without having to try for it.
- Stout Heart, Steady Aim - Using the Masterwork Pistol’s alternate fire, shoot a Monster 30 times without missing as Outcast Engineer.
It’s important to note that it should read “shoot Monsters 30 times” instead of “shoot a Monster 30 times”. It’s worded wrong and you can use the alternate fire close to Monsters to help with accuracy. You can shoot different Monsters throughout a map to achieve this. It does not have to be the same Monster. Maps with guaranteed Monsters are useful for this, such as Against the Grain or Screaming Bell.
- Where’s the Kaboom? - Kill 500 enemies using Bombs as Outcast Engineer.
Just be liberal with your bombs on hordes and this should come naturally.
- Patent Pending - Complete all Outcast Engineer challenges.