Ogryn; Pickaxe toughness

Ive been playing the Pickaxe, and the special attack is the most fun ive had in a long time.
Im currently using the below, mainly for the push attack with the second hit combo. This has great cleave and sweeping. The light attack combo leaves me wanting.

The special attack stuns almost everything, save bosses. Combo’d with Torment and I easily one-shot Maulers.

Yes, the toughness replenishment is weak, I am still trying to figure out how to adjust against range.

I previously used the bonk stick and almost rarely broke toughness due to the insane regen.

The most difficult thing about the pickaxe’s attack speed it your teammates killing the chaff and starving you of toughness regen. Most players think they’re helping, (which they are) so its a tough pill to swallow.

2 Likes

“Out of all available options, I deliberately chose the ones that don’t help me to fight gunners at all. Why are gunners so annoying?”

Beats me, mate.

The Torment blessing isn’t working my guy. It’s basically useless currently. The bonus isn’t being applied.

See its bug report:

Unless the issue is exclusively with the Branx. Which would be funny. If that’s the case don’t mind me lol

It is working, Thats the Branx Axe. Im using a different axe. The pull mechanic on the Branx is a butt push away, the other 2 are a pull…

Yeah I just noticed. Naive of me to expect blessings of a weapon type to behave the same across its marks.

One could infer from this that FS is either manually tuning blessings for each mark or that they’re simply not using global values for a weapon type’s blessings.

1 Like

I was just thinking about the variants of weapons and how silly it is, Im sure most of the community would pefer 3 different weapons, rather than 3 similar axes.

Its also very confusing when crafting, I mistakenly bought 20+ of the wrong axe , :person_facepalming: but I was blessing farming so it worked out regardless.

1 Like

I know that feeling man. I know. Especially when you get a great 370+ roll only to realize that is the wrong mark…

1 Like

Is there truly a wrong one? I think Branx could be good, with the massive first/2nd target damage on its push attack. With All or Nothing it could be quite powerful. Definitely Borovian and Karsolas are great to me though. Will have to put more time into the janx bigaxe.

1 Like

I don’t think this thread needs any more comments, as just about all the words about closing the distance to gunners have been said :smiley:

Borovian has the preferred push attack IMO. Its a shove and then full cleave left to right, the follow up light attack is another sweep right. It doesnt kill but it just bunch up the little guys.

The issue with the Borovian is its light attack combos, it is mainly single target, which for a big man, can be tough to deal if you get surrounded.

The pull attack is also preferred as the light attack is a sweeping uppercut and very fun, the charge attack after the pull is a headshot.

Karsolas has the preferred light combo attack. I havnt figured out the ideal timing to pair in the heavy swing (it think it may be the 3rd attack, light/light/heavy) all horde clearing sweeps.

The Karsolas has a single target push attack, which punches the butt of the axe at a target. I think the Karsolas will be preferred by most since the light attack combos are easy and effiecient horde clear.

The Karsolas special pull is a double downward single target, which is just as fun.

Overall, I may just end up using Kasolas even though I like the push attack from the Borovian 100 fold, the issue with that being a main attack is once you run out of stamina, you are stuck with a light attack combo that is single target.

I didnt mention the charge attack combos since they are soo slow ATM the team usually kills whatever I am charging up to swing at. Still requires more playtime.

Branx I have not played since I am having fun with the pull attack combo.

Gunner Resist on curios makes them a lot more tolerable. The real (temporary) issue of the patch IMO is that people are trying out the new ranged weapons. Neither is particularly amazing at clearing the room of shooters at any distance, let alone gunners, so everyone is taking a lot more damage than usual.

@Mr.Nixon you might find this of interest. Also anyone else who doesn’t have time or isn’t interested in working out pickaxe attack combos by themselves. A really comprehensive pickaxe attack combos/rotation breakdown by @Hank_jw (I think that’s the correct Hank) .

I have to say I’m loving my Borovian experience. Headtaker and All or Nothing turns it into full on carnage on screen.

1 Like

Is Karsolas the light one? If so then that’s the only one I deem usable.

An ideal melee weapon will be amazing against hordes and have a special attack for special enemies.

Since ogryn is forced to play with heavy swings (zero perk in skill tree for light attack Toughness) that means that horde attacks have to be using heavy swings. The light pick has 2 powerful side sweeps for both it’s heavy attack chains. It then has the strike down after the special hook for elites and specials.

The other axes don’t have good heavy attack options for hordes so they are obsolete for me.

Only 1 weapon blessing can give Toughness on light attack I believe? But I’d rather the blessings used for damage if I’m forced to always heavy swing anyway.

Confident Strike. Borovian reminds me a bit of polehammer / poleaxe style weapons from Chivalry games. You have to think ahead about positioning when attacking.

1 Like

The ogryn has so many perks for heavy hits in the skill tree though that it just feels like a dreadful waste if you’re using light attacks. If the skill tree had Toughness for light attacks then I would definitely choose some but unfortunately none exist.

I’d prefer power buffs for both blessings anyway, which works well for the light pick as its base damage is less than the others.

Just my way of playing oc :pray:

Which is fine, but comes at the cost :grin: This is where the scoreboard mods come useful as you can see how much damage you have taken and how much overkill damage you have done, compare to averages with different weapons /builds etc. It’s easier to decide whatever you can lose one of the power blessings / talents for something like Confident Strike or Slow and Steady.

I can’t 1 shot a crusher with the special on damnation auric so I have no overpower :joy:

It leaves aprox 5-10% of crusher health after a special weak spot attack, even with 3 stacks of 20% power loaded up.

If I can 1 shot a crusher then I can start scaling down my damage output… Until then, nah lol

Another good point about charging up power for heavy swings is that it increases cleave and impact so I can spread the damage further into the chaff.

So you need 2 hits to kill it anyway, not worth chasing that target in my opinion. Crushers arent that common threat as people paint them to be. More than 95% of the time you deal with other enemies.

Only 1 more normal hit though. Even a light attack finished them off after that.

I can usually 1 shot a mauler which I can’t do without the blessing (I will need to double check that but pretty certain). And 1 Shotting those bar stewards is worth every blessing lol

Sorry I just realised that this is including IV Torment blessing too. So add another 24% power to that hit.

I will likely change that but unlocking the IV blessings has been a total bore so far. As usual just wasted heaps of plasteel on oodles of useless T3 blessings.

2 Likes